Photographic Portrait - Mr Henry Henty
From the Collection of Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew 12 Selbourne Road Kew Victoria
- Half-length, sepia-toned studio portrait of Mr Henry Henty (b.1833-d.1912). Mr Henty wears a dark suit and tie. His body is one quarter turned to his left, while he looks straight towards the camera. Photograph is mounted on cream card.
- Photo H15cm x W9.8cm; Mount H19.3cm x W14cm
- henty, tarring, kew, ruyton girls' school
- Henry Henty (b.1833-d.1912) was a successful businessman, and briefly a MLA for the seat of Grenville, Victoria in 1866. He was one of three sons of James Henty, and nephew of Edward Henty who is considered to be the first permanent European colonist to take up residence in Victoria.
Henry Henty and his wife Marion Ann Henty (nee McKellar) had ‘Tarring’, Kew built for their family in 1872. The Henty family resided at ‘Tarring’ until the death of Marion Henty in 1919. ‘Tarring’ was then sold to Ruyton Girls’ School, and the School moved to the site, (now 12 Selbourne Rd, Kew) in 1920. ‘Tarring’ was renamed ‘Henty House’ in honour of its original owners.
- 31 Aug 2020 at 2:56PM