Quinn Letter - Letter
From the Collection of Mission to Seafarers Victoria 717 Flinders Street Docklands Victoria
- Three-page letter written to Allan (0817.a1-3) from his father, Stanley Quinn, on three sheets of lined cream-coloured paper, headed Liddesdale Avenue, Frankston and dated 25.07.49. The envelope (0817.b) is buff-coloured. Also found in this envelope is a single-sided, two-page letter written on thin off-white lined paper (0817.c1-2) to Allan from his friend Norm headed 1 Selwyn Street, Artarmon, dated 27.07.49. Enclosed with 0817.c are two small black and white photographs (0817.d1-2). 0817.d1 shows a small boy with a model airplane and 0817.d2 the model airplane from a different angle.
- Letter: H: 22 cm x W: 14 cm, Envelope: H: 9 cm x W: 14.5 cm, Photographs H: 5.5 cm x W: 7 cm.
- letters-from-abroad, quinn, 1949, stanley quinn, coal strike, australia
- Letter 0817a; the writer refers to Allan's 21st birthday and his recent letter from Rio. He also writes of prices rising in Australia, the coal strike, and that 'Sydney especially is badly hit'. He also recommends Allan see a film called 'The Secret Land', a record of an American Naval Expedition to the South Pole, if he gets the opportunity. Letter is signed 'Your loving Dad, Stanley Quinn'.
Writer of 0817d also refers to Allan's 21st birthday and the coal strike which has affected manufacturing and the availability of materials, especially bricks as all the brickworks are closed down. The letter is signed 'Your Pal Norm'.
- Stanley Quinn, Norm
- Quinn Collection
- Letter 0817a is written on the reverse side of three pages of the Melbourne Stevedoring Company's Cargo Tally sheets.
The envelope is pre-stamped with an embossed profile of King George V and a crown in white on a red, oval background. Postage is two and a half pence. Envelope is addressed to Allan C/- Swedish Seaman's Union, 156 Montague Street, Brooklyn, New York, USA. The postmark is torn. There is a blue air-mail sticker on the upper left-hand corner.
0817d; On the left wing of the model airplane is printed MAA, on the right wing - 17. There are pencilled marks on the back of each photograph.
- 14 Nov 2018 at 2:33PM