Historical information

This photo was taken at the opening of the footbridge over Back Creek by Sir Winston Dugan, Governor of Victoria, in 1936. He is cutting bunting draped along the bridge rails.
South Surrey Park was developed on land which had been the property of the Kleinert family. Their land extended from Union Road to Essex Road. They ran horses, ducks and fowls and Emily Kleinert grew flowers.
Alan Holt research: Lot 6 was sold to Martin Klienert by Karl Richter in 1860 together with a portion of another adjacent lot. From 1860-1885 Martin worked it as a market garden leasing some land for grazing when it was not required for gardening. He died in 1898. In a formal document, William declared he was the son of Martin "who purchased land in 1860, died in 1898 and the land has been continually occupied by father and family since. It has been cultivated as a market garden; when not being used for gardening it was let for cultivation and grazing." William died in 1939 and the property passed to his sons Martin and Ernest.
The family sold the land to the Camberwell Council in the 1950s.


This photo is significant as it documents the change from rural to urban land use in the area.

Physical description

Black and white photo taken at the opening of the footbridge across Back Creek in the area later known as South Surrey Park. Back Creek runs diagonally through the photo with a wooden footbridge prominent. Dignitaries are gathered on the bridge. A tent and houses can just be distinguished in the background.