Historical information

The window in this photograph was commissioned by the Sandringham Yacht Club in conjunction with a Masonic Lodge and work carried out by Gerry Cummins in 1980.

In the background is the S.S. 'Kanimbla' built 1935, Belfast for McIlwraith McEacham and was the last large passenger ship built specifically for Australian owners. Designed to carry 400 passengers , she plied her trade around the Southern and Eastern Ports of Australia. In WW2 she was an armed merchant cruiser and served in Indian waters and escorted the 1st convoy out of the Singapore after the Japanese invasion. She later operated in the Pacific after the war and after repatriation duties she was decommissioned and subsequently sold to be renamed 'Oriental Queen' which eventually caught fire and sank. . The small yacht in the foreground refers to the Sandringham YC.

Window measurements: 600mm x 900mm

Inscriptions & markings

Bottom left corner: Proposed Stained Glass Window, Mission to Seamen. (Scale: Full Size)
Right Left corner: Gerry Cummings