Quinn Letter - Letter
From the Collection of Mission to Seafarers Victoria 717 Flinders Street Docklands Victoria
- Four page letter written on both sides of two sheets of unlined buff-coloured paper (0843.a1-2). Each page is stamped with the letterhead of the Hotel Campbell, Poughkeepsie, New York. The hotel coat-of-arms is displayed top centre of the page and in the left upper corner is a picture of the hotel. Written underneath is Louis W. Parsons, Owner and Manager. The letter is from William F Preston, Pensjon Lindstow, Sven Bruno Gate 9th Oslo and dated 8 July 1950.
The non-matching envelope (0843.b) bears a red Norwegian stamp and is postmarked Oslo. It has been post-marked twice.
- Letter H 26 cm x W 18.5 cm
- allan quinn collection, letters-from-abroad, william f. preston, oslo, louis w. parsons, new york
- The writer says it is very difficult to get accommodation in postwar Oslo, especially during the tourist season. He is paying four kronor a night for a shared room in the Pension whereas he was paying $4 a week for a room in New York. There is no shortage of work although there is food rationing and fruit and meat is scarce and expensive. People live on fish and potatoes.
- William F Preston (Maker)
- Quinn Collection
- Letter is addressed to Allan and signed 'Bill'.
- 23 Apr 2019 at 3:28PM