Publicity photograph of two men and a woman inspecting architectural models for a new Kew City Hall. The man at the right of the photograph is Cr Hugh George Ferguson, Mayor of Kew 1959-60. The Hall, now occupied by the Kew Library, was opened by Sir Robert Menzies in 1960.
The original Kew Town Hall offices were located in Walpole Street, Kew. Before 1960, even though it had been much discussed over a number of decades, Kew did not have a 'civic hall'. When required, events such as balls, exhibitions or theatrical events were held in the Kew Recreation Hall in Walpole Street. A new City Hall was to be opened by Sir Robert Menzies in 1960. It was located beside the Alexandra Gardens in Cotham Road. It is now used as the Kew Library.
Cr Hugh George Ferguson (at right) was born in June 1900 in Williamstown. After his family moved to Kew, they lived in Fernhurst Grove while his future wife’s family lived in Fellows Street. He married in 1940 and subsequently joined the Australian Imperial Forces. After the war he worked as a Billeting Affairs Organiser for the Dutch Government, resettling migrants in Australia. He also worked in advertising as an account manager, and was campaign director for Arthur Rylah is Victorian politics. He organised the first major trade fairs at the Royal Exhibition Buildings after the Second World War, including a World Trade Fair. He built a home in Brougham Street and represented North Ward on Kew Council from 1952 to 1968. He was elected Mayor for the 1959-60 term. He died in 1975, aged 75, and is buried in Boroondara Cemetery.
Inscriptions & Markings
Herald Sun Feature Service; Hugh G. Ferguson & Associates; New Kew City Hall.