Quinn Letter - Letter
From the Collection of Mission to Seafarers Victoria 717 Flinders Street Docklands Victoria
- A three-page letter written in green ink on three pages of buff coloured unlined paper (0851.a1-3) headed M.S.Mongabarra, Norrkoping, Sweden and dated 1/12/50. The pale blue envelope (0851.b) is addressed to Mrs K Hayes, 14 Fitzroy Street, St Kilda, Victoria. There are 9 red stamps, valued at 20 Norwegian Krona each, and one green stamp, valued at 10 N.Krona, across the top of the envelope. There are three postmarks.
- Letter H 29.5 cm x W 21 cm; Envelope H 11 cm x 15.5 cm
- letters-from-abroad, allan quinn, m s mongabarra, antwerp, gothenburg, norrkoping, sweden
- Allan writes of being in Gothenburg the day after the Swedish King died (November 1950).
- Quinn Collection
- In this letter to his mother Allan describes how beautiful it was sailing into Norrkoping with everything covered with just a little snow but after a snow-storm the next day the ropes were frozen and the tarpaulins were like sheets of iron. The ship is half full of timber for Australia and will arrive in Adelaide in late January 1951 but he won't be on it as he is handing in his book and will sign off in Gothenburg on the 11th December. He plans to spend Christmas in Oslo before travelling to London. He anticipates being back in Australia for good in the middle of 1951.
- 5 Jan 2020 at 1:46PM