Stories Organisations Projects About Login

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection North Bandiana, Vic

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection is staffed by volunteers from the Regimental Association and contains documents, photographs and objects relating to citizen soldiers from Northeast Victoria and date from the late nineteenth century through to the present day.

Contact Information

location
Milpo Bandiana Vic 3694
phone
+61 0400 212 831

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment only

Location

Building 129 Carlisle Drive North Bandiana Vic

Anthony 'AJ' Hunter 26 November 2017 9:22 PM

A fantastic start - I hope to see more of your collection in the future

Barry Hacker 6 December 2017 6:16 AM

I have been following your work with great interest. All 8/13 VMR Association volunteers are to be congratulated. Well done.

Leave a comment

833 items

833 items

Uniform

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black overall tank suit worn by crewmen of armoured fighting vehicles; five patch pockets, one with slots for pencils; concealed over-the-shoulder braces with metal buckles.

Historical information

The black tank suits were first issued to members of 8/13 VMR in 1959 and were worn till late 1960s when they were replaced by a similar garment coloured green. The one piece purpose designed overall was a welcome replacement for the khaki drill trousers and jacket which had been worn by crewmen since 1948.

Significance

Representative of uniform worn by tank crewmen in period 1959-66.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of two soldiers wearing drill uniforms and berets. One is wearing goggles. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Alan Cunningham , Ken Kothoff "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of five members of the 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles Heritage Light Troop which provided the escort to the Reviewing Officer, Colonel G. K. Howard.

Historical information

‘A’ Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles conducted a parade at Buna Barracks, Albury on Sunday 1 May 1988 to mark the 103rd Anniversary of the formation of the Victorian Mounted Rifles and the 40th Anniversary of the linking of the 8th (Indi), 13th (Gippsland) and 20th (Victorian Mounted Rifles) Light Horse Regiments to form the 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles. Colonel G K Howard, Director of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps was the Reviewing Officer. The Pipes and Drums of the 5th/6th Battalion Royal Victorian Regiment provided the music for the occasion. Following the parade Colonel Howard officially opened the Regimental Museum.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of 27 soldiers of 8th Light Horse in winter uniform with haversack and belt. Possibly dressed to go on leave

Historical information

The 8th Light Horse (Indi) Regiment superseded the 16th Light Horse in 1919. It had its headquarters at Benalla with sub-units throughout the Upper Murray and Northeast Victoria. In December 1941, the regiment converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 8th Reconnaissance Battalion then in July 1942 it became 8th Cavalry Regiment and served in Northern Territory. As Japanese threat to the mainland declined the regiment was disbanded.

Significance

Shows soldiers in uniform 1941

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Coloured photographs of M113 Armoured Personnel Carrier of 8/13 VMR " swimming " at Lake Mulwala during water training.

Historical information

8/13 VMR trained in the amphibious capability of M113 Armoured Personnel Carrier.

Book

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Book titled D-Day 50 Years On being An Historical Perspective ( Part One ) and A Contemporary Reflection ( Part Two )

Photograph - The Famous 8th Light Horse

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Large framed photograph of a regiment of mounted horsemen on the march. Frame is of stained molded wood with glass front. Name panel at lower centre.

Historical information

The 8th Light Horse was raised at Broadmeadows Victoria in September 1914 and sailed for overseas in December 1914 so this trial must have taken place during that period. The Wiles mobile cooker was developed by a Ballarat engineer, James Fletcher Wiles, on the advice of Sir Stanton Hicks, first Director of Catering for the Australian Army. The horse drawn cooker was operated by steam, raised by burning oil, to cook food and heat a baking oven. About 300 units were produced during WW1 (1914-18) and were in service in Egypt, France, and Australia. They could be operational in 20 minutes, and cooking could take place while being towed up to 50 kph..

Significance

The first trial of this major innovation in military cooking together with this fine study of a light horse regiment on the march makes this object a significant one to the Australian Army and Victoria.

