This straight edge razor, The F & M Wake, was made by Ford & Medley in Sheffield, England. This style or razor was a popular choice for men's shaving in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Ford & Medley were cutlers by trade and registered their first silver mark in 1900. The firm were also did electroplating. The firm was contracted to the government during World War I. The company was using the trademarks EMU and WIZARD as well as the logo of 'knotted ropes' with the letters "F M"by the end of that war at their factory called Emu Works. The firm's most popular razor was The Arrow. In 1928 the firm closed down.
The Ford & Medley razor is now part of Flagstaff Hill’s comprehensive W.R. Angus Collection, donated by the family of Dr W R Angus (1901-1970), surgeon and oculist.
The W.R. Angus Collection: -
The W.R. Angus Collection includes historical medical equipment, surgical instruments and material belonging to Dr Edward Ryan and Dr Thomas Francis Ryan, (both of Nhill, Victoria) and Dr Angus’ own belongings. The Collection’s history spans the medical practices of the two Doctors Ryan, from 1885-1926 plus that of Dr Angus, up until 1969. It includes historical medical and surgical equipment and instruments from the doctors Edward and Thomas Ryan of Nhill, Victoria.
Dr Angus married Gladys in 1927 at Ballarat, the nearest big city to Nhill where he began as a Medical Assistant. He was also Acting House surgeon at the Nhill hospital where their two daughters were born.
During World War II Dr Angus served as a Military Doctor. He was a Surgeon Captain for the Australian Defence Forces, Army Medical Corps, stationed in Ballarat, Victoria, and in Bonegilla, N.S.W. He completed his service just before the end of the war due to suffering from a heart attack.
Dr Angus and his family moved to Warrnambool in 1939, where Dr Angus operated his own medical practice. He later added the part-time Port Medical Officer responsibility and was the last person appointed to that position. Both Dr Angus and his wife were very involved in the local community, including the planning stages of the new Flagstaff Hill and the layout of the gardens there. Dr Angus passed away in March 1970.
This razor is an example of men's shaving equipment used in the early 20th century. It is significant for its association with the local doctor, W.R. Angus.
Dr W R Angus (1901-1970), surgeon and oculist, collected a range of military objects including those he personally used during his time as Surgeon Captain in the Australian Defence Forces in World War II.
The W.R. Angus Collection is significant for still being located at the site it is connected with, Doctor Angus being the last Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool. The Collection includes historical medical objects that date back to the late 1800s.
Razor, cut-throat straight blade razor, in black cardboard box with slide-off lid. Black composition arc shaped handle with pin to attach blade that folds inside the handle. Inscriptions are on handle, blade and case. "The Wake" razor, made by Ford & Medley, Sheffield, England.
The pouch belonged to Dr W R Angus and is now part of the W. R. Angus Collection.
Inscriptions & markings
On razor; "THE F & M WAKE" "CELEBRATED HOLLOW GROUND RAZOR" "FORD & MEDLEY / SHEFFIELD ENGLAND"
On case; "WARRANTED GORMAN" "HOLLOW GROUND"
Logo on razor [""F" "M" either side of entwined rope symbol
- flagstaff hill,
- maritime village,
- maritime museum,
- shipwreck coast,
- great ocean road,
- flagstaff hill maritime museum and village,
- dr w r angus,
- w.r. angus collection,
- personal grooming accessory,
- shaving accessory,
- the wake,
- the f & m wake,
- hollow ground razor,
- ford & medley,
- emu works
- Strazors.com Ford & Medley, Sheffield
- Hawley Sheffield Knives Is your name on a knife? Ford & Medley Ltd.