Digitised Oral History – Truganina Explosives Reserve - Tape 2 Joyce Hyde
From the Collection of Truganina Explosives Reserve Preservation Society Inc (TERPS) 276 Queen Street Altona Victoria
- Digital copy of original cassette recorded in 2000 and digitised in 2018
- altona, upton street altona, harrington court, coal mine, horse trough, mr piper, diggers hall, owen hyde, clive hyde, joe hyde, salt works, horse drawn explosives trucks
- The interviews were recorded in 2000 by Bronwen Gray and Alan Young for the production of Unreserved, Stories from Truganina Explosives Reserve, animated stories from past residents, workers and interested people of the Reserve (subject to copyright 2004).
Joyce Hyde was married to Joe (Lesley) Hyde, the last Officer in Charge of the Truganina Explosives Reserve. They moved into the weather board house on 11 December 1952 when Joe was the assistant manager of the Reserve. They moved into the brick house when Joe was appointed Officer in Charge in 1956.
Even though the site closed in 1962 and Joe was transferred to the head office in Spencer Street as Explosives Inspector, the Hyde family continued to live in the brick house.
Joyce discusses her life at the Explosives Reserve and the early development of Altona.
- A primary source of information on memories of the Truganina Explosives Reserve and Altona,Victoria
- 27 Apr 2020 at 10:50AM