This wine glass would have been used at Hume City Council functions.
One large wine glass with Hume City Council decal on glass.
Inscriptions & markings
"Hume City Council"
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the place now called Victoria, and all First Peoples living and working on this land. We celebrate the history and contemporary creativity of the world’s oldest living culture and pay respect to Elders — past, present and future.
Please be aware that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Some material may contain terms that reflect authors’ views, or those of the period in which the item was written or recorded but may not be considered appropriate today. These views are not necessarily the views of Victorian Collections.
Users of this site should be aware that in many areas of Australia, reproduction of the names and photographs of deceased people is restricted during a period of mourning. The length of this time varies and is determined by the community.
Reuse of any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander material on this site may require cultural clearances. Users are advised to contact the source organisation to discuss appropriate reuse.
Can you reuse this media without permission? No (with exceptions, see below)
All rights reserved
This media item is licensed under "All rights reserved". You cannot share (i.e. copy, distribute, transmit) or rework (i.e. alter, transform, build upon) this item, or use it for commercial purposes without the permission of the copyright owner. However, an exception can be made if your intended use meets the "fair dealing" criteria. Uses that meet this criteria include research or study; criticism or review; parody or satire; reporting news; enabling a person with a disability to access material; or professional advice by a lawyer, patent attorney, or trademark attorney.
Please acknowledge the item’s source, creator and title (where known)
Have a question? Contact Hume City Civic Collection
This wine glass would have been used at Hume City Council functions.
One large wine glass with Hume City Council decal on glass.
"Hume City Council"
The photograph was taken on a rise overlooking the early settlement of Sunbury with Mount Holden and other hills across the skyline. The five arch railway bridge is visible in the distance on the RHS of the image. Two of Sunbury's early hotels, the John Franklin and the Ball Court are across the middle distance. Craig Vineyard with the vines growing is in the foreground.
A black and white photograph with a white border.
sunbury, vineyards, jackson creek, craiglee vineyard
Small wooden paste brushes were sold with a bottle of paste and were used in homes, offices and school.
A small wooden paste brush.
brushes, paste, craftwork
Cuisenaire rods are mathematical aids introduced into Victorian schools in the mid 1960s. They aimed to give students different ways to explore mathematics and learn the basic concepts of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division as well as fractions and decimals.
A small grey cuisenaire box with a lid and instruction sheet of rods. The details of the contents are written in yellow on the lid.
mathematics, schools, cuisenaire rods, teaching apparatus
Children used bags like this one to carry their books and writing materials to and from School. As they advanced through the school their bags increased in size and weight.
A small leather school bag with the provision for two buckles in the front. The original strap has been removed and replaced with one strap which has been fixed to the flap across the top of the bag.
school equipment, schools, school bags
The plain pen with the removable steel nib was used by primary school children from the inception of compulsory school education in 1872 to the 1960s. In the upper levels of the school, pupils were allowed to use fountain pens before biros came into common use.
A plain unpainted wooden handled writing pen with a removable steel nib
writing equipment, pens, schools
Children used HB lead pencils in class after graduating from either writing on blackboards or slates and before they reached the middle primary school classes where they used pen and ink.
A wooden lead pencil with a rounded top painted in red and black along its length with gold lettering
Australia Staedtler Tradition 110 HB
writing materials, pencils, schools
he building which has been damaged by fire is the former Diggers Rest Hotel which was the only surviving hotel along the Calder Highway between the towns of Keilor and Gisborne a distance of approx. 32kms
A coloured photograph of a grey rendered building, along a roadside, which has been damaged by fire wqith a temporary fence surrounding the building.
The fire damaged building is the former Diggers Rest Hotel which was ruined by fire in the 1990s. It was the last standing and operating hotel along the Calder Highway between the towns of Keilor and Gisborne.
A coloured photograph of a fire gutted building along a roadside with gum trees in the background.
The building is the former Bulla Post Office and general store which was damaged by fire in 1989 and never rebuilt. A private house now occupies the site. The post office was relocated to a service station about 1km away.
For many years the former Bulla Post Office and store was the focal point in the small township.
A coloured photograph of a bluestone building by a roadside which has been gutted by fire. There is no roof but the chimney is intact.
The ruined bluestone building was the former Bulla Post Office and general store which was gutted by fire in1989. The building was demolished after the fire and the post office was relocated to a service station about 1km away.
Until it was burnt down, the post office and general store was an important hub in the small town for local residents.
A coloured photograph of a ruined and roofless bluestone building on a roadside.
