Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives melbourne, Victoria

The Alfred Hospital Nurses League Inc-Nursing Archives was developed through the compilation of nursing reminiscences, collection of items, documents, stories and research. The archives commenced in 1990. It is the only independent, self governing, not- for -profit, membership based nursing archives in Victoria. It comprises past and present nurses and their mission is to ensure that nursing heritage is valued, sustained, communicated and enriched through the preservation and conservation of the collection. We offer our members nurse reunion tours of the hospital and an annual reunion dinner.

Contact Information

location
Old Monash Medical School Building, Ground Floor, Alfred Hospital 55 Commercial Rd Melbourne 3004 (map)
phone
+61 0439 337 101 or office 03 9076 3540

Contact

Opening Hours

Monday and Wednesdays 10:00hrs- 16:00 hrs

Entry Fee

free

Location

Old Monash Medical School Building, Ground Floor Alfred Hospital 55 Commercial Road melbourne Victoria

View on Google Maps

Nursing Archives seeks to collect and preserve material that relates to and provides evidence for the education of nurses, nursing practice, the careers of Alfred nurses, their contribution to the community, the changing dynamics of the provision of health care on the development of nursing and the preparation of nurses at the Alfred Hospital since 1870.The types of items are record books of nurses training from 1880 ,photos, written and recorded memories, letters, pamphlets,speeches, invitations, nurse work books, diaries uniforms, medals both hospital and war and hospital equipment.

Significance

The Alfred Hospital Nurses League Nursing Archives is significant as it holds evidence of the high standard of nurse training since 1880. Evidence of nurse practice and changes over the decades in the hospital and the community. A source of information on social and cultural roles of women, their work and health care environments. The collection can offer research on the many themes we have identified. War nurses, prominent Alfred nurses, costumes, environments, nursing history and key clinical areas in the hospital.

Sonia Morris 7 February 2018 1:59 PM

I have no connection with the nursing profession, except as a patient but I found this collection fascinating.

Leave a comment

46 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (46) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

46 items

Trainee's pledge of service

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

Generic certificate of the pledge given by all Alfred Hospital nurse trainees at the completion of the preliminary training school

Inscriptions & Markings

Alfred Hospital Nurses league emblem, The Pledge, border surrounding pledge

Photo: Nurse Maria Birrell

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

A black and white photograph, showing nurse Maria Birrell circa 1882 dressed in her civilian clothes.

Historical information

Nurse Maria Birrell was one of the first nurses to graduate from the Alfred Hospital nurse training school in 1882. The first school commenced 1st December 1880.

Significance

The Alfred Hospital nurse training school was established and commenced 1st December 1880 and there are very few photographs of the early student nurses.

Perpetual calendar

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

A rectangular shaped perpetual calendar, pyramid shape top, on a small pedestal, made of oak timber. Four timber knobs on each side which turn the calico roll on which is printed month, date and day visable through three glass windows.

Historical information

This calendar was used in the old administration building in the c 1920's.

Significance

This item is of significance as it was used by the early hospital administrators. It is currently on display in Nursing Archives and used by the nursing archives team when the office is open.

Inscriptions & Markings

ALFRED HOSPITAL is stamped on the back of the item.

Hat. Australian Army Nursing Service 1942

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

This grey coloured hat made of felt was created in Australia for the Australian Army Nursing Service. It has a brown ribbon with a red trim around the hat.The hat was worn by an Alfred Hospital nurse who graduated in 1940. She served in Port Moresby.

Historical information

The Alfred Hospital trained nurse, who wore and owned this hat, served in Port Moresby during WW11. This hat was part of her uniform. She was in the 2nd/ 5th Australian General Hospital Unit and worked as a theatre sister.

Significance

This hat is significant because Australian nurses serving in the Australian Army Nursing Service all wore this same styie of uniform and it reminds us of their valuable service to their country.

Inscriptions & Markings

V.558 MADE IN 1943 AUSTRALIA size 6 3/4.

Nurse text Book-'Lectures for Nurses' - 'Lectures for Nurses'

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

A small, light blue,fabric covered book.

Historical information

The Alfred Hospital commenced a Preliminary Training School in 1933. From 1935, this textbook was a guide for many nurse teaching hospitals in Australia.

Significance

This book is significant as it efficiently assisted teaches and nurses. Before it was created, nurses took hand written notes at lecture periods or used roneoed doctors lectures.

