As the Yarra became unsuitable as a source of water, several attempts were made to find alternative sources for the growing population of Melbourne. It was not until 1891 that the efforts to sewer Melbourne came to fruition with the setting up of the Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW), now known as Melbourne Water. From 1891 until 1992, it was the responsibility of the MMBW to safeguard public health by providing a sewerage system and a safe water supply system. In 1992, The MMBW merged with a number of smaller urban water authorities to form Melbourne Water.
In 1946, the Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) approved a site for a new dam for Melbourne's domestic water. This is now known as the Upper Yarra Dam. Due to the construction of the dam, the workforce had to be accommodated on site; domestic quarters were built for single men, families and staff. The township also had kitchens, laundry facilities, a canteen, a recreation hall, mess areas and a co-op store, with one of the first houses being seconded to accommodate for a school.
This photograph shows personnel at a Kindergarten party at the Upper Yarra Dam, a time where workers were housed during its construction. The photograph is historically significant as it captures a purpose built community that supported the workers undertaking the construction of the dam.