Stories Organisations Projects About Login

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection North Bandiana, Vic

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection is staffed by volunteers from the Regimental Association and contains documents, photographs and objects relating to citizen soldiers from Northeast Victoria and date from the late nineteenth century through to the present day.

Contact Information

location
Milpo Bandiana Vic 3694
phone
+61 0400 212 831

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment only

Location

Building 129 Carlisle Drive North Bandiana Vic

Anthony 'AJ' Hunter 26 November 2017 9:22 PM

A fantastic start - I hope to see more of your collection in the future

Barry Hacker 6 December 2017 6:16 AM

I have been following your work with great interest. All 8/13 VMR Association volunteers are to be congratulated. Well done.

Leave a comment

733 items with images

733 items with images

Pamphlet - Troop leading in the Royal Armoured Corps

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Soft covered booklet being a Royal Armoured Corps Tactics training pamphlet Vol. 1 No.6 1955 issue. Troop leading in the Royal Armoured Corps

Historical information

British Army pamphlet used at the Armoured Centre Puckapunyal prior to the publication of Royal Australian Armoured Corps training material.

Significance

Example of armoured corps training methods in Australia prior to the development of specific Australian material.

Inscriptions & Markings

Two ink stamps "WOI RSM 8/13 VMR"

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Framed photograph of soldiers marching through Melbourne city street; crowds on both sides of street.

Historical information

The 2/8th Armoured Regiment was raised in June 1941 under the command of Lieutenant Colonel W G Hopkins with officers and men selected from the wider AIF in Victoria. The regiment trained in newly arrived M3 General Grant tanks at Puckapunyal before moving north to Singleton, then the Wee Waa plains. The regiment sailed for New Guinea in April 1943 and carried out mobile defence to airfields at Port Moresby, Milne Bay, Dobadura and Popondetta. The regiment returned to Australia in February 1944 and disbanded as an armoured regiment and retrained as Nos 41, 42 and 43 Landing Craft Companies. They returned to the South West Pacific serving at Bougainville, Balikpapan, Lae and Wewak.

Significance

Good study showing men of an armoured regiment from Victoria marching in Melbourne early in WWII (1939-45)

Inscriptions & Markings

Below photograph ""A Squadron 2/8th Armoured Regiment , Melbourne, 17th October 1941. Squadron Commander Major Jenkins. RSM Arch Martin"

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of 3 men on turret of a Centurion tank during 8/13 VMR Annual camp'

Historical information

8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles conducted Annual Camp at Puckapunyal 1969. The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Puckapunyal 1969. Major General Daley, Lt. Jim Horsley

Manual

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Buff coloured soft covered manual bound with heavy metal staples, 353 pages being Organisational Maintenance Manual Part Seven for Carrier Cargo Tracked 6 Ton M 548.Published by Headquarters Department of the Army ( USA ) February 1966.

Historical information

Tracked cargo carrier is part of M113 family of armoured vehicles used by 8/13 VMR in 1970s and 1990s. Technical manuals and User Handbooks were essential equipment for Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (RAEME) tradesmen permanently attached to Armoured Corps regiments as Light Aid Detachments (LAD) or Tech Support Troop (TST) and were responsible for repairs and maintenance of a nature beyond the expertise of AFV crewmen and just short of major rebuilds undertaken by Base Workshop detachments.

Significance

Part of a collection of workshop manuals and user handbooks relating to equipment on issue to 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles during the latter half of the twentieth century.

Inscriptions & Markings

Ink stamp on title page " 8/13 VMR Regimental collection " and ink notation on cover " Obsolete " and ink on spine " 21 "

Mug

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Silver plated mug with handle and inscribed on side

Historical information

The 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) was raised in 1920 as part of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, Citizen Military Forces, with Headquarters at Seymour and depots along the Goulburn Valley from Mansfield to Tocumwal in southern NSW. In December 1941, 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 20th Motor Regiment. In 1943 redesignated 20th Pioneer Battalion and deployed to Merauke, Dutch New Guinea. The regiment was disbanded at the end of the war, 1945. 20th Light horse was the only light horse unit to serve overseas in WWII.

Significance

This is one of a collection of mugs presented by Officers of a Light Horse Regiment drawn from rural and regional Victoria in the period between the World Wars.

