Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Villa Alba Museum Kew, Victoria

The Villa Alba Museum, overlooking the Yarra at Studley Park, is important to the state of Victoria for architectural, historic, social and aesthetic reasons. Its exceptional cultural significance is due to the unrivalled quality of the late Victorian hand painted decoration of its interiors.

The house and the original grounds of Villa Alba was originally placed in trust for Anna Maria McEvoy by her family on her marriage to William Greenlaw in 1862. Villa Alba houses one of the most important examples of late nineteenth century decoration in Australia. It is the work of Scottish- trained Paterson Brothers; dates from about 1883; and includes a great variety of painted, stencilled and gilded decoration.

Villa Alba has been owned and managed by the Villa Alba Museum Incorporated (VAMI) since 2004. This organisation evolved from the Villa Alba Preservation Committee (VAPC) established under the former City of Kew in 1984 as a result of community interest in the preservation of Villa Alba. Since then, buildings to the north and south of the house have been demolished, the site boundaries have changed, and the original Committee succeeded by the present incorporated body, Villa Alba Museum Inc.

Contact Information

location
PO Box 436 Kew Victoria 3101 (map)
phone
+61 (03) 9852 8886

Contact

Opening Hours

Villa Alba has regular open days on the first Sunday of the month from 1 pm to 4 pm.

Entry Fee

Adults: $10. Concession/Student: $8. Children under 18 years free.

Location

44 Walmer Street Kew Victoria

View on Google Maps

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

63 items

63 items

Catalogue - Catalogue of Superb & Costly High Art Furniture, Gemmell Tuckett & Co., 1897

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

68 page catalogue, published in 1897 by Gemmell Tuckett & Co., advertising the contents of Villa Alba, Walmer Street Kew for sale on 22 and 23 March 1897. [The catalogue is in Adobe PDF format and 16.6 MB in size].

Postcard - Dado Panel, Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Peonies - No. 6 in a series of dado panels to the Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum, Kew.

Historical information

The Villa Alba Restoration Fund was established by the Villa Alba Preservation Committee. As part of a fundraising activity, they commissioned Suzie Dickson to photograph six panels in the Upper Hall that had been uncovered to date by conservators. The dado panels extend along the entire upper hall. Many are still to be restored.

Postcard - Dado Panel, Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Lilies - No. 5 in a series of dado panels to the Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum, Kew.

Historical information

The Villa Alba Restoration Fund was established by the Villa Alba Preservation Committee. As part of a fundraising activity, they commissioned Suzie Dickson to photograph six panels in the Upper Hall that had been uncovered to date by conservators. The dado panels extend along the entire upper hall. Many are still to be restored.

Postcard - Dado Panel, Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Daffodils - No. 4 in a series of dado panels to the Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum, Kew.

Historical information

The Villa Alba Restoration Fund was established by the Villa Alba Preservation Committee. As part of a fundraising activity, they commissioned Suzie Dickson to photograph six panels in the Upper Hall that had been uncovered to date by conservators. The dado panels extend along the entire upper hall. Many are still to be restored.

Postcard - Dado Panel, Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Wildflowers - No. 3 in a series of dado panels to the Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum, Kew.

Historical information

The Villa Alba Restoration Fund was established by the Villa Alba Preservation Committee. As part of a fundraising activity, they commissioned Suzie Dickson to photograph six panels in the Upper Hall that had been uncovered to date by conservators. The dado panels extend along the entire upper hall. Many are still to be restored.

Postcard - Dado Panel, Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Roses - No. 2 in a series of dado panels to the Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum, Kew.

Historical information

The Villa Alba Restoration Fund was established by the Villa Alba Preservation Committee. As part of a fundraising activity, they commissioned Suzie Dickson to photograph six panels in the Upper Hall that had been uncovered to date by conservators. The dado panels extend along the entire upper hall. Many are still to be restored.

Postcard - Dado Panel, Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Jonquils - No. 1 in a series of dado panels to the Upper Hall, Villa Alba Museum, Kew.

Historical information

The Villa Alba Restoration Fund was established by the Villa Alba Preservation Committee. As part of a fundraising activity, they commissioned Suzie Dickson to photograph six panels in the Upper Hall that had been uncovered to date by conservators. The dado panels extend along the entire upper hall. Many are still to be restored.

Photograph - Exterior, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Exterior, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Exterior, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Vestibule, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Vestibule, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Vestibule, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Vestibule, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Vestibule, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Main Bedroom, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Door Accessories, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Door Accessories, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Door Accessories, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Door Accessories, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Main Bedroom, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Main Bedroom, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Main Bedroom, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Main Bedroom, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Main Bedroom, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Boudoir, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Boudoir, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Boudoir, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Boudoir, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.

Photograph - Boudoir, Villa Alba Museum, 2011

Villa Alba Museum, Kew

Historical information

Built between 1882 and 1884 for the banker William Greenlaw and with interior decoration by the Paterson Brothers, a number of elements of the the interior design scheme reference Greenlaw’s Scottish origins. Following his death in 1895, from 1897 the house was leased and owned by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital before being sold to the Society of Jesus for Xavier College. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc., and the western section of the garden leased to Xavier College for 99 years.

Significance

The photograph is one of a series of views of the interior commissioned from the photographer Russell Winnell by the Board of Management of Villa Alba Museum in 2011.