Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Villa Alba Museum Kew, Victoria

The Villa Alba Museum, overlooking the Yarra at Studley Park, is important to the state of Victoria for architectural, historic, social and aesthetic reasons. Its exceptional cultural significance is due to the unrivalled quality of the late Victorian hand painted decoration of its interiors.

The house and the original grounds of Villa Alba was originally placed in trust for Anna Maria McEvoy by her family on her marriage to William Greenlaw in 1862. Villa Alba houses one of the most important examples of late nineteenth century decoration in Australia. It is the work of Scottish- trained Paterson Brothers; dates from about 1883; and includes a great variety of painted, stencilled and gilded decoration.

Villa Alba has been owned and managed by the Villa Alba Museum Incorporated (VAMI) since 2004. This organisation evolved from the Villa Alba Preservation Committee (VAPC) established under the former City of Kew in 1984 as a result of community interest in the preservation of Villa Alba. Since then, buildings to the north and south of the house have been demolished, the site boundaries have changed, and the original Committee succeeded by the present incorporated body, Villa Alba Museum Inc.

Contact Information

location
PO Box 436 Kew Victoria 3101 (map)
phone
+61 (03) 9852 8886

Opening Hours

Villa Alba has regular open days on the first Sunday of the month from 1 pm to 4 pm.

Entry Fee

Adults: $10. Concession/Student: $8. Children under 18 years free.

Location

44 Walmer Street Kew Victoria

View on Google Maps

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

69 items

69 items

Photograph - Door Accessories, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Postcard - Roses, Dado Panel, Upper Hall, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Roses - No. 2 in a series of dado panels to the Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum, Kew.

Historical information

The Villa Alba Restoration Fund was established by the Villa Alba Preservation Committee. As part of a fundraising activity, they commissioned Suzie Dickson to photograph six panels in the Upper Hall that had been uncovered to date by conservators. The dado panels extend along the entire upper hall. Many are still to be restored.

Photograph - Dining Room, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Postcard - Daffodils, Dado Panel, Upper Hall, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Daffodils - No. 4 in a series of dado panels to the Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum, Kew.

Historical information

The Villa Alba Restoration Fund was established by the Villa Alba Preservation Committee. As part of a fundraising activity, they commissioned Suzie Dickson to photograph six panels in the Upper Hall that had been uncovered to date by conservators. The dado panels extend along the entire upper hall. Many are still to be restored.

Wallpapers - Various Designs (Wallpapers)

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Wallpaper sample reproductions drawn from 19th Century sources. Various designers including Willliam Morris and Talbot. Mixed patterns including: 1. Green, brown and yellow pattern with squirrels; 2. Blue and grey pattern with peacocks; 3. Two shades of green pattern; 4. Pink and brown patterns with birds and flowers; 5. Two shades of blue patterns with birds; 6. Pink and burgundy patterns, flowers and lions (flower has "SS" inscription); 7. Light green with cream floral design; 8. Dark orange with block pattern, birds, urns and flowers.

Historical information

The Villa Alba Museum is cultural institution committed to the collection, study and display of 19th century interior decorative finishes, and the components of 19th and 20th century interior decoration. The Museum's Decorative Arts & Design collection includes items that provide a local, statewide, national and international context for the development of interior decoration and design in Melbourne. These include artefacts (wallpapers, textiles, carpet samples), furnishings, printed materials (catalogues, books, periodicals), and pictures (photographs).

Postcard - Wildflowers, Dado Panel, Upper Hall, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Wildflowers - No. 3 in a series of dado panels to the Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum, Kew.

Historical information

The Villa Alba Restoration Fund was established by the Villa Alba Preservation Committee. As part of a fundraising activity, they commissioned Suzie Dickson to photograph six panels in the Upper Hall that had been uncovered to date by conservators. The dado panels extend along the entire upper hall. Many are still to be restored.

Photograph - Drawing Room, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Boudoir, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Dining Room, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Dining Room, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Principal Bedroom, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Boudoir, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Principal Bedroom, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Vestibule, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Entrance Hall, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Wallpaper - Fruit (Wallpaper)

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Reproduction of a William Morris 'Fruit' design. Green and gold colouring, depicting plants and fruit. Manufactured by Sanderson & Co. in the 1970s.

Historical information

The Villa Alba Museum is cultural institution committed to the collection, study and display of 19th century interior decorative finishes, and the components of 19th and 20th century interior decoration. The Museum's Decorative Arts & Design collection includes items that provide a local, statewide, national and international context for the development of interior decoration and design in Melbourne. These include artefacts (wallpapers, textiles, carpet samples), furnishings, printed materials (catalogues, books, periodicals), and pictures (photographs).

Photograph - Principal Bedroom, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph of Dining Room taken by Russell Winnell. - Dining Room, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Postcard - Jonquils, Dado Panel, Upper Hall, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Jonquils - No. 1 in a series of postcards of the dado panels to the Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum, Kew.

Historical information

The Villa Alba Restoration Fund was established by the Villa Alba Preservation Committee. As part of a fundraising activity, they commissioned Suzie Dickson to photograph six panels in the Upper Hall that had been uncovered to date by conservators. The dado panels extend along the entire upper hall. Many are still to be restored. These images were used to create a series of six large postcards.

Photograph - Dining Room, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Dining Room, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Main Bedroom, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Boudoir, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Auction Catalogue - Catalogue of Superb & Costly High Art Furniture, Gemmell Tuckett & Co., 1897

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

68 page catalogue, published in 1897 by Gemmell Tuckett & Co., advertising the contents of Villa Alba, Walmer Street Kew for sale on 22 and 23 March 1897. [The catalogue is in Adobe PDF format and 16.6 MB in size].

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Photograph - Entrance Hall, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Drawing Room, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Boudoir, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Boudoir, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - The Drawing Room at Villa Alba.

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Decoration of painted services is original to 1884.

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, Villa Alba is important to the state of Victoria for architectural, historic, social and aesthetic reasons. Its cultural significance results from the unrivalled quality of the late Victorian hand-painted decoration of its interiors. The Villa Alba Museum is committed to the collection, study and display of 19th century interior decorative finishes, and the components of 19th and 20th century interior decoration.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Door Accessories, Villa Alba

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.