Memorial Plaque - In grateful Memory of Alfred Michael Nicholas Esq, (1881-1937)
From the Collection of Mission to Seafarers Victoria 717 Flinders Street Docklands Victoria
- A heavy ceramic plaque with moulded metal alloy frame, polychrome glazed irregular ceramic tesserae design and memorial text in Gothic script in central lozenge set into a rectangular clay base.
- H 35.0 x W 53.0 x D 3.0 (including frame)
- annual-report, victoria-missions-to-seamen, victorian-seamens-mission, melbourne-missions-to-seamen, port-melbourne-seamens-institute, williamstown-sailors-rest, central-institue, australian-wharf, 1908, plaque, alfred m. nicholas, memorial
- This plaque was made to commemorate the generous funds donated Mr A.M Nicholas in 1936 towards the building of the new Mission to Seamen at Port Melbourne opened in 1937. Mr Nicholas died in Feb 1937 and this plaque was dedicated and unveiled by his nephew Mr Nicholas Lightfoot in December 1937. (see also MTSV 0641 for exterior view of the building which was demolished in the late 1990s) ref: The Argus Dec 6th 1937.
The plaque is really similar to the memorial plaque made in memory of Ethel Godfrey (see item 2053).
- Brooks Robinson & Co (Maker)
- Mr Nicholas together with Mr HW Shmith organised rights to produce Aspirin aka ASPRO in Australia in 1915 during WW1. The Nicholas Family were significant philanthropists in Melbourne and Victoria and this plaque commemorates his gift to the visiting seamen between 1937 and late 20th C.
- in each corner design features initials: "ihs" / IN central lozenge of design text reads: " To the Glory of God/ and in grateful memory of/ ALFRED MICHAEL NICHOLAS Esq / through whose generous gift/ the whole of this Institute / and Chapel were built./ Died February 26th 1937"
- 1 May 2019 at 8:45PM