The dolls house and furniture was made by Heinrich August Ernst KOCH, who was interned at Orange NSW on the 6 June 1940. In 1941 was taken to Tatura VIC for an appeals tribunal hearing. He was released in 1943 to the Civil Alien Corp.
The donor of the dolls house, John Smiles, is the grandson of Heinrich.
Heinrich made the dolls house and furniture which he made for his daughters in Sydney NSW. It was sent to them whilst interned. The furniture is copies of real life size items and the house has features common with the family home in Sydney.
Wooden, painted dolls house, made from packing crates. 5 main pieces with additional pieces (roof, chimney, stairs, outside roof area, furniture) which go together to form this long single story dolls house. Painted in cream with green features and red roof. Windows and doors open. Several windows have glass in them. Original piece of Lino in kitchen area. 2 rooms are wallpapered. Original pieces of furniture are included (see list attached to worksheet). These include dining table and four chairs, side board, dressing table, bed, tall boy, low boy, entrance table, entrance bench, entrance hall stand, kitchen table, 4 chairs and 2 benches.
heinrich august ernst koch, john smiles, orange internment camp, tatura internment camp, civil alien corp