Along with the pulpit, this Altar was designed by architect Rodney Howard Alsop (1881-1932) (Annual report 1908).
It was originally made for the Siddeley Street Institute, which was built in 1907 on a block of land leased from the Melbourne Harbour Trust and donated by Mrs Amelia Shuter (nee Lord) (see Annual Report 1907).
The altar is photographed in an early picture of the Siddeley Mission in a room used as chapel before the chapel built in 1909.
Although a 21 year lease for the site had been granted, a notice was delivered to the Mission to quit the site in 1912. In 1915, the present site was agreed on. The Altar sits within the Chapel of Saint Peter, which belongs to the State Heritage listed (H1496) Mission to Seafarers Victoria complex. This complex was designed by Walter Richmond Butler in 1916, and officially opened on 11 September 1917.
On the right hand side of the altar, is a brass plaque in memory of Charles Shuter, a colonist and police magistrate who died in 1902. The plaque was made in 1907.
The Altar is significant because it is located within the Memorial Chapel of Saint Peter, forming part of the State Heritage listed Mission to Seafarers Victoria complex. It is of religious significance in catering for all denominations and the spiritual needs of visiting seafarers.
The Altar has a shelf above and three panels along the front, with carved decoration and lettering.
Inscriptions & markings
Altar bears a plaque that reads "To the Glory of God - In memory of Charles Shuter, of Melbourne, Police Magistrate, Given by his Wife, December 13th 1907". Carved letters "MTS" in centre of three panels along front of Altar, and "HOLY, HOLY, HOLY" in three panels below shelf on top of Altar.
- charles shuter,
- siddeley street institute,
- australian timber,
- walter richmond butler,
- australian maritime history,
- rodney howard alsop (1881-1932),
- saint peter chapel,
- communion table,
- amelia shuter nee lord,
- heritage listed,