Historical information

The Bridge Hotel was built by Henry Hopwood to house visitors to the town crossing the Murray River on his punt , which was situated just below the Bridge Hotel on the Murray River. The accommodation was spacious and grand! In the right back corner of the photograph, the 'lantern' roof of the St George's Hall can be seen. The street is level with the front entrance to the Hotel, which is very different to what it is today.


The photograph shows hotel activities and accommodation in the late 19th Century. The Bridge Hotel was a very busy place as can be seen with women on the balcony, a stage coach full of people, laden carts and buggies.

Physical description

A black and white photograph of the Bridge Hotel Echuca, taken looking south towards front of building. There are 3 women on the balcony and another person, and people under the verandah. In the foreground are several horse drawn carriages. The road in front of the hotel is unmade and very wide. The latern roof of St.George's Hall can be seen over the right (western) wing of The Bridge. Copy of an original photograph c.1872

Inscriptions & markings

Written on the building can be seen the words BRIDGE HOTEL. Top right hand corner is typed: Circa 1872. On reverse in pencil: Bridge Hotel, 1860's? St. George's Hall in background.