Inscriptions & Markings

The book is titled ' Lectures for Nurses'. The book was written by G. N. Burbidge and printed in 1935.She was a tutor sister at Alfred Hospital. She has autographed the book.The book was presented to her in 1954 to Sister Headberry who was also a tutor sister.

Nursing children in the sunshine- Ward 15-1948 - Photograph

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

A photograph taken circa 1948, of two trainee 2nd year nurses, caring for children in the sunshine outside the Children's Ward 15.

Historical information

This photograph of two Alfred Hospital trainee nurses with children indicates how important it was to allow children in hospital some exposure to sunshine and fresh air.

Significance

The Children's Ward 15 at the Alfred Hospital was on the ground floor and opened in 1902, west of the Administration Block. The upper level was Ward 12, a women's Medical Ward. A feature of this wing is that it had verandahs and balconies on both sides, these being equipped with a special design of blind. Patients could benefit by the morning as well as the afternoon sunshine.

Inscriptions & Markings

The photograph is labeled Audrey K and Lorna M with four children on a cot in the sunshine outside Ward 15

Bandage winding machine on a stand

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

An open wooden frame supported by six small horizontal beams. At the top of the frame is a metal shaft and handle which holds a bandage. The frame is on a wooden stand.

Historical information

Circa 1905-1933.The bandage winding machine manually wound calico bandages for patient use. A sheet of calico was torn into strips of differing widths. The length was around 8 feet or 240 cm. The bandage was wound around the handle shaft by hand initially to get purchase. Then the handle was turned until the bandage was tightly wound. Each bandage could be reused, after it was washed, dried and rewound on the machine.

Significance

The bandage winding machine enabled a more effective use of a bandage on a patient, as the machine wound it more tightly than a hand rolled bandage thus allowing more effective bandaging.

Inscriptions & Markings

Under the wooden stand is written: Tutorial Dept. Alfred Hospital.

Registered Nurse red cape

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

This red woollen cape is wrist length, unlined, with a collar and worn by Alfred Hospital Registered Nurses until 1993.

Historical information

These capes were worn by Registered Nurses and were worn when going on duty, when going off duty, when called to see the Matron or a senior nurse but never worn on duty. They were made of light woollen fabric so some nurses lined their capes for added warmth. When new uniform rules were introduced 1993, the capes were not part of the uniform code.

Significance

These capes were the only means of warmth for nurses when in uniform. The strict rules of uniform meant no other visible clothing could be worn for warmth.

Inscriptions & Markings

Ball & Welch Ltd Melbourne

Work reference for Nurse Gwendoline Luly - letter

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

A work reference for Nurse Gwendoline Luly who graduated in 1922 from a prominent Alfred Hospital Surgeon Mr James Buchanan in 1929

Historical information

This work reference for Nurse Luly is an example of the value placed on highly skilled nurses, who trained at the Alfred Hospital in the 1920's..

Significance

A highly skilled surgical nurse is highly sought after. To receive a work reference from a prominent surgeon would ensure the nurse could have the type of surgical work she liked, to provide work satisfaction and allow her to travel if she chose.

Inscriptions & Markings

The Reference reads: 'Sister Gwen Luly was a Theatre Sister at the Alfred Hospital from May 1922 to February 1926. A fact that speaks for itself as to her surgical and nursing capabilities. She is without doubt one of the finest nurses we have ever had on our staff and I can most highly recommend her for any position requiring nursing and surgical skill of a high grade- James Buchanan'

Six Bricks saved: from Nurses Home 1922-1996

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

These six bricks were saved from the Alfred Hospital Nurses Home when it was being demolished in 1996. The nurses who saved the bricks had difficulty accessing the site and this effort is now appreciated by nurses who return for reunion tours of the hospital and reminiscense about the nurses home.

Historical information

These bricks evoke many memories of the nurse training days, prior to 1992, when nurses were encouraged to live on site at the nurses home.

Significance

These items are of significance because we have memories of the building so many of us called home during our nurse training.

Inscriptions & Markings

Brick a & b. City bricks Brick e - f Holded bricks

Booklet: 'Address to Nurses 1880' - ' Opening, Address to Nurses'

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

This small A 5 size booklet is one of many copies. It is made of paper and printed in black ink. It is titled 'Opening. Notes to Nurses, Rules for Nurses under Training' by John Blair M.D. F.R.C.S 1880'

Historical information

The Alfred Hospital was the first nurse training school for general nurses in Victoria. The first lecture was 1st December 1880 by Dr. John Blair. He created this booklet and included an examination.

