Open front upper undergarment
From the Collection of Churchill Island Heritage Farm 1 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria
- Limerick lace. Square net- improcurable now. (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12
- Front panels ea 25.5 cm wide 43 cm long; pack panel 29.5 cm wide 41 cm long
- lace, churchill island, janet amess lace collection, limerick, square net, amess, garment, undergarment, clothing
- The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are:
Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island.
Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane
Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell
Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.
- c 1850
- The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.
- Packed with note"Real Limerick Lace undergarment" and two notes in Janet Amess' writing see 0036
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:11AM