Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Digitised Oral History – Truganina Explosives Reserve - Tape 1 Doug and Noel Grant

From the Collection of Truganina Explosives Reserve Preservation Society Inc (TERPS) 276 Queen Street Altona Victoria

Description
Digital copy of original cassette recorded in 2000 and digitised in 2018
Object Registration
55.001
Keywords
hobsons bay, altona, galvanised iron fence, picket fence, golf course, altona school, margaret grant, bill grant, explosives magazine, lighters, joe hyde, alex grant, pines scout camp, maribynong river, 1896, inspector of explosives, pier, point wilson, werribee sewerage farm, george grant, lighterman, huia, argonaut, pirie, alma doepel, merton street altona, horse, jessie grant, jean grant, sandal, kilmartin, lewis, currie, todd, robinson, balwyn
Historical information
The interviews were recorded in 2000 by Bronwen Gray and Alan Young for the production of Unreserved, Stories from Truganina Explosives Reserve, animated stories from past residents, workers and interested people of the Reserve (subject to copyright 2004).

Doug and Noel Grant’s Grandfather, Don Grant, was officer in charge of Truganina Explosives Reserve from 1910-1930. On his retirement, his son, William (known as Bill) took over the position until 1956. Along with their two older brothers and younger sister, Doug and Noel Grant grew up, first in the assistant manager’s weatherboard cottage and then in the brick house which was set aside for the officer in charge, until they married and moved into their own homes in their early 1920s.

On returning from the second world war, Noel Grant worked as a magazine assistant of explosives on the site from 1946, When the site had closed down in 1962 he worked as an inspector of explosives at the Explosives Branch in Melbourne until he retired in 1985. During that time Noel was asked to move back on site, meaning that three generations of Grants have lived on the site during the twentieth century.

Doug Grant worked for ICI/Nobel in head office in 1940 and their older brother Alan worked at the Nobel Explosive Company in Deer Park from 1937. After returning from the Second World War, Alan bought a transport business that had once had the licence to cart explosives in and around the state.

They discuss their memories of the living at Truganina Explosives Reserve and the workings of the Reserve, including the names of men who worked there, ships which carried the explosives and life in and around Altona.
When Made
2018
Significance
A primary source of information on memories of the Truganina Explosives Reserve and Altona,Victoria
Last updated
27 Apr 2020 at 10:49AM