Stories Organisations Projects About Login

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection North Bandiana, Vic

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection is staffed by volunteers from the Regimental Association and contains documents, photographs and objects relating to citizen soldiers from Northeast Victoria and date from the late nineteenth century through to the present day.

Contact Information

location
Milpo Bandiana Vic 3694
phone
+61 0400 212 831

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment only

Location

Building 129 Carlisle Drive North Bandiana Vic

Anthony 'AJ' Hunter 26 November 2017 9:22 PM

A fantastic start - I hope to see more of your collection in the future

Barry Hacker 6 December 2017 6:16 AM

I have been following your work with great interest. All 8/13 VMR Association volunteers are to be congratulated. Well done.

Leave a comment

833 items

833 items

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of two M113A1 Medium Reconnaissance Vehicles, also known as Fire Support Vehicles on firing range Puckapunyal.

Historical information

Regiments conducted Courses Camps to train RAAC crewmen. The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

Courses Camp September 1982. Gunners ( FSV ) Course on Firing Point AFV 2. Puckapunyal. Left hand FSV Firing Main Armament "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of soldiers on edge of parade ground with weapons.

Historical information

Regiments conducted Courses Camps to train RAAC crewmen.The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

" ASLT Troopers Course cleaning weapons after field exercise.Weapons being inspected by CSM ( Green tanksuit ) WO11Len gaughan. Courses Camp Puckapunyal 1982.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of soldiers grouped in bush setting.

Historical information

Regiments conducted Courses Camps to train RAAC crewmen.The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Lt Tom Goode debriefing ASLT Troopers Course on Puckapunyal Range 1982."

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of soldiers resting in bush setting.

Historical information

Regiments conducted Courses Camps to train RAAC crewmen. The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

Assault Troopers Course field debrief conducted by lt Dan Wyborn ( kneeling ). Lt Tom Goode ( standing ).Puckapunyal Range Courses Camp 1982."

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of three soldiers in bush setting.

Historical information

Regiments conducted Courses Camps to train RAAC crewmen.The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Lt Tom Goode ( Bush Hat) briefing visiting officers from HQ 3 Div and OC major Cole ( left ) on a Defensive position deployed by the Assault trooper Course. Puckapunyal 1982. "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of soldiers marching past an officer on a saluting dais.

Historical information

Regiments conducted Courses Camps to train RAAC crewmen.The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Hand-over Parade Puckapunyal 1982. September Courses Camp March past for out-going OC Major G.F. Cole ( Crew Commanders Course ).

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of soldiers marching past an officer on saluting dais.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Hand-over parade Puckapunyal 1982. September Courses Camp March Past for out-going OC Major G f Cole ( D & S Course)

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of soldiers marching past an officer on saluting dais.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Hand-over Parade Puckapunyal 1982. September Courses camp march past for out-going OC Major GF Cole ( NCO Course.)

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of soldiers assembled on edge of parade ground.

Historical information

Regiments conducted Courses Camps to train RAAC crewmen.The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Courses Camp 1982 Puckapunyal. Sgt Schmidt waiting to move Tech Sgt and elements of Admin TP on to Parade."

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of group of soldiers outside brick building.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Officers form up ready to move on to Parade. Courses Camp Puckapunyal 1982. Hand-over parade Major GF Cole to Major IR Docking. "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of soldiers marching past an officer on saluting dais.

Historical information

Regiments conducted Courses Camps to train RAAC crewmen. The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Hand-over Parade Puckapunyal 1982. September Courses Camp March past for out-going OC Major GF Cole ( Radio Course )

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of soldiers marching past an officer on saluting dais.

Historical information

Regiments conducted Courses Camps to train RAAC crewmen.. The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

" hand-over Parade Puckapunyal 1982. September Courses Camp March Past for out-going OC Major GF Cole ( Assault Trooper Course ) "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of officers saluting at a parade of ' A ' Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles at a hand-over parade at Puckapunyal 1982.

Significance

he 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Major G.F. Cole handing ' A ' Sqn 8/13 VMR over to incoming OC Major IE Docking, Puckapunyal Courses Camp 1982. "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of group of guests at 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles Museum, Buna Barracks 28 February 1982. Three ladies and four gentlemen, one in uniform.

Historical information

This photograph was taken in early stages of development of Museum at Buna Barracks. Museum was officially opened 1 May 1988.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Mrs. M. Hough, Mr. Don Campbell Museum Committee, Lt. Col M Hough, The Hon TW Mitchell CMG " Towong Hill ", Mrs. Elyne Mitchell noted Authoress, daughter of Sir Harry Chauvel, Guests at Museum, 8/13 Open Day Buna Barracks, 28 February 1982.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of men on dais at 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles Open Day at Buna Barracks 28 February 1982.

Inscriptions & Markings

" John Maynes Ex 8th ALH presenting Norm Whitehead MC Ex 21st ALH, Chairman 8/13 Museum Committee with the Nichols Trophy ( Aggregate shooting score in 8th Rgt ( CMF) on behalf of himself and Capt. Burnham Fraser MC the last winner, absent through illness."

