Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Baby's bonnet

From the Collection of Churchill Island Heritage Farm 246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

Description
Machine lace. Can display with calico cushion inside. Wash calico first. (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12)
See photos (2)
Size
19.5 cm bottom to crown; circumference at edge 33 cm; ribbons - purple 85 cm; white 107 cm
Object Registration
0032
Keywords
lace, churchill island, janet amess lace collection, baby, bonnet, amess, clothing
Historical information
The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are:
Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island.
Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane
Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell
Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.
Significance
The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.
Last updated
3 Mar 2017 at 10:11AM