Inscriptions & Markings

" 20th Australian Light Horse Officers Mess. Presented by Lieutenant S.W. Ross" and on base "Rigert EPNS A1 " 10 "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of Tallangatta - Wodonga Troop 8th Light Horse competing at Albury Show circa 1939

Historical information

The 8th Light Horse (Indi) Regiment superseded the 16th Light Horse in 1919. It had its headquarters at Benalla with sub-units throughout the Upper Murray and Northeast Victoria. In December 1941, the regiment converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 8th Reconnaissance Battalion then in July 1942 it became 8th Cavalry Regiment and served in Northern Territory. As Japanese threat to the mainland declined the regiment was disbanded.

Significance

Citizen soldiers of North East Victoria competing a community event.

Service Book

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Buff coloured booklet AMF Service book record. Male member AAB 83 Rev. August 1944 saddle-stitched and stapled relating to NX 112296 Captain William Rutledge.

Historical information

Captain William Robert Rutledge volunteered for the AIF 25 June 1917 as an 18 year-old farm labourer of Hay NSW. He served as No 6935 with 35th Battalion on Western Front; wounded in action April 1918; Returned to Australia March 1919. Possibly served in CMF between the wars otherwise his 2nd AIF rank is unusual. WWII service NX 112296 12 September 1942 – 4 October 1946, in 26 Work Company with rank of Captain.

Significance

Part of a collection of memorabilia acquired by a district soldier with service in 1st and 2nd AIF and in CMF between the wars.

Inscriptions & Markings

Captain William Rutledge Army No. NX 112296. Trade Qualification - Shearing Contractor. Schools and Courses. Quals from 20-1-1941 to 13-6-1942

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of four infantry soldiers resting prior to mounting Armoured personnel Carriers in background during Exercise " Fiery Cauldron " Puckapunyal 5 - 20 March 1988.

Historical information

In the period 5-20 March 1988, ‘A’ Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles participated in an exercise conducted at Puckapunyal by 4th Infantry Brigade (Reserve) codenamed ‘Fiery Cauldron’. Other units participating included 5th/6th Battalion and 8th/7th Battalion Royal Victorian Regiment, 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse Regiment and 1st Armoured Regiment. The training focussed on armoured/infantry cooperation, in particular the use of armoured personnel carriers.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of three Armoured vehicles open for inspection in town square. Vehicles are Ferret Scout Car, Saladin Armoured Car and Saracen Armoured Command Vehicle.

Historical information

In 1964 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was equipped with wheeled Armoured Vehicles. Driver training was undertaken by the Regiment during weekend training so as to have trained crewmen ready for tactical training at Annual exercise.

Significance

Collection of photographs showing an armoured regiment of the Citizen Forces in the 1960s as it transitioned from wheeled armoured vehicles to tanks to M113 armoured personal carriers.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Recruiting display, Dean Street Albury "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Framed colour photograph of Twentieth Light Horse ( VMR ) Regiment guidon. Red with gold fringe badge in centre. Purple over yellow colour patch with battle honours of the Twentieth Light Horse.

Inscriptions & Markings

Guidon of the Twentieth Light Horse ( VMR ) Regiment

Booklet

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Blue covered booklet " Infantry Training Volume 1 - Infantry Platoon Weapons Pamphlet No. 4A Sub-Machine Gun 9mm F1 " Australia " 1966

Significance

Representative of training material in 1960s

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of soldier in Light Horse uniform: slouch hat with plumes: tunic with collar badges" belt and bandolier" jodhpurs boots and leggings. Part of 20th Light Horse collection.

Historical information

The 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) was raised in 1920 as part of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, Citizen Military Forces, with Headquarters at Seymour and depots along the Goulburn Valley from Mansfield to Tocumwal in southern NSW. In December 1941, 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 20th Motor Regiment. In 1943 the Regiment was deployed to Merauke, Dutch New Guinea. Upon its return in April 1945, the Regiment was redesignated 20th Pioneer Battalion. It was disbanded following the end of the war. 20th Light Horse was the only light horse regiment to serve overseas in WWII.

Significance

This is one of a collection of photographs featuring a Light Horse regiment drawn from rural and regional Victoria in the period immediately prior to mobilisation for World War 2 (1939-1945).

