Historical information

This photo was taken at the opening of the footbridge by Sir Winston Dugan in 1936.South Surrey Park was developed on land which had been the property of the Kleinert family. Their land extended from Union Road to Essex Road. They ran horses, ducks and fowls and Emily Kleinert grew flowers.
Alan Holt research: Lot 6 was sold to Martin Klienert by Karl Richter in 1860 together with a portion of another adjacent lot. From 1860-1885 Martin worked it as a market garden leasing some land for grazing when it was not required for gardening. He died in 1898. In a formal document, William declared he was the son of Martin "who purchased land in 1860, died in 1898 and the land has been continually occupied by father and family since. It has been cultivated as a market garden; when not being used for gardening it was let for cultivation and grazing." William died in 1939 and the property passed to his sons Martin and Ernest.
The family sold the land to the Camberwell Council in the 1950s.


This photo is significant as it shows the transition from rural to urban land use in Surrey Hills.

Physical description

Black and white photo taken in the area later known as South Surrey Park. Back Creek is in the foreground. There is a tent on the LHS and approximately 7 houses which front Verdun Street. Some of their backyards face onto the open space along the creek bed.