Architectural drawing - 2 Austral Street, Surrey Hills by Margaret Picken, 1991
From the Collection of Surrey Hills Neighbourhood Centre Heritage Collection 1 Bedford Avenue Surrey Hills Victoria
- Pen and ink architectural drawing on drafting film of 2 Austral Street, Surrey Hills (VIC) by Margaret Picken. The drawing, dated 1991, was commissioned by the Woodards real estate company.
- architectural drawing, houses, surrey hills / mont albert (vic.), artists, margaret picken 1950-, 1950, austral street
- Margaret Picken (1950-) trained and worked as a cartographic draftsman from 1968-1975 within the mining industry. This architectural drawing is one of a series created by Margaret Picken for a range of real estate agents in Melbourne between 1983 and 2005. Each work is signed and dated.
Margaret Picken approached a number of historical societies in July 2020 with a view to donating her work. Sketches for post code 3127 arefheld by this collection. Others for suburbs including Ashburton, Balwyn, Camberwell, Canterbury, Blackburn, Box Hill, Burwood, Glen Iris, Hawthorn, Kew, Mont Albert North and Nunawading have been donated to the relevant historical group in those suburbs. (See Balwyn Historical Society, Box Hill Historical Society, Camberwell Historical Society, Hawthorn Historical Society, Kew Historical Society, Whitehorse Historical Society). In some cases, this collection also has a copy of the matching newspaper advertisement.
- These drawings have merit in themselves, but are also important as adjuncts to identifying architectural styles and eras. As each drawing is notated with the year of creation, it is a valuable record for current residents and family historians, especially where there have been alterations to the original design and even more so if the property has been demolished.
- 2 AUSTRAL ST., SURREY HILLS / MARGARET PICKEN - 91 / WOODARDS ~ C'WELL
- last Sunday at 2:57PM