Inscriptions & Markings

"The famous 8th Light Horse / returning from Greensborough Camp / After the first trial of the Wiles Cooker / Victoria 1914-1918"

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of 106 mm Recoiless Rifle mounted on Jeep. Photo taken at a recruiting display where members of public were able to inspect weapons closely.

Historical information

Jeep mounted 106 Recoilless Rifles were the equipment of Anti-tank Troop 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles , 1970s.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of a Dingo Scout Car and White Armoured Personnel Carrier at Puckapunyal. Crewmen in service dress uniform and berets.One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

" A Squadron at Puckapunyal Camp 1950. "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of soldiers on edge of parade ground with weapons.

Historical information

Regiments conducted Courses Camps to train RAAC crewmen.The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

" ASLT Troopers Course cleaning weapons after field exercise.Weapons being inspected by CSM ( Green tanksuit ) WO11Len gaughan. Courses Camp Puckapunyal 1982.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Coloured photograph of vehicle of 8/13 VMR Technical Support Group ( RAEME) camouflaged on exercise in Chiltern Forest. Standing on running board is Craftsman Ben Niewarth.

Historical information

8/13 VMR conducted numerous weekend training exercises in Chiltern Forest, Victoria.The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of 3 soldiers standing beside WW11 truck. Corporal Anton Florent 8/13 VMR in centre.

Historical information

‘A’ Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles took part in Bicentennial Parade at Wodonga 2 January 1988. Parade included Light Horse Heritage Troop, Historical Vehicle Club and current armoured vehicles.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and White photograph of Ferret Mk11 Scout Car parked in front of a building at Puckapunyal

Historical information

8/13 VMR was equipped with Ferret Scout in 1959. The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Collection of photographs showing early evolution of an armoured regiment of the Citizen Forces as it progressed from WWII equipment and uniforms to post-war equipment and uniforms. Silver regimental hat badges are worn in place of Rising Sun badge.

Hat

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Side hat, red cloth with folds outlined with gold piping. Gilt Victorian Military Forces cap badge.

Historical information

Provenance of this particular hat not known, however "Heroes and Gentlemen" by Winty Calder contains a photograph of Lieutenant Leslie Maygar wearing this style of hat, also a photograph of a group of Victorian Mounted Rifles officers wearing these hats.

Photographs

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Four black and white photographs of Corowa Anzac Day Service, 1985. Catafalque Party drawn from " A " Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted rifles. At left Trooper Stevens, right Trooper M.Roberts.

Historical information

8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles provided catafalque parties and sentries to Anzac Day Services throughout the regimental district.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Four black and white photographs of soldiers dressed up as women for a concert party at Merauke, Dutch New Guinea 1944. Part of 20th Light Horse collection.

Historical information

Example of soldiers making their own entertainment while posted to remote location in New Guinea during WW11 The 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) was raised in 1920 as part of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, Citizen Military Forces, with Headquarters at Seymour and depots along the Goulburn Valley from Mansfield to Tocumwal in southern NSW. In December 1941, 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 20th Motor Regiment. In 1943 the Regiment was deployed to Merauke, Dutch New Guinea. Upon its return in April 1945, the Regiment was redesignated 20th Pioneer Battalion. It was disbanded following the end of the war. 20th Light Horse was the only light horse regiment to serve overseas in WWII.

Significance

This is one of a collection of photographs featuring a Light Horse regiment drawn from rural and regional Victoria on active service during World War 2 (1939-1945).

Inscriptions & Markings

" Lowell French, John Cole, Ballet Girls. "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Seven colour photographs of Heritage Troop performing drill movements at 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles Open Day at Buna Barracks 28 February 1982.

Historical information

8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles Heritage Troop comprised serving soldiers of the unit, male and female, as extra curriculum activity

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of group in foyer prior to screening of film. Member of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles Heritage Troop Lance Guard in foreground.

