Historical information

This 1954 Roll of Honour board was an action of the WW2 Eltham War memorial Trust, for hanging in their Child Welfare Centre building on their property in Main Road, Eltham.

The Johnstons Furniture Production Company made up the board and had the names of the local Eltham enlistees applied in gold lettering at a total cost of £13.10.00.

The names were copied by the Eltham RSL from the obelisk which was first erected by the WW1 Eltham Peace Celebrations in August 1919 at the northwest corner of Bridge Street and Main Road. During road widening plans by the Council, the obelisk was moved to the garden area of the refurbished RSL branch building in Main Road for safekeeping.

The Honour Roll Board was sent to the Eltham RSL sub-branch around 1999. Following the merger of the Eltham and Montmorency sub-branches and sale of the Eltham property, the obelisk was relocated to a location in front of the Eltham War Memorial.

The Honour Roll Board was retrieved by former Eltham District Historical Society President, Harry Gilham in September 2004 who arranged for it to be hung in the Eltham War Memorial Hall (former Children's Library). It is attached to the brick wall face of the west (rear) wall of the Hall.

Physical description

Colour photo print and 18 photocopied and hand written mixed media pages