Historical information

This building was part of a range of shops known as Victoria House, built by Vere Quaile, blacksmith, in 1857. It consisted of a shop, a blacksmith's forge and wheelwright, and was located to the east of the blacksmith's forge in Main Street. Between 1874 and 1892 Francis Timmons operated a clothier and drapers business in this building.

Physical description

Small sepia unframed photograph on card with gold border framing photograph. The name of the business can be clearly seen above the awning. Less clear is the name "Victoria House', also above the awning. Housed in the album, 'Photographs of Bacchus Marsh and District in 1883 by Stevenson and McNicoll'.

Inscriptions & markings

On the front: Stevenson & McNicoll. Photo. 108 Elizabeth St. Melbourne. COPIES CAN BE OBTAINED AT ANY TIME.
On the back: LIGHT & TRUTH inscribed on a banner surmounted by a representation of the rising sun.
Copies of this Portrait can be had at any time by sending the Name and Post Office Money Order or Stamps for the amount of order to STEVENSON & McNICOLL LATE BENSON & STEVENSON, Photographers. 108 Elizabeth Street, MELBOURNE.
In handwriting: 'Victoria House'. Clothier + Draper. Main St. c.1857. Next to Blacksmith Cottage. Courtesy Mrs. Jeremeas. Photo 1883.