Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Mission to Seafarers Victoria Docklands, Victoria

For their safe and efficient operations, ships depend on seafarers working far from their home and family for months, sometimes years and often in harsh, isolated and dangerous conditions. The Mission to Seafarers Victoria supports seafarers in the most practical way, by provision of support. Mission to Seafarers is an international organisation that began in 1836, with 26 facilities operating in Australia.

Links

Contact Information

location
717 Flinders Street Docklands Victoria 3008 (map)
phone
+61 03 96297083

Contact

Opening Hours

9am-10pm

Entry Fee

Free

Location

717 Flinders Street Docklands Victoria

View on Google Maps

The collection focus is on the Mission to Seafarers Victoria organisational history and the communities surrounding it - seafarers, the Anglican chaplaincy and philanthropic groups, such as the Ladies Habour Lights Guild. The collection spans from the late 1800s to the present day. It comprises documents, books, photographs and objects.

Significance

The Mission to Seafarers' heritage collection and building is of at least state significance (architectural). The buildings and several collection items are listed on the Victorian Heritage Register (H1496) and the National Trust Register (B4588) due to their representativeness of the Arts and Crafts and Spanish Mission styles. The collection holds historical significance because of its importance to Australia's cultural history through its representation of national maritime welfare and migration themes. The collection holds social/spiritual significance as a place of strong or special association with national and international seafaring community, and with the national and international Anglican Church movement and prominent philanthropic groups and individuals.

Margaret 12 October 2016 5:42 PM

I am researching a Mariner who arrived allegedly on the "Essex" - date unknown but it would have been before 1872 when he married at the Fitzroy Registry Office. His name was Alexander Bothwell from Aberdeen Scotland. Would there be any records going back that far? Do you research for queries ? If so, how much ? Thanks.

Leave a comment

1313 items

1313 items

Photograph

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Colour photograph of the three stained-glass windows at the back of the St Peter the Mariner's Chapel, taken from the centre, red-carpeted aisle between the pews.

Historical information

The window dedicated to Miss Tracy was unveiled in 1933. The window dedicated to Miss Godfrey was unveiled in 1935.

Significance

The images of stained-glass windows in the Saint Peter's the Mariner's Chapel at 717 Flinders St, are a visual history of the Mission and the people associated with it. Apart from the links with long standing and significant Melbourne women, members of the LHLG. Miss Tracy's family was instrumental in the foundation of the Women's hospital in Melbourne. These windows in particular are also known to have been designed and made by Brooks Robinson a significant company of Stained glass manufacturers with examples of their work found througout Melbourne and Victoria.

Photograph

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Colour photograph of the stained-glass window dedicated to Ethel Godfrey at the back of the St Peter the Mariner's Chapel, taken from the centre, red-carpeted aisle between the pews.

Historical information

Ethel Godfrey formed the Ladies Harbour Lights Guild in 1906 and was its Honorary Secretary. Thanks to her social connection and her energy she remained the driving force of the Guild until until 1930 when her health deteriorated. She died in 1935 and the window was dedicated on Thursday 19 December 1935 by Archbishop Head.

Significance

The images of stained-glass windows in the Saint Peter's the Mariner's Chapel at 717 Flinders St, are a visual history of the Mission and the people associated with it. Apart from the links with long standing and significant Melbourne women, members of the LHLG. Miss Tracy's family was instrumental in the foundation of the Women's hospital in Melbourne. These windows in particular are also known to have been designed and made by Brooks Robinson a significant company of Stained glass manufacturers with examples of their work found througout Melbourne and Victoria.

Inscriptions & Markings

details of dedications to Ms Godfrey are also included in media field

Photograph

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Colour photograph of stained-glass window at the back of the St Peter the Mariner's Chapel, taken from the centre, red-carpeted aisle between the pews.

Historical information

The window is at the centre of the three windows. On its right is Alice Sibthorpe Tracy's memorial window and its left Ethel Godfrey's window. According to the 1932 Annual Report Miss Tracy "crossed the Bar" after 25 years of working for the Mission to Seamen through the Ladies Harbour Light Guild from the time the group was established in 1906. She was an office bearer for many years and died aged 75. The window dedicated to Miss Tracy was unveiled in 1933 and noted in the Annual Report of that year.

