Badge - School badge
From the Collection of Brighton Historical Society First Floor Bayside Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Brighton Town Hall) Corner Carpenter and Wilson Streets Brighton Victoria
- Metal Shirley College school badge in the shape of a hollow crest containing the interlocking letters "S" and "C". The back has a hook rather than a proper clasp; possibly it was originally attached to a school hat.
- shirley college, schools, school uniform, 1900s, gladys elvira linton, gladys elvira richardson
- This Shirley College school badge belonged to Gladys Elvira Linton, nee Richardson (b. 1891).
Shirley College was a private girls' school situated in a large single-storey house in Seymour Grove, Brighton from around 1898 until 1912. The school was first run by the Misses Bird and later by Miss Elizabeth Stewart.
Gladys married First World War veteran and Brighton local Richard Vivers Linton in 1919. She looked back fondly on her days at Shirley College and helped to organise school reunions well into the 1930s, long after the school itself was gone.
- circa 1900s
- Motto engraved around border: "NISI DOMINUS FRUSTRA" (Latin, "without God, [it is] in vain").
- 10 Sep 2019 at 6:37PM