The flagon of port was released for the commemorative cricket match Australia versus England to celebrate the "origin of the Ashes" at Rupertswood in Sunbury on the 18 January 1995. A cricket match took place at Rupertswood in 1882, a ball was burnt and the ashes placed in an urn (according to local legend). The flagon is number 56 of a limited edition of 2000.
A cream and green glazed flagon with sloping sides. The lower half of the flagon is cream with a red, green and yellow insignia to commemorate the "origin of the ashes" cricket match and a brief history of the game. The upper half and neck is green. There is a red unbroken seal over the cork and the port is still in the flagon.
(insignia) ORIGIN OF THE ASHES / SUNBURY AUSTRALIA /
origin of the ashes committee, rupertswood, border, allan, gower, david, cricket, wines, bottles, george evans collection
This cut throat razor was found in the original Battery shed at Rupertswood.
Black handle cut throat razor.
rupertswood battery collection, rupertswood, personal items, menhennitt, tony, george evans collection
This handle is believed to be from the first safe used by the Shire of Bulla. It was given to Mr. Kevin Smith by the Shire Secretary Mr. Tom McCormack.
A heavy round base handle with a hand coming from the centre holding a rod that forms the handle.
:Cozens & Harveys..."
shire of bulla, smith, john, kevin, george evans collection
This piece of petrified wood was found at the sand quarry between Sunbury and Bulla.
A petrified piece of wood showing various shades of brown.
smith, kevin, john, wood, george evans collection
The 'Economic Update' is a Quarterly bulletin which is issued by Hume City Council and outlines the latest projects which the council has undertaken. It covers details of projects being carried out by the Council across the entire local government area at the time of publication.
A 16 page pamphlet with a large photograph of a lady and man wearing yellow jackets and white helmets standing on a building site. The Hume Council logo is in the top RH corner along with the title of the publication. Both have been printed on a blue background.
hume city council, economics, local government, george evans collection
The 1993 - 1994 Annual Report was published by the Shire of Bulla and distributed to the residents of the shire.
A 24 paged publication with a yellow cardboard cover which has an aerial photograph which features the former Sunbury Asylum buildings and surroundings before the area was developed for housing. The former Shire of Bulla logo which featured 'City Living - Country Style' is in the bottom RH corner of the photograph. Details of the administration officxes of the Shire of Bulla are printed on the back cover.
shire of bulla, annual reports, councillors, george evans collection
The Directory was published by the former Shire of Bulla in 1994 - 1995 and was issued to residentsa living withing the Shire. It features details of public services which were available within the area at the time as well as maps of the settlements and some private advewrtisements.
A 20 page booklet with an aerial photograph of the Greenvale Dam and surrounding area on the front cover. A green strip is along the spine of the booklet with the words 'Shire of Bulla' printed in white and 'Directory' printed in red. '1994 - 1995' is printed in red across the bottom of the front cover and the Shire of Bulla - 'City Living . Country Style' logo is in the bottom RH corner. The back cover features an advertisement for the Roxburgh housing development.
shire of bulla, directory, sunbury, bulla, attwood hill, craigieburn, george evans collection
These objects are rusty metal horseshoes with nails attached, they were found on property that was owned by Les Aldridge of the Kismet Park Stud, Sunbury. Les Aldridge trained many good race horses over the years including Manfred and Manrico.
Six rusty metal horseshoes with nails still attached.
horses, horse racing, kismet park, aldridge, les., mckerrow, john, george evans collection
The bra was worn with a corset and under fitted clothes which were fashionable in the 1960s.
A full length cream bra with an embroidered cotton front and elastic fabric back and cotton shoulder straps. There is a blue embroidered flower at the cleavage. Four metal hooks on elastic loops are around the waistline. The back is fastened with two sets of hooks and eyes.
female underwear, bras, hickory wear, george evans collection
This badge was worn by Bill Houston when he became Sunbury District Cub Leader whilst with the 1st Sunbury Cubs in the 1970's. The Cubs met in the Old Fire Station (now demolished) in Evans Street, Sunbury.
A small black plastic badge with Bill Houston's name on it.
"SUNBURY/DISTRICT CUB LEADER/Bill Houston"
1970s, houston, william, joan, 1st sunbury cubs, george evans collection
This biscuit barrel of silverplate and wood was won by a member of the Victorian Horse Artillery, Driver J. Mc Keon, along with Sergeant Harry Looney, Driver J. Ryan and Driver J. Wallace at Islington in 1893.