Significance

This booklet if significant as it shows the preparation required to ensure quality nurse training from 1880 at the Alfred Hospital.

Copper Steam Kettle, extension and spout. - Listers spray

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

The steam kettle is made entirely of copper and is enclosed. It has an elongated straight extension, a fan shaped spout and a small opening for filling.

Historical information

Steam kettle together with a steam tent was used to maintain a constantly moist atmosphere. A steam tent is a tent enclosing the whole bed by means or sheets or curtains to allow the steam to enter. The kettle was heated over a gas or spirit stove as electricity was not connected to the wards until 1919.

Significance

Steam inhalations were used to relieve patients with respiratory disorders such as bronchitis, croup and laryngitis. Drug therapy could also be used by this route. It was an effective method of treatment prior to the introduction of modern therapy in hospitals such as humidifiers and nebulizers.

Inscriptions & Markings

none

Irving Urinary Receiver - Supra Pubic Urinary Drainage Cover/Receiver

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

Oval metal supra pubic receiver with two drainage outlets to enable urine to drain via an abdominal drain tube following a supra pubic cystoscopy and prostatectomy. This appliance was used to secure progressive healing and so keep the patient dry. It was held in place by a leather belt.

Historical information

The receiver/box was devised by Hamilton Irving an English general surgeon in 1907 as the supra pubic prostatectomy operation was being performed more frequently due to improvements in anesthetics and surgical techniques. Dissatisfaction with the results of the postoperative treatment as the dressings became saturated with urine which if left in contact with the skin it soon caused excoriation. This gave rise to the development of the apparatus with subsequent benefits to the patient.

Significance

The receiver was said to be easy to apply, comfortable to wear and effective in keeping the patient dry and able to move freely in bed. It was essential to keep the supra pubic wound dry to keep it from ulcerating. Also the receiver would aid in the collection of urine for measurement as part of post operative management.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front of appliance has 'RAMSAY' inscribed as well as 'Wd 3'.

Childrens Ward Alfred Hospital circa 1910 - photograph

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

A sepia photograph of the Childrens Ward at Alfred Hospital circa 1910. A sample of a light airy ward.

Historical information

The Children's Ward at Alfred Hospital called the 'Michaelis Ward' was opened in February 1902. A light airy ward. The Michaelis family were Alfred Hospital benefactors.

Significance

The photograph is of significance as it depicts a light airy ward.When cerebrospinal meningitis outbreak occurred in military camps in 1915 the childrens ward was used for extra and extensive care.

Feeding Cup

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

Feeding cup, white, virtrified material (china), blue badge on top VHA, open top, squat, round, one handle and one spout

Historical information

This item was used in hospitals during the 1950's to assist feeding old and frail patients, unable to feed themselves or to sit up in bed. The spout prevented spillage of such liquids and beef tea, cocoa & warm milk. This item was used in the 1950's and has now been replaced by plastic cuos with lid and small spout. The stamp on the top of the cup is Victorian Hospital Association. This was the major supplier of all medical and food items to public hospitals in the 1950's.

Inscriptions & Markings

On under side in blue ink "STEELITE /GLOBE POTTERY Co Ltd /ENGLAND SUPPLIED BY/ J. DYSON & SON MELBOURNE"

Nurse Annie Rentle medal - Nurse Annie Rentle medal

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

This small round medal has been inscribed with the name of nurse Annie Rentle to whom it was awarded.

Historical information

This medal was presented to nurse Rentle in appreciation and recognition of the extraordinary effort she achieved by her courage to rescue patients during a fire which destroyed Wards 4 and 6 at the Alfred Hospital on Boxing Day in 1888. All patients survived. Nurse Annie Rentle graduated in 1890

Significance

This medal is significant as it is evidence of the appreciation by the hospital by the heroic efforts of the student nurse to ensure the safety of patients during this fire.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front of medal has a Maltese Cross with 'Alfred Hospital' underneath. Latin wording around the cross. "Ubi Non Esti Mulier Ibi Ingemiscit Aeger" Meaning: 'Where there is not a women, there the sick man groaneth '. The obverse reads: 'Presented to Nurse Rentle for assistance rendered at fire Dec. 26th 1888.' Unfortunately, her name on the medal reads as ' Renile.'

commemorative medallion - H.M.S Galatea commemorative medallion

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

A round,metal coloured medallion . Inscribed on both sides. The obverse shows a profile bust with edge detail. The reverse features HMS Galatea under sail.Commerating the visit to Australia by HRH Prince Alfred , Duke of Edinburgh in 1867.

