When the SMI was opened in Nov 1921 the Bendigo RSL Sub - Branch had occupancy from that day on. The Building became a Museum opened to the public in 1998 by the RSL. The origins of this project goes back to 2011 with a letter to the City of Greater Bendigo of the possibility of an upgrade to the SMI from the Bendigo District RSL Sub - Branch Inc. Some renovations had already taken place and some structural work. After initial talks a sub - committee of 3 persons from the RSL was elected to work with the Council along with other bodies who would be involved. Plans eventuated by 2015 and were put to the RSL for approval. From there the fund raising began from the State/Federal Govt's, RSL, the Public and Council itself. This was achieved and finally in Sept 2016 the SMI/Museum was packed up completely and the Renovations began in 2017.
Souvenir program, card yellow colour folding, front page is in gold and black writing with an image of the Dome on the SMI followed by in gold, "Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Revitalisation Project" then in gold, "Souvenir Program", in the centre has details re time, date, place. At the bottom are the logo's of the Federal & State Governments, RSL and City of Greater Bendigo
Page 2 is titled "About the Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute" with a photo showing the "Hustlers Royal Reserve Mine No 2" which was on the site where the SMI now stands.
Page 3 has details of the program, music, Official welcome, speakers, ribbon cutting, the ODE, Last Post, National Anthem, close of formalities and light refreshments.
Page 4 has a photo of the original souvenir pamphlet used at the original opening on November 15th 1921, 97 years to the day.
at the bottom, "Thankyou section to all those involved in the project"
Inscriptions & markings
"Official opening of the Bendigo Soldiers Memorial Institute Revitalisation and Military Museum 10am Thursday November 15, 2018, Lansell gardens, Pall, Mall Bendigo"