Original jewellery design for 'Britannia' pendant by Ernest Leviny, designed when he was living in London c1851, before travelling to the Australian goldfields of Castlemaine in late 1852. Leviny and his partner, Frederick Boocke, supplied jewellery designs to Watherston and Brogden in London. This design was made into a pendant by another London company, S.H. & D. Gass and was awarded a prize medal at the Great Exhibition of 1851 at the Crystal Palace in London. Leviny brought many of his original jewellery designs with him when he came out to Australia from Britain. See Schofield, Anne & Fahy, Kevin (1991), 'Australian jewellery: 19th and early 20th century'; Woodbridge, Suffolk, Antique Collectors Club, p. 39; Gere, Charalotte & Rudoe, Judy (2010), 'Jewellery in the Age of Queen Victoria', Pub.The British Museum p.340.
This original jewellery design for the 'Britannia' pendant by noted colonial silversmith and jewellery, Ernest Leviny, is significant due to its link with the 'Britannia Pendant' awarded a prize medal at Great Exhibition of 1851, held at the Crystal Palace in London.
Original jewellery design for a pendant featuring a standing woman (Britannia) holding a trident in her left hand and possible oar in her right hand, with Gothic style ornate pillars on each side and an archway overhead. Beneath the figure are three pearl drops. Drawn in pencil on grey card with gold ink highlights and red watercolour tinting.