Significance

The images of stained-glass windows in the Saint Peter's the Mariner's Chapel at 717 Flinders St, are a visual history of the Mission and the people associated with it. Apart from the links with long standing and significant Melbourne women, members of the LHLG. Miss Tracy's family was instrumental in the foundation of the Women's hospital in Melbourne. These windows in particular are also known to have been designed and made by Brooks Robinson a significant company of Stained glass manufacturers with examples of their work found througout Melbourne and Victoria.

Quinn Letter - Letter

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

A two-page letter written on a single sheet of unlined, buff-coloured paper (0855.a) headed London and dated 9/01/51. There is no envelope

Historical information

Allan writes that he had '...a marvellous time in Norway over Xmas and the New Year.' He is now settling in in London and busy organising accommodation, banking and ration cards.

Significance

Quinn Collection

Inscriptions & Markings

The letter is from Allan to his mother.

Quinn Letter - Letter

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

A single sheet of very thin paper folded in half, book form, with writing on the first and third pages only (0854.a). Written in green ink it is headed Oslo and dated 14/12/50. The air-mail envelope (0854.b) is bordered with alternating purple and yellow diagonal stripes. There are three Norwegian stamps, one green and two purple, in the right upper corner. It is post-marked Oslo and addressed Mrs K Hayes, 14 Fitzroy Street, St. Kilda, Victoria, Australia.

Historical information

Allan writes that he has left the ship M S Mongabarra in Sweden and travelled by train to Oslo where he will stay for about 14 days before travelling to London. He has sent '...a very big carton, a smaller one - a trunk and coffee table back to Australia.'

Significance

Quinn Collection

Inscriptions & Markings

The letter is from Allan to his mother.

Quinn Letter - Letter

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

A single sheet of very thin paper folded in half, book form, with writing on the first and third pages only (0854.a). Written in green ink it is headed Oslo and dated 14/12/50. The air-mail envelope (0854.b) is bordered with alternating purple and yellow diagonal stripes. There are three Norwegian stamps, one green and two purple, in the right upper corner. It is post-marked Oslo and addressed Mrs K Hayes, 14 Fitzroy Street, St. Kilda, Victoria, Australia.

Historical information

Allan writes that he has left the ship M S Mongabarra in Sweden and travelled by train to Oslo where he will stay for about 14 days before travelling to London. He has sent '...a very big carton, a smaller one - a trunk and coffee table back to Australia.'

Significance

Quinn Collection

Inscriptions & Markings

The letter is from Allan to his mother.

Quinn Letter - Letter

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Three page letter written on three sheets of thin, unlined, buff-coloured paper (0853.1a-3a). It is headed Salinas and dated 08/12/50. The air-mail envelope (0853.b) is bordered with red and blue alternating diagonal stripes. It is addressed to Mr Allan Quinn, Liddesdale Avenue, Frankston, Victoria, Australia. The return address, written in the top left hand corner, is Peer Rasmussen, 330 1/2 Central Avenue, Salinas, California, USA. The stamps and part of the post-mark have been torn from the envelope.

Historical information

The writer is replying to a letter from Allan and contains news of fellow seafarers.

Significance

Quinn Collection

Inscriptions & Markings

Letter commences 'Hello my friend, .....' and concludes ....'your sincere friend, Peer.'

Quinn Letter - Letter

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

This letter is written on a single sheet of unlined buff-coloured paper. The paper has been folded in half, in book form (0852.a). It is headed The Meadows, Epsom and is dated 7/12/50. The off-white envelope (0852.b) is addressed to Kip Hayes, 14 Fitzroy Street, St Kilda, Victoria. The envelope is stamped with two United Kingdom stamps in the upper right hand corner, an air mail sticker on the left and is post-marked Epsom, Surrey.

Historical information

The correspondent writes '.... I am sending ........a little Xmas gift of 100 pounds Sterling that should be worth 125 pounds at the rate of exchange when it reaches Australia'

Significance

Quinn Collection

Inscriptions & Markings

The letter commences 'Dear Kip...' and is signed 'Jim'.

Newspaper - Newspaper found under floorboard during renovations (winter 2019)

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Digital photographs series - Floor board in Flying Angel Club after renovation winter 2019

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Letter book - The Victorian Seamens' Mission, Institutes and Rests: No 2 Letter Book (1895-1902)

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Large alphabetically indexed book with leather bound spine and corners with green stiff board covers and red marbled end papers. Contains some 754 bound letters mostly hand written on numbered fine thin 19th C. duplicating paper in red brown [sepia] ink. Paper label pasted over spine with handwritten content and inscriptions and cross referenced and indexed listings of each recipient of correspondence.

