Historical information

Lady Nelson Perpetual Trophy (Cup) Donor: W. Finlay Deed of Gift: Yes The Lady Nelson commemorates the discovery of Port Phillip by Lieutenant Murray of the Royal Navy who in HM Brigg Lady Nelson sailed through the heads and therefore the first vessel to enter Port Phillip. The trophy was donated by Past Commodore A. W. Finlay (1946/47) owner of the yacht Scorn, to encourage yachts on the RBYC register to compete in long-distance overnight racing around Port Phillip. In recent years the trophy is awarded to the winner on the IRC handicap. First Winner: Currawong, G. A. Warner 1946/47