Power, action and belief: A new sociology of knowledge?
From the Collection of Unions Ballarat 24 Camp Street Ballarat Victoria
- Paperback; white background; blue and black text; price sticker; 280 pages.
- 22 cm
- btlc, ballarat trades and labour council, ballarat trades hall, power, knowledge, art, socialism, sociology, politics, science, ideology
- Sociological text that explores social structure. Marxist and Durkeimian influences.
Editor's introduction: Power/knowledge and the dissolution of the sociology of knowledge / John Law --
Art exhibitions and power during the nineteenth century / Gordon J. Fyfe --
The Politics of schism: routinisation and social control in the International Socialists/Socialist workers' party / Steve Rayner --
The Social preconditions of radical scepticism / Mary Douglas --
The values of quantification / Jean Lave --
'Interests' in political analysis / Barry Hindess --
Interactive-orientation and argumentation in scientific texts / Steven Yearley --
The Question of ideology: Althusser, Pecheux and Foucault / Mark Cousins and Athar Hussain --
On authority and its relationship to power / Barry Barnes --
Some elements of a sociology of translation: domestication of the scallops and the fishermen of St Brieuc Bay / Michel Callon --
On the methods of long-distance control: vessels, navigation and the Portuguese route to India / John Law --
The Powers of association / Bruno Latour.
- Law, John (Maker), Fyfe, Gordon J. (Maker), Rayner, Steve (Maker), Douglas, Mary (Maker), Lave, Jean (Maker), Hindess, Barry (Maker), Yearley, Steven (Maker), Cousins, Mark (Maker), Hussain, Athar (Maker), Barnes, Barry (Maker), Callon, Michel (Maker), Latour, Bruno (Maker)
- Socially and politically significant. Broad relevance to how societies work.
- Back cover: contributors' and editor's bios.
Front cover: editor's name and title.
- 19 Dec 2018 at 3:52PM