Historical information

This medallion was presented to Punt Road State School pupils who attended the Alfred Hospital Foundation Stone Ceremony 6th March 1869 by HRH Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh.

Significance

This item is of historical significance because HRH Prince Alfred Duke of Edinburgh laid the Alfred Hospital Foundation Stone. The Alfred Hospital is the first Melbourne public hospital on its original site.

Inscriptions & Markings

The medal on the obverse side shows a profile bust of the Duke of Edinburgh. Inscribed around the bust is H.R.H.Duke of Edinburgh. Floral decoration around the medal edge. The reverse side had a sailing ship. The ship is HMS Galatea. Around the edge : THE COMMEMORATIVE THE VISIT OF HRH PRINCE ALFRED, DUKE PF EDINBURGH K.G.

DVD-'Nineteen Nurses' - Nineteen Nurses

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

Rectangular plastic DVD box with DVD included.The DVD which runs for 1 hour has interviews,film and photos detailing the service of 19 AH nurses in Bien Hoa during the Vietnam War in the 1960s. Yellow colouring on cover with photgraph of two Alfred Hospital Nurses with Vietnamese children.

Historical information

This DVD, years in the making, tells the story of nineteen nurses from The Alfred Hospital who bravely volunteered to work in the heat and the turmoil of the Vietnam War. The Bien Hoa Provincal Hospital was in a very active military zone and the nurses quickly discovered how unprepared they were for what lay ahead.

Significance

This is an unique record in words and pictures of Alfred Hospital Trained civilian nurses volunteering in a significant war, The Vietnam War

Inscriptions & Markings

The cover of the DVD has the inscription "Nineteen Nurses The Story of Alfred Hospital Nurses in Wartime Vietnam" The back side of the DVD box has a synopsis of the nurses time in Vietnam and quotes from 2 AH nurses.Produced by Educational Resource Centre of The Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne for the Alfred Hospital Nurses League.

photo: Matron Haldane Turriff

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

Small, original sepia photograph, showing Haldane Turriff standing in uniform, circa 1871.There is an inscription on reverse side of photograph

Historical information

Haldane Turriff was the first Matron of the Alfred Hospital from 1871-1880. She was one of five nurses selected by Florence Nightingale to be sent out to Sydney with Lucy Osburn in 1868. She was one of two nurses selected by Lucy Osburn to nurse Prince Alfred , Duke of Edinburgh following a failed assassination attempt that occurred in March 1868.

Significance

Haldane Turriff , as the first Matron of the Alfred Hospital, was the link between the Nightingale School at St Thomas Hospital, London and the Alfred Hospital. Although she did not establish a training school at the Alfred Hospital in the Nightingale tradition, she laid the foundation for an excellent standard of nursing that has continued today.

Inscriptions & Markings

On the reverse side of the photograph there is printed the name and address of the photography gallery ie London portrait gallery, 19 Royal Arcade, near the fountain, Melbourne. The inscription[ in handwriting] states 'Miss Turiff [sic] Turriff, matron Alfred Hospital nursed Duke of Edinburgh after attempted assassination.

Syringe and Needle Kit for Visiting Nurses circa 1900.

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

Silver coloured metal flip up case containing a glass and metal syringe. A small glass vial containing 6 hypodermic needles. A further 6 vials with cork stoppers containing analgesic tablets to be dissolved in sterile water prior to administration. There are 2 perished rubber washers used in the syringe and a wire stilette for needle cleaning.

Historical information

Used by visiting trained nurses from The Alfred Hospital to administer medication in the patients home. The Alfred could provide these trained nurses as the Alfred began training nurses from 1880. The first training school in Victoria.

Significance

This rare item belonged to the sixth Matron of The Alfred 1912-1928, a beloved and eminent nurse of The Alfred Hospital

Inscriptions & Markings

On the base of the syringe and needle kit - Parke, Davis & Co. Pat Aug 1885. Markings on the vials: No 2 Apomorphine Hydrochlorate 1-10Gr No 3 Atropine Sulphate 1-50 Gr. No 5 Cocaine Hydrochlorate 1-4 Gr No 13 Morphine sulphatw 1-4 Gr No 16 Morphine sulphate 1-4 Gr & Atropine sulphate 1-150 Gr No 72 Strychnine Nitrate 1-4Gr Hypodermic Needles X 6

Nurse Graduation Certificate

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

Nurse Graduation Certificate 1888, Alfred Hospital. Hard cover, brown leather with gold lettering title and decorative border on the front cover. When folded open there is a print of Alfred Hospital on the upper half and a certificate on the lower half.