Historical information

A’ Squadron 8/13 Victorian mounted Rifles hosted a special screening of the movie “The Lighthorsemen” at the Regent Theatre Albury on 11 September 1987. The official party included the Area Commander Albury-Wodonga Military Area, Honorary Colonel 8/13 VMR and Officer Commanding ‘a’ Squadron 8/13 VMR. The VMR Heritage Troop mounted a Lance-Guard in the theatre foyer and the Albury City Band played prior to the screening. Proceeds from the function were donated to Legacy.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and White photograph of column of horsemen, dismounted, in desert landscape. Two figures reclining at left foreground. Part of a collection of photographs of 8th Light Horse (AIF) on operations in Egypt and Sinai 1916-1918.

Historical information

The 8th Light Horse Regiment AIF was raised at Broadmeadows Victoria in September 1914 under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Alexander White and formed part of the 3rd Light Horse Brigade. The regiment served at Gallipoli where in a courageous but ill-fated charge at the Nek on 7 August 1915 it suffered horrendous casualties including Lieutenant Colonel White. Rebuilt in Egypt under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Leslie Maygar VC the regiment went on the serve throughout the Middle East Campaign. Colonel Maygar died of wounds at Beersheba when the regiment was attacked by enemy aircraft while waiting to follow up the successful charge of the 4th LH Brigade on 30 October 1917. The 8th Light Horse AIF was disbanded in 1919, but soon after re-raised as the 8th (Indi) Light Horse in the Citizen Military Forces, superseding 16th (Indi) Light Horse.

Significance

Comparatively rare collection of photographs of 8th Light Horse (AIF) on operations in Egypt and Sinai 1916-1918.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Resting in Wadi Ghuzzie outside Beershaba (slopes of Tel el Saba top right)"

Manual

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Maroon coloured stiff vinyl covered Technical manual being User Handbook Truck Wrecker 5 Ton GS with winch. Bound with metal screws. 102 pages. Published by Australian Army 19 February 1974.

Historical information

This vehicle was issued to 8/13 VMR in 1980s and 1990s for recovery purposes. Part of a collection of workshop manuals and user handbooks relating to equipment on issue to 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles during the latter half of the twentieth century.

Inscriptions & Markings

Ink stamp on title page " 8/13 VMR Regimental Collection ."

photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of Colonel G.K. Howard, Director RAAC, being received on parade. Colonel J.A. Neale stands behind him, Sergeant D. Reynolds at side.

Historical information

A’ Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles conducted a parade at Buna Barracks, Albury on Sunday 1 May 1988 to mark the 103rd Anniversary of the formation of the Victorian Mounted Rifles and the 40th Anniversary of the linking of the 8th (Indi), 13th (Gippsland) and 20th (Victorian Mounted Rifles) Light Horse Regiments to form the 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles. Colonel G K Howard, Director of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps was the Reviewing Officer. The Pipes and Drums of the 5th/6th Battalion Royal Victorian Regiment provided the music for the occasion. Following the parade Colonel Howard officially opened the Regimental Museum.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of two 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles soldiers with a rocket launcher.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of two soldiers of A Squadron 8/13 VMR during Exercise ' Northern Explorer ' Trooper Pratt and Lance Corporal Van De Velde demonstrate how the F2 Radio set could be carried. In addition the men would have webbing, pack and rifle to carry.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of group of 54 soldiers

Historical information

Postcard written by Albury soldier, Reg Ryan, serving with 20th Field Artillery Battery AIF, to his sister Gertie Ryan, Gertie Ryan was active in raising funds in Albury to support troops overseas.

Inscriptions & Markings

Reverse of photograph used as postcard - Addressed ' Dear Gert " and signed " Reg "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of line of General Grant tanks- mounted on pineboard

Inscriptions & Markings

B. Squadron, 8/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Puckapunyal 1953

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Two colour photographs of two soldiers of ' A ' Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles, one holding a dislodged guide post. Line of trucks behind them. probably a driver training exercise. Corporal M. Roberts is wearing beret.

