The Chelsea and District Historical Society Inc. was formed on December 10th. 1963. Following a “Pioneer Night” at the Rotary Club of Chelsea during 1959. The name given was the City of Chelsea Historical Society.
Several documents and early Newspapers were placed in the care of the then Town Clerk, the late Mr. Hugh Hackwell. The inaugural meeting was called by the then Mayor, Cr. Bert Hummerstone, J.P. at the request of Rotarians Clarrie Inchley, Bill Dennington, and Frank McGuire. Frank McGuire was the Societies Historian from 1963 until he retired from office in 1996. Frank is of course a life member, unfortunately he has since died RIP.
The Chelsea Historical Society Court House Museum is the corner stone of continued research, collection, preservation and dissemination of the history of the former City of Chelsea and adjoining districts. It is an enjoyable Museum for the local community and visitors with particular emphasis on the pictorial history of the area through varied displays. The Court House Museum is currently closed and under restoration,we are currently at 313a Station Street, Chelsea For further information please phone 9772 0145