Historical information

The cerificate was given to nurses when they graduated from nurse training. This certificate is one of few at Alfred Hospital Nursing Archives. Maria Birrell one of the first graduates in 1882

Significance

The first nurse graduation certificate was given to Alfred Nurses in 1882. The School of nursing commenced at Alfred Hospital in 1880. It is the first general nurse training school in Victoria.

Inscriptions & Markings

The cover has gold lettering, NURSES' CERTIFICATE ALFRED HOSPITAL and a gold decorative border. Inside is a print of Alfred Hospital circa 1871 and the black ink cerificate signed by the President , two examiners and the nurse 31st July 1888

Nurse Laundry case

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

This brown, pressed cardboard laundry case, no handle, and catches at both ends,with protective covers on each corner of the case and lid, was used for soiled nurse uniforms and taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital Linen Service. The cases were returned to the nurse with laundered uniforms, Each nurse was allocated her own numbered case.This service commenced c 1953 until April 1992.Nurses then supplied and laundered their own uniform and the hospital laundry contact moved to Warrigal Linen Service.

Historical information

All nursing staff during this period had their uniforms laundered in this way. Uniforms suppied by Alfred Hospital to nurses were conpulsory.

Significance

The significance of the laundry case shows how times have changed for nursing staff in that uniforms, if worn, are laundered by the staff themselves.

Inscriptions & Markings

Sticker stating Royal Melbourne Hospital Central Linen Service and on outside number of box E 171 for identification purposes.

Nurse Graduation photo 1952 - photograph

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

A newspaper photograph and a short article congratulating the nurses who have recently graduated in nursing during a power black out.

Historical information

This is a photo of some nurses who graduated in 1962. It became a story for the newspapers as the nurses needed to view their certificates by using a lamp during a power blackout in the St Kilda Road area.

Significance

Florence Nightingale required the use of a lamp to nurse her patients in mid 1850's . These new graduates required a lamp to view their graduation certificates in 1952

Inscriptions & Markings

The article describes the nurses graduation which was held during a power blackout. They required the use of a lamp to see their graduation certificates.

Anniversary Banner

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

This plasticised poster with original preliminary Training School photos, congratulation notice and drawings was created for the group celebrating 50 years since they commenced nursing in 1963.

Historical information

This banner was initiated by a nurse in preparation for the 50 year reunion of her nurse training group in 2013. They commenced nursing in 1963 and graduated in 1966. The banner was brought to a venue in Kooyong in March 2013 where they met for a reunion dinner.

Significance

This banner is significant to nurses who commenced training in 1963 and graduated in March 1966 as it reminds the nurses of their training days 50 years ago and their ongoing camaradarie and friendship.

Operating Theatre Alfred Hospital circa 1907 - Photograph

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

This is a rare photo of the operating theatre circa 1907 at the Alfred Hospital.

Historical information

Sister Gertrude Lawson graduated 1887, is pictured in the operating theatre circa 1907 but she probably did not play an active role. At this time the surgeons were assisted by a male attendant. In 1899 Matron Laura Pratt wrote, " There were 3 main operating days, the surgeons being Mr Henry O'Hara, Mr Cook and Mr Buchanan. There was one theatre sister whose duties were to prepare the theatre and attend all operations, buy and keep instruments in repair, prepare all types of sutures. She was on duty 24 hours for emergencies with a trained deputy on call from the ward in her absence. This system was altered about 1909 when each nurse at the end of her second year was given a month in the theatre"

Significance

A rare photo of the Alfred Hospital operating theatre circa 1907. No antiseptic measures were taken in surgical work apart for instruments being boiled in water and soda. Rubber gloves were not introduced until 1908.

Inscriptions & Markings

The notice on the wall reads: "The floor being reserved for the hospital staff. Visitors are requested to take seats in the gallery."

Photograph-pupil nurses invalid cookery class 1907 - Invalid cookery class 1907

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

A staged black and white photograph of eleven pupil nurses in an invalid cookery class in 1907. They are holding cooking equipment and implements in readiness for the practical lesson.