Historical information

While many recruits could already drive when they joined 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles it took many hours of instruction and training before they were licenced to drive heavier, more complex army vehicles both on and off road and under combat conditions.

Photograph album - The Eighth Light Horse Book

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Leather bound album of 44 leaves containing collection of photographs taken by Signaller JC Campbell and typescripts of two letters written by Captain Mervin Higgins 8th Australian Light Horse AIF during WWI. Cover is faded maroon in colour.

Historical information

Following the death of his only child Mervin on 23 December 1916 at Magdhaba Egypt, Mr Justice Higgins HB has a small number, possibly as few as six, of memorial books made. He sought permission from Signaller JC Campbell to use a selection of photographs taken at Gallipoli and Egypt. The photographs together with typed copies of several letters written by Captain MB Higgins 8th ALH make up the book. It seems likely this copy of the book was given to the 8th Light Horse Association for safe keeping. Following the closure of the Association the last secretary Mr Matthew Maynes entrusted the book to a relative Mrs Baily to be donated to the 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles.

Significance

This is a rare, historic and artistic example of how one family sought to come to terms with the loss of their only child in the Great War 1914-1918.

Inscriptions & Markings

Donated by Mrs Baily [held] in trust to late M Maynes 8 ALH [to] VMR Museum 17.11.92

Diary - On patrol, nothing doing, very hot.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Diary and notebooks of 2678 Lance Corporal George A Hall, Anzac Provost Corps, AIF, World War One (1914-1918).

Historical information

The diaries and notebooks of 2678 Lance Corporal George Hall, Anzac Provost Corps were lodged with the 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Collection in the 1990s. Only in 2018 were they transcribed by Albury social historian Jan Hunter and published with the ISBN 978-0-992496-96-8.

Significance

Rare diaries & notebooks of a WWI military policeman.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and White photograph of two-wheeled water cart drawn by donkey, also two mounted men who are wearing sun toppees and one has a rifle in rifle bucket.

Historical information

The 8th Light Horse Regiment was engaged in the battle to capture Turkish defences in and around Beersheba in early November 1917 in conjunction with other Light Horse units and troops from the Imperial Camel Corps, British Yeomanry Division, New Mounted Rifles and 53 Welsh Division. The 8th Light Horse Regiment AIF was raised at Broadmeadows Victoria in September 1914 under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Alexander White and formed part of the 3rd Light Horse Brigade. The regiment served at Gallipoli where in a courageous but ill-fated charge at the Nek on 7 August 1915 it suffered horrendous casualties including Lieutenant Colonel White. Rebuilt in Egypt under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Leslie Maygar VC the regiment went on the serve throughout the Middle East Campaign. Colonel Maygar died of wounds at Beersheba when the regiment was attacked by enemy aircraft while waiting to follow up the successful charge of the 4th LH Brigade on 30 October 1917. The 8th Light Horse AIF was disbanded in 1919, but soon after re-raised as the 8th (Indi) Light Horse in the Citizen Military Forces, superseding 16th (Indi) Light Horse.

Significance

Comparatively rare collection of photographs of 8th Light Horse (AIF) on operations in Egypt and Sinai 1916-1918.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Captured Turkish water cart at Beersheba with British Yeomanry"

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of Major R. Morrison and Colonel G.K. Howard having completed the inspection of the mounted escort from the 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles Heritage Light Horse Troop.

Historical information

‘A’ Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles conducted a parade at Buna Barracks, Albury on Sunday 1 May 1988 to mark the 103rd Anniversary of the formation of the Victorian Mounted Rifles and the 40th Anniversary of the linking of the 8th (Indi), 13th (Gippsland) and 20th (Victorian Mounted Rifles) Light Horse Regiments to form the 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles. Colonel G K Howard, Director of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps was the Reviewing Officer. The Pipes and Drums of the 5th/6th Battalion Royal Victorian Regiment provided the music for the occasion. Following the parade Colonel Howard officially opened the Regimental Museum.