Alexandra Timber Tramway & Museum Alexandra, Victoria
This indoor and outdoor museum presents the technical, social, economic and ecological history of the timber industry in the Rubicon Forest from the period 1900-1950. This is shown through a working Timber Tramway, a display of logging technology, models of sawmills and associated buildings, photographic displays and a proposed working steam sawmill.
The Alexandra Timber Tramway incorporated as a not-for-profit association in December 1985. Our volunteers started with one operational locomotive, a short section of track, and the run-down station buildings at Alexandra. Since then, we have progressed to eight operational locomotives, one kilometre of track and a refurbished station building. Additional facilities include a locomotive depot, a carriage storage facility, a fully fitted-out mechanical workshop, and new toilet and picnic facilities. While there is much to see at the Alexandra Timber Tramway for the railway enthusiast, the ATT is primarily aimed at families and tour groups wanting a fun day out for themselves and their children. Everyone will find much of interest in our three display rooms and our numerous outdoor exhibits including replica timber workers huts from the Rubicon Valley.
Second Sunday of each month(steam train rides) 10:00am - 4:00pm. 4th Sunday of each month (diesel train rides) 10.00am - 4.00 pm. And most Public Holidays. Other times by appointment. Groups very welcome Phone 0427 509 988 for information.
Entry $5 includes one train ride. Children 3 and under FREE
17 Station Street Alexandra VictoriaView on Google Maps
This collection is located an old railway station, which now operates as the Alexander Timber Tramway and Museum. Key items include an impressive collection of 2 foot narrow gauge steam, diesel and petrol locomotives and assorted rolling stock (including industrial rolling stock), together with a large range of local and regional historical artefacts and machinery from the early logging period (1900-1950) in the Rubicon Forest. The collection reflect the forest’s long history of logging from1907, when Clark & Kidd built the first sawmill in the area and constructed a 3 foot 4½ inch (1029mm) gauge wooden-railed tramway out of the forest and down to the river flats below. In 1912, the Rubicon Lumber and Tramway Company completed a 2 foot (610mm) gauge steel-railed line connected the forest tramway with the railway station in Alexandra. This line operated with three small (6-tonne) Krauss 0-4-0WE locomotives. In 1935 ownership of the line transferred to the Shire and later acquired by Clark & Pearce, who operated it with a 10 tonne diesel locomotive from Kelly & Lewis of Springvale (and a second identical unit from 1936). The terrible bushfires of 1939 destroyed seven of the eight Rubicon forest sawmills and killed twelve men from the timber industry. Although the mills were rebuilt, transport by road was a more practical option and the line closed in 1947. The last of the Clark & Pearce sawmills closed in 1954.
The collection documents aspects of Victoria’s timber industry from 1900-1950, with a special focus on the narrow-gauge railway system supporting the industry. It also documents local history of the Alexandra district.
1 items with images
1 items with images
Framed black and white photograph - Rails to Rubicon circa 1916
Alexandra Timber Tramway & Museum, Alexandra
Wooden framed black and white photograph of a two foot gauge steel rail line from the mill sight to Alexandra. This locomotive, a Kraus, steam engine (year ?)is passing through Lower Rubicon. It hauls three carriages with timber and on the side of the rail there are open boxes. A wooden house on Gilmore's family property is halfway up the hill. The property shows signs of damage of the recent Goulburn River flooding in 1916. There is a hook in the top of the frame and writing on the bottom of the frame "Lower Rubicon 1916".
We have not statement of significance
Inscriptions & Markings
On bottom of the frame "Lower Rubicon 1916?" written with black texta colour pen in capital letters.