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of Major Norman Whitehead MC ( Retd) addressing gathering at 8/13 Victorian mounted Rifles Open day at Buna Barracks 28 February 1982. On dais with him are , left to right : Major G. Cole, Mr J Maynes, Mr. J. Moyle, Lieutenant Colonel M. Hough and Captain R. Fyffe ( Retd)

Historical information

Major Whitehead served in 21st Light Horse prior to WW11 ; 2/6th Armoured Regiment in WW11, and 8/13 VMR past WW11.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Seven colour photographs of Heritage Troop performing drill movements at 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles Open Day at Buna Barracks 28 February 1982.

Historical information

8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles Heritage Troop comprised serving soldiers of the unit, male and female, as extra curriculum activity

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Five colour photographs of members of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles Heritage Troop being presented with RAAOC Appreciation Certificates by Captain R. Fyffe MC at 8/13 VMR Open day at Buna Barracks 28 February 1982.

Historical information

Heritage Troop performed escort duties at ceremonies held by other Corps and units locally and regionally.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Two colour photographs of members of Assault Troop ' A " Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles taking part in training in snow conditions, 1982.

Historical information

Adventure training was conducted to familiarize soldiers with different climatic conditions

Inscriptions & Markings

" Pte Cameron ( Tucknott ), Tpr Petering, Pte Hilton ".

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of Lance Corporal Petering wearing parachute and red helmet preparing for a jump..He was a member of Assault Troop 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles.

Historical information

During the 1980s members of 8/13 VMR were given the opportunity for parachute training.

Uniform

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Khaki woolen tunic with colour patches of 13th Armoured Regiment, metal buttons, Rising Sun lapel badges and metal 'Australia' titles; fabric ribbon bar and overseas service chevrons.

Historical information

The 13th (Gippsland) Light Horse, a Citizen Military Forces unit was raised following WWI, and trained as a cavalry regiment till August 1940, when it converted from horse to mechanised initially as 13th Motor Regiment then 13th Armoured Regiment. It trained in Victoria and, as the Japanese threat to the mainland declined, was disbanded in October 1943 with men going to other units.

Uniform

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Khaki woollen tunic with colour patches of 20th Motor Regiment. Metal 'Australia' shoulder titles, metal Rising Sun collar badges and metal buttons.

Historical information

Upon mechanisation in December 1941, 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) was re-titled 20th Motor Regiment (Victorian Mounted Rifles). It was equipped with Bren Gun Carriers and deployed to airfield defence in Northern Territory. In 1943, the Regiment was deployed to Merauke, Dutch New Guinea, where it conducted patrols along the coast and up rivers using barges and canoes. Returning to Australia in April 1945, the Regiment was redesignated 20th Pioneer Battalion then disbanded several months later at the end of the war.

Significance

Good quality reproduction.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of Captain Terry Fraser, Lieutenant Robert Morrison, and Sergeant Hugh Wilson speaking with HRH Princess Anne at the presentation of the new guidon to 14/20 King's Hussars at Hohne, Germany, 12 june 1982.

Historical information

14/20 King's hussars is an affiliated regiment of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles. A contingent from 8/13 VMR attended the presentation.

Document

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Eight page booklet with cover being the program for the presentation of the new guidon to the 14/20 King's Hussars by HRH Princess Anne at Hohine Germany, 12 June 1982.

Historical information

14/20 King's Hussars is an affiliated regiment of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles. A contingent from 8/13 VMR attended the presentation.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of Major Gordon Cole on an officers' revision course conducted at Tully, North Queensland, May 1982.Major Cole was Officer Commanding " A " Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles..

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Document

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white single fold card being program for Regimental Open Day at Buna Barrack Albury, 10 May 1981. Contains brief history of Regiment, program for day and map of Buna Barracks.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Four black and white photographs of Corowa Anzac Day Service, 1985.Catafalque Party drawn from " A "Squadron , 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles. At left Trooper Stevens. right Trooper M. Roberts.

Historical information

*/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles provided catafalque parties and sentries to Anzac Day Services throughout the regimental district.

Photographs

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Four black and white photographs of Corowa Anzac Day Service, 1985. Catafalque Party drawn from " A " Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted rifles. At left Trooper Stevens, right Trooper M.Roberts.

Historical information

8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles provided catafalque parties and sentries to Anzac Day Services throughout the regimental district.

Photographs

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Four black and white photographs of Corowa Anzac day Service, 1985. Catafalque party drawn from ' A ' Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles. At left Trooper Stevens. right trooper M. Roberts.

Historical information

8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles provided Catafalque parties and sentries to Anzac Day Services throughout the regimental district

Document

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Printed card for VMR Centenary Dinner giving Wine List and music; contains significant dates for VMR; battle Honours; 100 years of VMR mobility.

Historical information

The Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as the mounted arm of the Victorian Colonial defence force in 1885. It was under the command of Colonel Thomas Caradoc Rose (Tom) Price (1842-1911). Price was born in Tasmania, educated in Hobart Town and at Scotch College, Melbourne, before entering the East India Military College, Addiscombe, England. He was commissioned on 7 July 1861 in the Madras Infantry and began twenty years’ service in India with several regiments, retiring in April 1883. On his return to Victoria he was tasked with raising of a force of one thousand, to be known as the Victorian Mounted Rifles, and appointed a lieutenant-colonel in the Permanent Military Forces. Companies of the Victorian Mounted Rifles were raised in rural districts throughout Victoria. The soldiers were paid a small annual allowance and were required to provide their own horse. Many members served in contingent to the Boer War. After Federation the VMR was gathered up into the Australian Light Horse.