Murtoa and District Historical Society and Museum
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the place now called Victoria, and all First Peoples living and working on this land. We celebrate the history and contemporary creativity of the world’s oldest living culture and pay respect to Elders — past, present and future.
Please be aware that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Some material may contain terms that reflect authors’ views, or those of the period in which the item was written or recorded but may not be considered appropriate today. These views are not necessarily the views of Victorian Collections.
Users of this site should be aware that in many areas of Australia, reproduction of the names and photographs of deceased people is restricted during a period of mourning. The length of this time varies and is determined by the community.
Reuse of any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander material on this site may require cultural clearances. Users are advised to contact the source organisation to discuss appropriate reuse.
Murtoa and District Historical Society and Museum
The story behind the coat is that it was created in the early 1920s by F.J.Ellimor,Brunswick furriers, at the request of Mr Walter Tepper. Walter Tepper lived on a property, "Woodlands" at Kewell, near Murtoa. He trapped the rabbits and took the pelts to Melbourne where he commissioned the furrier to make the coat for his soon to be fiancé, Ida. Walter Tepper is buried in the Murtoa cemetery. Walter's granddaughter Carol Michalicek's (nee Schultz) donated the coat to the Murtoa Museum.
It is significant as it is a fine example of the use of rabbit skins to create a fashionable coat. It remains in very good condition, 95 years since its creation. The coat has a link to the Tepper family who have resided in the district for over 100 years.
This dark brown rabbit fur coat is well tailored, with quality inner lining and a dark, even-dyed coat. There is so much detail in the design of the coat, including a gorgeous heart shaped pocket. It would have taken quite a few rabbits pelts to make the long full-length coat, as an average rabbit skin provides about 9 inch².
walter and ida tepper, rabbit skin coat, kewell
Bell brought from Longerenong Homestead by former boundary rider William McClintock. Given to John Hamilton and used on his farm to call the men to dinner. In 1922 it was used as a school bell when Higher Elementary School classes began in the Firebrigade Hall and in the Methodist & Presbyterian hall untill the Murtoa H.E.S. was built in 1925 and their own bell was purchased. The bell was donated by Miss Grace Hamilton.
The Bell is significant as it was originally the property of William McClintock - one of the original settlers to obtain land in Murtoa around 1872. Its significance is enhanced by its connection to the Hamilton family and its use on the farm and later its use in the temporary school setting.
Metal bell with wooden handle and metal clapper
william mcclintock, bell, murtoa higher elementary school, john hamilton
james hill taxidermy collection moved from kewell to murtoa (house) then to tower.
held under scientific licence
yellow bird black eyes - held under scientific licence. murtoa lions club (custodians).
murtoa, taxidermy, mutant canary, canary, james hill, natural history, flight, natimuk
Murtoa Concordia College 1897 I half year report certificate for student Bernhard Schultz. Results necessary to enter University of Melbourne. Murtoa Concordia was an elite school along with Scotch College (1851) Geelong Grammar (1857) Melbourne Grammar (1858) Geelong College (1851) Wesley College (18650 Xavier College 91875) Methodist Ladies College (1882) Presbyterian Ladies College (1875) Melbourne Girls Grammar (1893)
possibly the only report card from Murtoa Concordia College still in existence. Shows scope of subjects taught in 1897 curriculum
photocopy of white paper bordered in black with floral and fauna in corners
murtoa concordia college certificate for bernhard schultz I half year 1897 commercial & matriculation class
college, murtoa, matriculation, murtoa concordia college, report card, 1897
Holy Bible leather bound gold embossed German bible . On front cover various persons praying .Printed 1860's BOOSEY & CO.'S Fair condition . Old and New Testament
holy bible, leather bound, gold embossed, 1860 s printed, german bible, janetzke family bible, janetzke, 1881 1974, bilingual, printed u s a
Black and white photograph, computer printout in perspex frame. Image depicts Mrs Anne Maria and Mary Uhe at their home which is an original settlers weatherboard cottage with picket fence.
Under photograph "Mrs Anne Maria Uhe and daughter Mary at their home, 36 McDonald St, Murtoa"
Child's jumper made from old socks. Grey wool with some red and green stripes. Socks opened out and sewn together. Collar and cuffs made from sock tops. One small press-stud to open (at front of jumper). Excellent condition.
child, clothing, the depression, home made, socks, recycled socks, grey
Victorian Collections acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the traditional custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.