Document - History & purposes of residences
From the Collection of Melbourne Legacy 293 Swanston Street Melbourne Victoria
- White foolscap paper x 3 pages, with black type.
- residences, conference
- A paper which was delivered to the Legacy in Victoria Conference in 1980, detailing Melbourne Legacy's involvement in housing the children of Legacy widows since 1942. By 1950 Melbourne Legacy administered four houses - Holmbush, Stanhope, Blamey House and Harelands - and cared for approximately 100 children. The houses were designed to be as homely as possible, and each one was largely autonomous. Children, many of whom came from country Victoria, would go to their own homes during school holidays and the Christmas season. The stated objectives were to 'pass out into the world young men and women with high ideals of citizenship, who are self-reliant and self-supporting.' Also 'to provide affection, security and a future goal and essential discipline.'
The country Clubs and Groups would send provisions such as preserved fruit, cheese, eggs, honey, citrus fruit, butter, and potatoes throughout the year to support the residences.
Numbers of residents declined during the 70s, and in 1975 a Residences Committee recommended that Blamey House and Harelands should be closed, leaving only Stanhope in operation, the first Blamey House having closed in 1955 with Holmbush being renamed the second Blamey House. By 1980 the only remaining house was Stanhope with an average occupancy of 20. See Cat. No. 00785 for a first hand account of being a resident at Stanhope.
- Melbourne Legacy established residences to aid children of deceased servicemen complete their education, take further education and find employment. The document reveals details of the residences through the years. It shows the effort the Legatees invested in looking after Junior Legatees and how seriously they took this responsibility.
- Some pencilled ticks and bracketing, W.T. Lewis handwritten in blue biro on last page.
- 24 Apr 2020 at 1:13PM