The Upper Yarra Reservoir supplies the Silvan Reservoir, which distributes water throughout the Melbourne metropolitan area. The dam was completed in 1957 and is a rolled earthfill and rockfill embankment. This photograph shows a 68" diameter steel pipeline that was to convey the water from the Upper Yarra Reservoir to the Silvan Reservoir.
This photograph is significant as it provides a detailed insight into the Boards activity and construction of one of Melbourne's most important water supply systems. Furthermore, it is of historical importance to the history of Melbourne while it is representative of shaping Melbourne's environments, transforming and managing land and natural resources, and providing urban infrastructure and services. The photograph itself is aesthetically pleasing, through its depth of field and use of shape with an interesting composition.
Black and white photograph