Historical information

One of 2 volumes of late 19th early 20th Century letter books. Each volume provides us with extensive listings of correspondence with supporters, fundraisers, patrons, architects, Mission staff and business transactions carried out by the Honorary Secretary Mr WHC Darvall over the period of a decade. Queen Victoria, Governors of Victoria: Earl of Hopetoun, Lord Brassey, Sir George Sydenham Clark, Lord Talbot and Governors General: Baron Northcote, performers such as Nellie Melba, Kitty Grindley, Sir Samuel Gllott president of the Law Institute, Hugh Reid, Crawford Pasco R.N. FRGS are just a few.

Significance

The late 19th C - early 20th C period covered by the 2 vol collection of correspondence records together with annual reports and minutes documents a significant transition period not only across centuries but also towards a new framework of operations for the original mid 19th C founded Mission to seamen. The death of a long-standing Chaplain, Wesleyan, Ebenezer James in 1901 eventually led to a proposed merger in 1905 which resulted in the amalgamation of the Victorian Mission with the Anglican based Mission to Seafarers under the leadership of Rev'd Gurney Goldsmith who arrived in 1905. The new Mission was launched in 1906 with a long planned and much needed new central building opened in 1907 on the Australian Wharf. Mr Darvall, in his time produced a handwritten 40 page epitomised history, drawn from annual reports and was exceptionally meticulous in his efforts to cross reference related correspondence, press clippings, report material and documents. He was a strong supporter of Libraries and first town clerk of Beechworth.

Inscriptions & Markings

In handwritten black ink primary inscription on title page (see title field this record...) also: "Commencing on 19th October 1902 Ending ...1905 / Indexed to:.../ WHC Darvall / Hon'y Secretary. "

Letter book - The Victorian Seamens' Mission, Institutes and Rests: No 1 Letter Book (1895-1902)

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Large alphabetically indexed book with leather bound spine and corners with green stiff board covers and red marbled end papers. Contains some 754 bound letters mostly hand written on numbered fine thin 19th C. duplicating paper in red brown [sepia] ink. Paper label pasted over spine with handwritten content and inscriptions and cross referenced and indexed listings of each recipient of correspondence.

Historical information

One of 2 volumes of late 19th early 20th Century letter books. Each volume provides us with extensive listings of correspondence with supporters, fundraisers, patrons, architects, Mission staff and business transactions carried out by the Honorary Secretary Mr WHC Darvall over the period of a decade. Queen Victoria, Governors of Victoria: Earl of Hopetoun, Lord Brassey, Sir George Sydenham Clark, Lord Talbot and Governors General: Baron Northcote, performers such as Nellie Melba, Kitty Grindley, Sir Samuel Gllott president of the Law Institute, Hugh Reid, Crawford Pasco R.N. FRGS are just a few.

Significance

The late 19th C - early 20th C period covered by the 2 vol collection of correspondence records together with annual reports and minutes documents a significant transition period not only across centuries but also towards a new framework of operations for the original mid 19th C founded Mission to seamen. The death of a long-standing Chaplain, Wesleyan, Ebenezer James in 1901 eventually led to a proposed merger in 1905 which resulted in the amalgamation of the Victorian Mission with the Anglican based Mission to Seafarers under the leadership of Rev'd Gurney Goldsmith who arrived in 1905. The new Mission was launched in 1906 with a long planned and much needed new central building opened in 1907 on the Australian Wharf. Mr Darvall, in his time produced a handwritten 40 page epitomised history, drawn from annual reports and was exceptionally meticulous in his efforts to cross reference related correspondence, press clippings, report material and documents. He was a strong supporter of Libraries and first town clerk of Beechworth.

Inscriptions & Markings

Primary inscription on title page ( see title field this record) also: "Commencing on Sunday 1st of February , 1895. / Ending on Saturday 18th December , 1902 / Indexed to / Page 18,22,29,32,34,35,44,45,48,53,63,75,80,82, 90, 112, 120, 121,136,151,167,171,173,174, 185, 200, 212, 216, 218, 232, 233, 241, 361, 362, 373, 375, 378, 428, 455, 477, 508, 509, 516, 520, 521, 543, 562, 607, 657, 658, 667, 669, 706, 718, 724, 732, 735, 738, 741, 745 748, 749 ./ WHC Darvall / Hon'y Secretary. "

Digital photograph

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph depicting the foundation stone laid on the 18 May 1937 for the new Mission in Port Melbourne.

