Stories Organisations Projects About Login

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection North Bandiana, Vic

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection is staffed by volunteers from the Regimental Association and contains documents, photographs and objects relating to citizen soldiers from Northeast Victoria and date from the late nineteenth century through to the present day.

Contact Information

location
Milpo Bandiana Vic 3694
phone
+61 0400 212 831

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment only

Entry Fee

Nil

Location

Building 129 Carlisle Drive North Bandiana Vic

Anthony 'AJ' Hunter 26 November 2017 9:22 PM

A fantastic start - I hope to see more of your collection in the future

Barry Hacker 6 December 2017 6:16 AM

I have been following your work with great interest. All 8/13 VMR Association volunteers are to be congratulated. Well done.

Leave a comment

925 items

925 items

Photograph

Colour photograph of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles officers and guests at a Dining In night 22 April 1989. From left : Major ( Ret'd ) Reg McDermott, unknown, Mr Ewan Cameron MLA, Captain Colin Carrington,Lieutenant Mathews, Lieutenant John Clay.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Two colour photographs showing the parade offering the Royal Salute at the completion of the " Advance in Review Order " movement. Note ' This is the only occasion that regimental guidons are lowered. ' All ranks in the viewing stand salute.

Historical information

In 1985, the portion of Puckapunyal Army Camp housing the Armoured School and Corps Museum underwent a major rebuild. The new facility named Hopkins Barracks was officially opened by HRH Prince Charles on 31 October 1985. Prince Charles, who was accompanied by his wife HRH Princess Diana, is Colonel in Chief of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps (RAAC). The Barracks is named to honour Major General R N L Hopkins who was instrumental in the development of the RAAC and is affectionally known as the ‘father of the Corps’.

Significance

Part of collection of photographs of a rare event on the Australian military calendar, the opening of Hopkins Barracks Puckapunyal by HRH Prince Charles, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps (RAAC) on 31 October 1985.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Certificate

Colour Certificate from the Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria awarding Second Prize to 20th Light Horse Regiment entry in Lloyd Lindsay Section, 1938.

Historical information

20th Light Horse competed at the RAS in the period prior to WW11.The 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) was raised in 1920 as part of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, Citizen Military Forces, with Headquarters at Seymour and depots along the Goulburn Valley from Mansfield to Tocumwal in southern NSW. In December 1941, 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 20th Motor Regiment. In 1943 the Regiment was deployed to Merauke, Dutch New Guinea. Upon its return in April 1945, the Regiment was redesignated 20th Pioneer Battalion. It was disbanded following the end of the war. 20th Light Horse was the only light horse regiment to serve overseas in WWII.

Significance

Rare examples of prizes awarded to Light Horse at Royal Agricultural Show.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Field Notebook - Army Book 152 / Correspondence Book / (Field Service)

Key words

patino
notebook
13th battery
albury battery

Light brown card covered book,pages rulled in graph pattern. Cover marked "Army Book 152 Correspondence Book (Field Service) used by Sergeant Edwin R Patino 13th Battery (Albury Battery) while serving on Western Front.

Historical information

Part of a collection of items from Sergeant Edwin Patino 13th Battery 5th FAB AIF (Albury Battery). Other items in the collection include WWI Tunic with belt and bandolier, and personal items.

Significance

Rare example of a field Notebook used by an Artillery Sergeant to record fire plan details on Western Front WWI. Well provenanced and part of a larger collection belonging to the same soldier.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Black and White photograph of 8/13 VMR soldier in turret of M 113 Armoured Personnel Carrier with boy in civilian dress wearing headphones.

Historical information

Army Reserve regiments were responsible for their own recruiting in 1970s

Significance

Shows recruiting activity

Inscriptions & Markings

" Trooper McKechnie Recruiting Drive."

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Black and white photo of a State car carrying Sir Dallas Brooks escorted by Doodlebug Scout Car manned by 8/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Tray

Key words

trophy
jackel lk captain

Circular silver tray with raised edge,engraved at centre and around perimeter and also on base

Historical information

Captain Lyle Jackel, a Wangaratta citizen soldier joined 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles in 1965 as a trooper. He progressed through the ranks, retiring as a captain in the 1990s. He is a member of the Regimental Association.

Significance

Fine example of a skill at arms trophy presented by an officer of the Army Reserve. The pithy comment engraved on the base adds to its uniqueness.

Inscriptions & Markings

At centre: "8/13Victorian Mounted Rifles. Best aggregate Small Arms Score. Presented by Capt. L.K, Jackel 1965 - 1990" Around Edge " Capt. J.S. McLean OC TST1990" - Capt.J.F.McLean TO VMR 1991 - Capt.J.F.McLean TO VMR 1992." Capt. L.K. Jackel 2IC VMR 1993 - Lt. H. Burvill VMR 1994" ON Base " Those who beat their swords into ploughshares usually end up ploughing for those who kept their swords"

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Document - AAF A18 Guard Report

Key words

queen elizabeth ii
royal visit 1954
government house melbourne

Photocopy of a three page report prepared for period 1/2 March 1954 when 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment provided the guard at Government House Melbourne during the visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. The report lists the officer, 4 non commissioned officers and 20 other ranks comprising the guard together with timings and locations of the sentry posts. Also details of the guard duties, the general remarks at the conclusion of the guard period and the signatures of the Guard Commander, Captain LA Jackson 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and the Relieving Guard Commander Captain EJ King, 2nd Medium Regiment.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment. The queen was resident at Government House Melbourne for nine days and during the time guard duties were shared by 1st Battalion Royal Australian Regiment, 3rd Division Royal Australian Artillery, 5th Infantry Battalion (Victorian Scottish), 6th Infantry Battalion (Royal Melbourne Regiment), 4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse, 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles, 2nd Medium Regiment, 22nd Field Regiment and Melbourne University Rifles.

Significance

Rare document relating to guard duty at Government House Melbourne mounted by a unit of the citizen Military Forces from Victoria during a royal visit .

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Black and white photograph of a soldier on horseback outside a brick building.

Historical information

69 Corporal Eric Thewlis. The 13th Light Horse Regiment (AIF) was raised t Broadmeadows Victoria in March 1915. Following service at Gallipoli the regiment was broken up with squadrons going to France as Divisional Cavalry Squadrons of 2nd, 4th and 5ht Divisions. The regiment was reformed as firstly 1st Anzac Corps Mounted Troops and lather Australian Corps Mounted Troops.

Inscriptions & Markings

" E. Thewlis France 22.9.1916 "

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Book - Demobilization Book

Demobilization Procedure Book No. 4505 87 8th March 1948

Inscriptions & Markings

VX 60307 Fink Geoffrey Roland

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Historical information

‘A’ Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles conducted a parade at Buna Barracks, Albury on Sunday 1 May 1988 to mark the 103rd Anniversary of the formation of the Victorian Mounted Rifles and the 40th Anniversary of the linking of the 8th (Indi), 13th (Gippsland) and 20th (Victorian Mounted Rifles) Light Horse Regiments to form the 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles. Colonel G K Howard, Director of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps was the Reviewing Officer. The Pipes and Drums of the 5th/6th Battalion Royal Victorian Regiment provided the music for the occasion. Following the parade Colonel Howard officially opened the Regimental Museum.

Inscriptions & Markings

Colour photograph of No 2 Guard marching on to parade ground.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Collection of six black and white photographs of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles in the Anzac Day parade at Albury 1964. Vehicles are Ferret and White Scout cars and Humber 1 Ton Trucks. Carrying guidon is Warrant Officer W. Woolford.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment. 6

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Three black and white photographs of Centurion tanks of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles on manoeuvres at Puckapunyal during annual exercise, 1969.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Framed plumes - Kangaroo feathers

Wooden frame with glass front contain set of emu plumes and a cutting from a magazine giving a history of the wearing of the plumes which are whimsically called 'kangaroo feathers'.

Significance

Well presented display panel showing plumes and giving a history of their wearing by Australian mounted soldiers.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

no image

Photograph

Black and white photograph of soldier in service dress uniform, boots, web anklets, belt and shoulder straps, slouch hat, .303 rifle.One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Anzac Day duties. Sgt. Bill Purcell. "

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Framed black and white photograph of officer wearing 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles hat badge. Title strip below photograph.

Historical information

Major Douglas Hunter joined 8/13 VMR following National Service training in 1956. He rose through the ranks to become Officer Commanding " A " Squadron 8/13 VMR 1976 - 2980.The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

One of a collection of photographic portraits of Commanding Officers and Officers Commanding of the regiment/independent squadron from its inception in 1947 to its linking with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse in 1991.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Major D.J. Hunter RFD 1976 - 1980

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Black and white photograph mounted on card of four mounted horsemen being a section of the 20th Light Horse Regiment circa 1939. A fine image but the keen eyed observer will note the negative has been reversed in the processing.

Historical information

A section of four riflemen was the basic element of a Light Horse unit. In action when forced to dismount, three men formed the firing group while one man took the horses to cover.The 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) was raised in 1920 as part of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, Citizen Military Forces, with Headquarters at Seymour and depots along the Goulburn Valley from Mansfield to Tocumwal in southern NSW. In December 1941, 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 20th Motor Regiment. In 1943 redesignated 20th Pioneer Battalion and deployed to Merauke, Dutch New Guinea. The regiment was disbanded at the end of the war, 1945. 20th Light Horse was the only light horse unit to serve overseas in WWII.

Significance

This is one of a collection of photographs featuring a Light Horse regiment drawn from rural and regional Victoria in the period immediately prior to mobilisation for World War 2 (1939-1945).

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Colour photograph of 2 soldiers standing behind M 113 Armoured Fitters Vehicle. Soldiers are trooper J. French and Corporal P. Ziebarth, 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles.

Historical information

‘A’ Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles took part in Bicentennial Parade at Wodonga 2 January 1988. Parade included Light Horse Heritage Troop, Historical Vehicle Club and current armoured vehicles.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Badge

Key words

irish republican army (ira)
rutledge w r captain nx112296
dublin brigade ira
world war 1 (1914-18)

Three SInn Fein Irish badges mounted on black mount including cap badge of Dublin Brigade IRA at left. Other badges not identified. Collected as a souvenir by William Rutledge while recovering from wounds sustained in 1918 while serving with 35th Battalion AIF and form part of a collection of memorabilia.

Historical information

Captain William Robert Rutledge volunteered for the AIF 25 June 1917 as an 18 year-old farm labourer of Hay NSW. He served as No 6935 with 35th Battalion on Western Front; wounded in action April 1918; Returned to Australia March 1919. Served in 21st Light Horse Regiment (CMF) between the wars. Second AIF rank service as NX 112296 12 September 1942 – 4 October 1946, in 26 Work Company with rank of Captain.

Significance

Unusual souvenirs acquired by soldier from rural NSW while serving in WWI and now part of a collection of his memorabilia.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

no image

Document

Typed administrative instruction for parade through the main streets of Wangaratta and Benalla on 3 August 1985 to mark the Centenary of the Victorian Mounted Rifles. 3 pages dated 28 June 1985.

Historical information

The Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as the mounted arm of the Victorian Colonial defence force in 1885. It was under the command of Colonel Thomas Caradoc Rose (Tom) Price (1842-1911). Price was born in Tasmania, educated in Hobart Town and at Scotch College, Melbourne, before entering the East India Military College, Addiscombe, England. He was commissioned on 7 July 1861 in the Madras Infantry and began twenty years’ service in India with several regiments, retiring in April 1883. On his return to Victoria he was tasked with raising of a force of one thousand, to be known as the Victorian Mounted Rifles, and appointed a lieutenant-colonel in the Permanent Military Forces. Companies of the Victorian Mounted Rifles were raised in rural districts throughout Victoria. The soldiers were paid a small annual allowance and were required to provide their own horse. Many members served in contingent to the Boer War. After Federation the VMR was gathered up into the Australian Light Horse.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Manual

Green coloured heavy card covered technical manual, screw bound, adhesive fabric spine being Instructions for the Australian Army Ordnance Services Storage in the Tropics 1966.

Historical information

All field units such as 8/13 VMR had need of methods to store equipment. This document provided a template for storage in tropical conditions.

Significance

Moderate research value

Inscriptions & Markings

Ink stamp on title page " 8/13VMR Regimental Collection. "

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Black and white photograph of four 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles soldiers standing behind table outside a tent. One is in white cook's dress.

Historical information

This group were the Regimental cook for Annual Camp 1973. Sergeant Robertson was the Regimental Sergeant Cook.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Blue Bullock, Lin Lacey, Sgt. Jimmy Robertson.". One soldier not identified.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Collection of colour photographs taken at a visit to 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles Museum at Buna Barracks, Albury by former members of 8th Cavalry Regiment on 10 December 1989.

Historical information

The 8/13 VMR Museum opened in 1988 in a vacant married quarter at Buna Barracks, Victoria Street, Albury. It closed and relocated to North Bandiana in 2000.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Black and white photograph of men, women and children at Buna Barracks, Albury. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Sgtt's Mess Xmas Party. 1. Bill Purcell. 2. Ken Kothoff "

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Three coloured photographs of the Boer War memorial at Euroa, Victoria. Two names are recorded: Private Charles Edwin Williams and Private James Edwin White.

Historical information

Several hundred soldiers from North East Victoria served in contingents of Victorian Mounted Rifles in South Africa between 1899 and 1902.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Two colour photographs of ' A ' Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles formed for the march to Holy Trinity Church Benalla 4 August 1985 for the Centenary Service.

Historical information

The Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as the mounted arm of the Victorian Colonial defence force in 1885. It was under the command of Colonel Thomas Caradoc Rose (Tom) Price (1842-1911). Price was born in Tasmania, educated in Hobart Town and at Scotch College, Melbourne, before entering the East India Military College, Addiscombe, England. He was commissioned on 7 July 1861 in the Madras Infantry and began twenty years’ service in India with several regiments, retiring in April 1883. On his return to Victoria he was tasked with raising of a force of one thousand, to be known as the Victorian Mounted Rifles, and appointed a lieutenant-colonel in the Permanent Military Forces. Companies of the Victorian Mounted Rifles were raised in rural districts throughout Victoria. The soldiers were paid a small annual allowance and were required to provide their own horse. Many members served in contingent to the Boer War. After Federation the VMR was gathered up into the Australian Light Horse.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Black and white photograph of line of General Grant tanks- mounted on pineboard

Inscriptions & Markings

B. Squadron, 8/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Puckapunyal 1953

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Black and white photograph of two soldiers of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles cleaning the barrel of a 76mm gun on 76mm M113 Fire Support Vehicle. Corporal Marcos Ludeman at left.

Historical information

Shows field dress and webbing equipment worn in 1989. The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Folder

Key words

huf
grave
photograph
chatby military cemetery

Green-grey heavy paper folder containing photograph of grave marker of 533 Sergeant CW Huf 7th Battalion AIF who died of wounds sustained at Gallipoli on 13 May 1915. Sgt Huf was 20 years of age.

Historical information

The folder containing the photograph of Sergeant Huf's grave in Egypt was sent to his father. The card is inscribed 'Cpl' but Huf had been promoted to Sergeant just prior to his wounding and evacuation from Gallipoli on HMT "Royal George". He died of his wounds at sea and was buried in Egypt. This folder was part of a collection of items donated to Albury RSL by his surviving sister Miss Edna Huf of Albury about 1970 and passed to the 8/13th VMR Collection.

Significance

Part of a unique collection of items relating to a single Australian soldier who died in the Gallipoli campaign, WWI, and kept by a sibling till close to her death and passed to a local military collection for keeping.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inside cover "Huf C.W,/ 533 Cpl / 7th Bn / Chatby Mil Cem / Alexandria / Egypt" and on back cover "(Father) C W Huf / Australia"

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Photograph

Black and white photograph of three soldiers of ' A ' Squadron, 8th Light Horse Regiment standing outside tent. Identified as Les Lees - Left, Jack Riley - centre, Vin Keidy - right.

Historical information

The 8th Light Horse (Indi) Regiment superseded the 16th Light Horse in 1919. It had its headquarters at Benalla with sub-units throughout the Upper Murray and Northeast Victoria. In December 1941, the regiment converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 8th Reconnaissance Battalion then in July 1942 it became 8th Cavalry Regiment and served in Northern Territory. As Japanese threat to the mainland declined the regiment was disbanded.

Significance

Part of a series showing aspects of Citizen Soldering circa 1930s.

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana