Physical description

Kindly scanned from Ringwood Branch archival collection

Inscriptions & markings

Transcript (kindly completed by Ken Briscoe using ChatGPT)

During the second World War, a group of Ringwood ladies sent tins of fat to England. When the War ended in 1946, the Mayoress, Mrs. H.E. Parker, called a meeting and a branch of the Country Women's Association was formed. The subscription was four shillings and two shillings for associate members. Meetings were held in the lower Town Hall, the President and Secretary sat on the stage, the Treasurer at a table on the floor and the hostess at the door to welcome members. Birthdays were held in the Town Hall. There was an active drama group who performed at competitions. After the Olympic Games in Melbourne in 1956, members re-enacted some of the events. A yearly ball was held for several years. Members catered for the Scout Jamboree. They looked after victims of the bush fires - the Town Hall was covered in beds.
Mrs. Pratt, Senior, whose husband took up a selection in Ringwood, gave a block of land to the C.W.A., but the late Councillor Mr. Frank Corr, told his wife (a member) that the Council would not permit a hall to be built on this land so the block was sold to the Masonic Lodge for 250 pounds.
Cards were enjoyed monthly in the Presbyterian Church Hall in Adelaide Street. Craft group met in the Church of England Hall in Ringwood Street.