Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Lace Collar

From the Collection of Churchill Island Heritage Farm 246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

Bobbin Silk, Maltese Silk, hand made bobbin lace.
32 cm long 18 cm wide
Object Registration
janet amess lace collection, lace, churchill island, janet, amess, bobbin, maltese, silk, embroidery
Historical information
The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are:
Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island.
Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane
Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell
Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.
When Made
c 1865
The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.
Inscriptions & Markings
Packaged with note: "Lace collar Maltese Lace"
Last updated
8 May 2020 at 9:28AM