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of General Grant tank in bush setting. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Grant training puckapunyal "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and White photograph of mounted escort to Sir Dallas Brooks moving through crowds in Melbourne street, 1949. Escort provided by 8/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Framed black and white photograph of large gathering of soldiers in uniform standing on steps of a Government House Melbourne. Frame is narrow wood painted gloss black. The group is the Officers of the 2nd Armoured Brigade, Royal Australian Armoured Corps (RAAC). Standing at front centre dress in dark suit is HRH Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh and to his right is Lieutenant Colonel Tom Fogarty, Commanding Officer of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles..

Historical information

This and another photograph (Catalogue 2591) was taken at a gathering of Officers and NCOs of the 2nd Armoured Brigade (RAAC) to meet Prince Philip in Melbourne during the Royal Visit 1954. The two photographs were framed and hung on the wall of the Headquarter Building at Buna Barracks Albury till 1991 when they were relocated to the Regimental Collection.

Significance

Rare record of an historic gathering during the Royal Visit to Victoria in1954.

Inscriptions & Markings

Signed at lower centre "Philip 1954"

trophy

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Tall silver plated cup with two handles and lid featuring a figurine of a rifleman in uniform of the Victorian era.

Historical information

H Company 1st Infantry Regiment, located at Albury NSW, was a unit of the New South Wales Colonial Forces. Following federation it was converted to artillery and became No 4 Battery Australian Field Artillery (Albury Battery). Colour-Sergeant George A Williams, a citizen soldier, conducted a painting and decorating business in Albury. Morris Blasbalk was a well established jeweller in Albury. This trophy was donated to 8/13 VMR Collection with other memorabilia of the Albury Battery AFA.

Significance

This trophy is representative of community support for a regional town's citizen soldiers and shows the high regard in which those soldiers were held.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Presented by M Blasback / H Coy (Albury) 1IR" and "Won by Col.Sergt GA Williams Club Shooting 1897-98"

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of group of soldiers of 8th Light Horse in shorts and shirts, some without shirts or hats.There are no plumes in hats indicating unit is transitioning from horses to Bren Gun Carriers, late 1941.

Historical information

8th Light Horse became 8th Reconaisance Regiment in December 1941 and was equipped with Bren Gun Carriers.

Significance

Shows transition from horses to mechanical role.

Inscriptions & Markings

" 8th Light Horse 1941.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of soldier mounted on horse. Part of 20th Light Horse collection.

Historical information

The 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) was raised in 1920 as part of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, Citizen Military Forces, with Headquarters at Seymour and depots along the Goulburn Valley from Mansfield to Tocumwal in southern NSW. In December 1941, 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 20th Motor Regiment. In 1943 the Regiment was deployed to Merauke, Dutch New Guinea. Upon its return in April 1945, the Regiment was redesignated 20th Pioneer Battalion. It was disbanded following the end of the war. 20th Light Horse was the only light horse regiment to serve overseas in WWII.

Significance

This is one of a collection of photographs featuring a Light Horse regiment drawn from rural and regional Victoria in the period immediately prior to mobilisation for World War 2 (1939-1945).

Inscriptions & Markings

" Warrant Officer V.G. Groutsch MM C Squadron 20th ALH. Served through ( out ) with Regt. to 20 Pnr Bn. until disbanded Captain on Discharge. "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of 3rd Cavalry Brigade Band - mountrd on pineboard

Inscriptions & Markings

3rd Cavalry Brigade Band

Uniform

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Service dress tunic, polyester summer, with yellow cord lanyard, officer badges of rank, 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles collar badges, silver Royal Australian Armoured Corps RAAC) buttons, and pilot qualification badge (wings). Neck decoration Knight Commander of British Empire (KBE) (Civilian list) (replica); ribbon bar denoting: Order of the British Empire (Civil), Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC), 39-45 Star, Europe and Germany Star, pacific Star, Defence Medal 1939-45, British War Medal 1939-45, Australian Service Medal 1939-45, Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal.

Historical information

This tunic was worn by Sir David Fairbairn KBE DFC when Honorary Colonel of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment 1981-83. Sir David served with 21st Light Horse prior to World War Two. During WWII he served with the Royal Australian Air Force flying Spitfires in Britain and Europe and later in the war, in the Pacific theatre. Following the war, he entered politics, holding the federal seat of Farrer from 1949-1975. He was Minister for Defence 1971-73. Sir David was Australian Ambassador to the Netherlands 1977-1980.

Significance

This object is well provenanced, complete and representative uniform worn by an honorary colonel of the 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment, a man who gave exemplary service as a serviceman, politician and diplomat.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of four soldiers of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles with a Ferret Scout Car and a M113 Light Reconnaissance Vehicle, circa 1975. Ferret most likely a heritage collection vehicle.