Historical information

Theoretical and practical lessons in invalid cookery commenced in 1902 for third year pupil nurses. From 1903 it was part of second year training and then it was part of first year training.later an invalid cookery qualification was a prerequisite for the entry to a nurse training course.

Significance

It is an important requirement that patients get adequate nourishment which is appropriate for their medical condition, other wise their recovery can be slow or negligible. It was not until 1930 that a dietician was appointed to manage the dietary needs of patients and to set up a dietary department. Therefore it was necessary prior to this that nurses have knowledge of the different classes of food and their value to the well being of patients and to be able to prepare basic recipes.

The evolution of Alfred Hospital crests 1895-1936 - crest

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

This crest and motto was used at the Alfred Hospital between 1895 and 1936. But, the motto was introduced in 1880 when the hospital introduced a nurse training program.

Historical information

This crest and motto was designed at the Alfred Hospital in 1895 and used until 1936.It featured a red pattee cross set above a motto which was introduced when the Alfred Hospital began nurse training in 1880.

Significance

The motto is significant to the Alfred Hospital Nurses League Inc. established 18th October 1918. There was no hospital badge for nurses on graduation from the Alfred Hospital, so the Alfred Hospital Nurses League Inc. had a badge designed with the hospital crest and motto which the League presented to Alfred Hospital nurses graduating from 1920 onwards.Reference: Alfred Hospital Nurses League minute books, 1919-1920.

Inscriptions & Markings

A crest was designed consisting of a red pattee cross set above the words ," Where there is not a woman, there the sick man groaneth"

Statue representing Florence Nightingale

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

A plaster of paris staturette of Dame Edith Evans who portrayed Florence Nightingale in the film 'The Lady with the lamp' in 1929. The figure is clothed in full length black dress, a cross around her neck and a cap on her head. Hands clasped at the waist.

Historical information

The film 'The lady with the lamp' 1929 was portrayed by Dame Edith Evans. This was made in the image of Dame Evans.

Significance

This statue is a representation of Florence Nightingale and is a reminder to nurses that Miss Nightingale was a remarkable women and founder of the Nightingale Training School in London and established nurse training in Australia.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front of base: Florence Nightingale. Under surface of base-paper pasted on-'A much loved gift given to the Alfred Hospital archives on 27.10.2004 by Bade [ Beatrice B. Evans nee Caldecott]

Tennis courts at Alfred Hospital 1933 - photograph 1933

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

The first grass tennis courts were built in 1923 between the Edward Wilson Wing[ Wards 3 & 5] and the nurses home, close to Commercial Road. This photograph was taken in 1933. In 1943 the Margaret Coles Maternity Wing opened on this site. The tennis courts were relocated to the other side of the walkway until 1993 when the multi story car park occupied the site.

Historical information

This is a photograph of the first grass tennis courts at the Alfred Hospital. They were built in 1923. The photo was taken in 1933.Many social tennis matches were held during the 70 years they were on the Alfred Hospital site.

Significance

The tennis courts were being considered in 1900. They were not established until 1923 and there are many photographs and stories to justify how extensively they were used. They were relocated in 1943 and used until a multi story car park was built on the site in 1993.

Inscriptions & Markings

The photo is from a donation album which contains other photographs of the tennis courts.

Small sterilizer-portable instrument & syringe sterilizer

Alfred Hospital Nurses League-Nursing Archives, melbourne

The sterilizer is made of stainless steel and constructed like a fish kettle with a perforated tray on which instruments and syringes were placed. Hot water is heated to boiling point either by gas or by methylated spirit burners.

Historical information

Louis Pasteur, a French scientist in 1863, identified that microscopic living creatures caused fermentation and putrefaction.Following this he boiled the fermenting substances which killed the microbes development. Robert Koch, a German doctor proved conclusively in his experiments that the living creatures that he called bacteria caused infections. He demonstrated that live steam was superior to chemicals in killing bacteria. Curt Schimmelbusch, a German scientist and Felix Terrier a French scientist, almost simultaneously created the practice of steam sterilization which became the standard for sterilization in Operating Theatres world wide.

Significance

Wound infection was a major cause of death following surgery. The discovery of steam as a method of killing microorganisms led to the development of sterilizers. The steam sterilization of instruments, syringes and the use of chemicals for some objects used in surgery helped reduce the infection rate.