The "Q" Theatre Guild grew out of and amalgamated the Kew Light Opera Company in 1957. Productions were initially held in the Kew Recreation Hall and subsequently in the Kew Civic Hall. The Company would appear to have run until the mid-1960s. Arthur Henry Dear was an employee of the City of Kew, acting as Hall Keeper of the Kew Recreation Hall in Wellington Street, and later the new Kew City Hall in Cotham Road. The Arthur Dear Collection contains memorabilia - tickets, programmes, invitations - as well as his identification badge. Items in the collection dates from the 1940s to the 1960s.
The Kew Recreation Hall (Wellington Street) and later the Kew City Hall (Cotham Road) were major locations in suburban Melbourne in the postwar period for civic and private events including theatre productions and exhibitions. The Arthur Dear Collection (in conjunction with the scrapbooks compiled by Marion Tilley) provide a comprehensive snapshot of performing arts in Kew during the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. The collection includes valuable data about performances, performers, directors etc., during this period.
Theatre programme. "Q" Theatre Guild presents "Love's A Luxury": Farcical Comedy by Guy Paxtion and Ed. V. Haile. Four page bi-fold programme listing title, dates of performance, cast list, production details, and advertisements. 4pp.