Historical information

8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles was equipped with M113 vehicles in 1970 - 1990. Ferret Scout ars went out of service circa 1967.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of two soldiers in khaki drill shirts and trousers, boots, web anklets, belt and berets. They are standing to attention with rifles and have bayonets on belts. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951

Historical information

Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.The 8th/13th

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Tprs. Singe, Leischke. "

Hat

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Side hat, red cloth with folds outlined with gold piping. Gilt Victorian Military Forces cap badge.

Historical information

Provenance of this particular hat not known, however "Heroes and Gentlemen" by Winty Calder contains a photograph of Lieutenant Leslie Maygar wearing this style of hat, also a photograph of a group of Victorian Mounted Rifles officers wearing these hats.

Merallion

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Death Medallion 0f 725 Driver William J. McIntosh, mounted on a wooden board 250 mm x 175 mm

Inscriptions & Markings

Notation on backing board reads 725 Driver William J. McIntosh 1st Light Horse Machine Gun Squadron. Born at Howlong near Albury. Enlisted at Sydney 20 November 1914. Served at Gallipoli, Egypt and Palestine. Died of Disease ( Malaria ) 18 October 1918

Death medallion for 854 Pte Harry Nutman Derrick 37th Battalion AIF

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Circular medallion 120mm dia x 4mm thick, bronze.

Historical information

Harry Derrick, a native of Tallangatta Valley NE Victoria, served with the 37th Australian Infantry Battalion, 10th Brigade, 3rd Division AIF. His regimental number was 854. He was wounded in action on three occasions. On the third occasion he was taken prisoner near the village of Clery on 30 August 1918. He died in a German military hospital on 12 November 1918, the day after the Armistice.

Significance

This medallion, coupled with the diary held in the collection, has added significance to North East Victoria and particularly the small township of Tallangatta.

Inscriptions & Markings

Figure of Britannia holding laurel wreath and standing with lion. Embossed around medallion the words "He died for freedom and honour". The name Harry Nutman Derrick enclosed in rectangular outline.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of section of four men of 8th Light Horse Regiment

Historical information

The 8th Light Horse (Indi) Regiment superseded the 16th Light Horse in 1919. It had its headquarters at Benalla with sub-units throughout the Upper Murray and Northeast Victoria. In December 1941, the regiment converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 8th Reconnaissance Battalion then in July 1942 it became 8th Cavalry Regiment and served in Northern Territory. As Japanese threat to the mainland declined the regiment was disbanded.

Significance

Part of a series showing aspects of camp life circa 1932

Inscriptions & Markings

Lower edge of mount " 8th Light Horse, Tom Wenham, Jack Dinning, Bill McDonald, Don Diffey "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white portrait of a Trooper of the 8th Light Horse drinking from a glass

Historical information

The 8th Light Horse (Indi) Regiment superseded the 16th Light Horse in 1919. It had its headquarters at Benalla with sub-units throughout the Upper Murray and Northeast Victoria. In December 1941, the regiment converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 8th Reconnaissance Battalion then in July 1942 it became 8th Cavalry Regiment and served in Northern Territory. As Japanese threat to the mainland declined the regiment was disbanded.

Significance

Shows slouch hat with plumes and 8th Light Horse badge

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of soldiers of Technical Support Troop, A Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles on parade at Buna Barracks Albury 1986.

Historical information

Technical Support Troop provided first line repair of squadron vehicles. The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Inscriptions & Markings

From left : Cpl Mitchell, Cfn Bell, Tpr French, Cfn Jennings, Cpl Ziebarth, Tpr Mulqueeney, W O !! Brndusic.

Booklet

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Buff coloured booklet " Small Arms Training Volume 1 Pamphlet No. 4 Bren LMG ( Provisional ) 1948" 88 pages, soft cover, stapled.

Historical information

Bren Light Machine gun replaced Lewis Gun as main Infantry section level LMG at commencement of WW11 and remained in service in Australian Army till 1960s.

Significance

Representative of British Army training manual in WW11

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of officer in peaked cap standing in a White Scout Car and saluting

Historical information

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was part of the 2nd Armoured Brigade in 1954. Lieutenant General Sir Horace Robertson was Commander of Southern Command.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Sir Horace Robertson inspects 2 Brigade, 1954 "