A wood and silver-plated biscuit barrel with plated lid
Royal Irish Military Tournament /1893/Riding & jumping in sections/2nd prize (on Lid) on barrel. M. A. Williams. Royal Hotel Sunbury August 11th 1905
royal irish military tournament., victorian horse artiller, rupertswood battery collection, george evans collection
This trophy was presented to a new cadet for the 'pursuit of excellence' of Rupertswood Battery of Horse Artillery and donated by Martin Glass and Gary Bieser. Tony Menhennitt had been involved with the Battery for 34 years and was Commanding Officer when the Battery disbaned on 17 July 2011.
Small soldier in uniform mounted on a wooden base with 27 engraved plates.
"Presented to the Rupertswood..."
1980s, 1990s, 2000s, rupertswood battery collection, salesian college, menhennitt, tony, george evans collection
This is a small badge with a crown on top of a blue enamel oval and a blue enamel ribbon with the words "Issued by Dept. of Defence to Women of Australia for Duty Done" AIF is in the centre. It was issued to Rita Richards number 37351.
A small blue badge with crown on top issued by the Department of Defence.
"...To Women of Australia/For duty done..."
armed forces, 1940s, world war 2, military medals, george evans collection
This blue ribbon and rosette was presented to Flora Lloyd at the 1956 Sunbury RSL Ball for the title of Princess of the Ball.
A royal blue ribbon and rosette.
"Sunbury RSL Ball 1956/Princess of the Ball"
1950s, sunbury, sunbury r.s.l, lloyd, flora, deverall, dances, george evans collection
This sash was presented to Miss Flora Lloyd along with a trophy as the winner of the Belle of the Ball at the annual Diggers' Ball held on the 3rd July 1953 in the Sunbury Memorial Hall. She was partnered by Mr. Chris Hall.
A pale blue sash with a gold tassel and R.S.L. insignia at one end.
"Sunbury R.S.L./BELLE of the BALL/Coronation Year Ball 1953"
1950s, sunbury, sunbury memorial hall, sunbury r.s.l, lloyd, flora, deverall, dances, sunbury news, george evans collection
These chamber pots were used in houses prior to sewerage connections which then allowed toilets to be built closer to houses and eventually inside houses. The chamber pots were usually placed under the beds or sometimes in a special chair which was called a comode chair.
A cream colour ceramic chamber pot with handle.
underneath - "SWINNERTONS..."
houses, chamber pots, domestic items, george evans collection
This half broken brick comes from the brickworks owned by Robinson Allison. The brickworks operated approximately between the years 1859 - 1883 on crown land near Watson's Road, Sunbury. This brick may have come from a ruin near the Organ Pipes.
Approximately half a brick brown/red colour smooth at one end uneven sides.
on top - "ALLISONS'
1860s, 1880s, sunbury, brick, shire of bulla, dunn, trevor, margaret, allison, robinson, george evans collection
This President's chair was used by the Shire of Bulla Presidents/Mayors to sit in at Council meetings pre 1963 in the Sunbury Memorial Hall and possibly at the old Shire of Bulla Council offices in Bulla.
Large brown upholstered wood frame President's chair. Small front turned legs. Small padded arm rests. High back padded with seven (7) buttons.
A design carved into sides of front arm rests.
sunbury, shire of bulla, shire presidents, memorial hall, george evans collection
This knitting booklet was used by Margaret Betty Williamson and her mother to knit items to be distributed to the Australia personnal of the Army, Navy and Airforce during World War 2. Parents owned the Clarkefield Store and Post Office.
A small slightly tattered cream booklet with black printing and a red star shape on front cover.
front cover "Guide to Knitting/Standard Socks..."
1940s, world war 2, knitting, george evans collection
This crystal goblet was presented to Mrs. T. O'Brien (Margaret O'Brien nee Leyden) on 26 January 1915 when the Starkie Memorial was unvieled by the then Shire President Cr. O'Brien. The memorial was erected in recognition of Cr. Joseph David Starkie's efforts in bringing the water supply to Sunbury.
Engraved crystal goblet with diamond cut decoration on bowl of goblet. Stem and base plain. A black round wood base with three white clips for holding goblet. A clear glass dome shaped cover that is used to enclose the goblet on wood base.
around rim - "PRESENTED TO MRS. T.O'BRIEN..."
o'brien, margaret, 1910s, sunbury, starkie memorial fountain, starkie, joseph david, george evans collection
Victorian Collections acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the traditional custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.