Historical information

On Saturday September 2, 2023, Russell Yeoman led a group of 22 society members and interested others on a walk following trhe bounadries of the original Shillingalw farm. Commencing at the corner of Panther Place and Library Place, we proceeded up to Shillinglaw Cafe then the Shillinglaw trees at the former Eltham Shire Office site then along Main Road to the fire station then throughh St Laurence Lane and uinder the railway line , along Diamond Street then return via the Diamond Creek trail behind Andrew Park. The actual farm boundary went past the creek and further up the hill.

The original farm comprised lot 90 of Holloway’s 1851 subdivision of Little Eltham. Its area was 30 acres lying east of the Diamond Creek and north of Henry Street.

A number of stops were made to look at maps and early photos illustrating the gradual reduction of the farm area and the early history of the railway and other community uses, that occupied parts of the site.

Physical description

71 images - born digital