‘Worlingworth’, Yarra River, Eltham
Original homestead on the property ‘Worlingworth’, a large residence and surrounding farm site standing on a knoll above the River Yarra in Banoon Road, Eltham.
The present house was built about 1922 and was originally owned by Mr A.R. Read, a stock and station agent and member of the Stock Exchange (who left the district in early 1926 to take up permanent residence at his Warburton property). It became the home of notable anthropologist Prof. Dr. Donald Thomson (1901-1971) and Mrs. Gladys Thomson who were married in 1925 and had twin sons in 1934 and is considered historically and aesthetically significant to the Shire of Nillumbik.
This photo forms part of a collection of photographs gathered by the Shire of Eltham for their centenary project book, "Pioneers and Painters: 100 years of the Shire of Eltham" by Alan Marshall (1971). The collection of over 500 images is held in partnership between Eltham District Historical Society and Yarra Plenty Regional Library (Eltham Library) and is now formally known as 'The Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection.'
It is significant in being the first community sourced collection representing the places and people of the Shire's first one hundred years.
4 x 5 inch B&W Neg