Inscriptions & Markings

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND THE WELFARE OF ALL SEAFARERS THIS FOUNDATION STONE WAS LAID BY HIS EXCELLENCY THE GOVERNOR OF VICTORIA THE LORD HUNTINGFIELD K.C.M.G. MAY 18th 1937 THIS BRANCH INSTITUTE OF THE VICTORIA MISSIONS TO SEAMEN WAS ERECTED THROUGH THE GENEROSITY OF ALFRED M.NICHOLAS ESQ. OFFICE OF HARRY A.NORRIS ARCHITECTS

Digital photograph - Dedication stone Port Melbourne Mission 1930

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Digital photograph - Foundation Stone Port Melbourne Mission to Seamen 1888

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Historical information

The foundation stone of the Victorian Seamen's Institute, which is to be erected in Beach street, Port Melbourne, was laid on Wednesday afternoon by His Excellency the Governor, in the presence of Lady Loch, the Post master-General (Mr. F. T. Derham), Sir James MacBain, Colonel Sargood, and Mr. S. Fraser, M's.L.C., the Dean of Melbourne, the members of the local council, Mr. John Blyth, and a large concourse, of spectators. Captain Pasco then presented His Excellency with a silver trowel and a silver-mounted ivory mallet, whereupon the stone was lowered into position

Inscriptions & Markings

THIS MEMORIAL STONE WAS LAID BY HIS EXCELLENCY SIR HENRY B. LOCH C.C.M.C. K.C.B. GOVERNOR OF VICTORIA ON WEDNESDAY THE 5TH DAY OF SEPTEMBER A.D. 1888.

Digital photograph - Foundation stones Mission to Seamen 1907 and 1908

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph depicting the two foundation stones of the former Seamen's Institute located on Siddeley Street.

Historical information

The bottom stone was the foundation stone for the main building laid Tuesday 5 February 1907, and the middle stone was the foundation stone for the chapel, laid Tuesday 1 December 1908. The two stones were inserted on the wall of the current Mission building probably when the Siddeley Street institute was demolished. The stones are located in the courtyard on the wall of the former chaplain's office. next to the chapel.

Digital photograph - Foundation stone Mission to Seamen 1916

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Digital photograph - Foundation stone Mission to Seamen Chapel 1916

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph depicting the foundation stone laid by Lady Stanley in November 1916, in 2019.

Historical information

Born Margaret Evelyn Evans Gordon, she married Arthur Lyulph Stanley, 5th Baron of Alderley, in 1905. Appointed K.C.M.G. in 1914, Sir Arthur served as Governor of Victoria from 1914-20. Lady Stanley became the first President of the Australian Red Cross, Victoria, in 1914. The trowel (see item 2074) used for the laying of the stone was gifted to Lady Stanley and ended up in Toronto, Canada, where one of her daughters, Victoria was living. The trowel was donated to the Mission in 2019.

Significance

A picture of the stone can be seen on the article of the Leader dating from Saturday 25 November 1916, page 25.

Inscriptions & Markings

missing "Greater Glory of God ..is Stone was laid by The Honourable Lady Stanley November 14th 1916" Walter R. Butler F.R.I.B.A. Architect A.B. Robertson Builder

Reproduction of a painting - Blest Were The Wise Men by Daphne Allen

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Reproduction of a painting - Perpetual Succour

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Historical information

On the 4 August 1934, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Great Britain declaration of war on Germany, Captain Robert Sunter, commander of the coastal liner Manunda, from the Adelaide Steamship Company, planted a tree - number 100 - in memory of merchant seamen who lost their life during the war, in the main avenue leading to the Shrine of Remembrance.

Significance

Captain Robert Sunter , a friend of the seamen and the mission, died a month later in Cairns. A window was dedicated in his memory in the St Peter's Chapel in February 1936 by Padre Oliver. (see item 0038)

Photograph - Padre Oliver offering on ship

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph - King's College Theoligical

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph - Portrait of bridesmaid Moira Oliver

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Untitled

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Leaflet - A brief historical note

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Letter - The Victorian's Seamen Mission

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Poster - Special Lantern Services 1917

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Untitled

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands