Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed with Heritage Victoria and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
1 Samuel Amess Drive NEWHAVEN VIC 3925 (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214

Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

1 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

330 items with images

close
Show All Items Items with Images (330) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents (3)
View As Grid List

330 items with images

Swingle trees

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Two horse swingle trees hinged either end of one long swingle tree. Unpainted timber, metal fittings

Box spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Box spanner for wire wheels; tapered handle, hanging loop other end to spanner. surface rust

Inscriptions & Markings

Wire Wheel Corp of America Buffalo NY B4-1005/H4.B4.CB4.CB4 5 A

length of lace trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

machine made undulating floral design on net ground

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

Horse drawn scarifier

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Twelve blade, 5-6 horse scarifier, green, surface rust, yellow wheels and brake

spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Cast iron. Thick. Drill mark on handle and various strike marks.

Inscriptions & Markings

"7/8"

French Buttons

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand made French crochet buttons on original card (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Bag lifter

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

metal, surface rust, 2 arms with semi-circle lift at one end

Fern hook

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

fern hook with surface rust, but made from good steel. No handle.

Inscriptions & Markings

"PARKER CAST" image of feet in first ballet position, with No 6 under left foot. "1281"

lace trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

machine made, floral pattern, possibly warratahs?

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Ames... read more

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women.

Lace Trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine Lace (Lace Group Embrioderers' Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Package with note "LIMERICK LACE TRIMMINGS"

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand crochet (lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Horse drawn sled

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Fourteen unpainted boards, metal ends; swingle trace on galvanised chain

base glass bottle

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

broken base of black glass bottle, heavy glass.

Historical information

Possibly found on one of the several 'tip sites' on Churchill Island

Winnower

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand operated winnower with handle and hopper unpainted

lace trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

machine made lace trim with both edges similar, v shape design and 8 braid geometric design in centre

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by three generations of Amess women - Jane, Janet and Unity (Bright - donor). Jane was wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island.

pair ladies gloves

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

One pair dark brown rabbit skin (?) gloves. Scalloped, overlocked edge. Three "S" shaped stitching decorations with small punched holes along thumb side of stitching on each glove

Historical information

Belonged to Churchill Island Heritage Farm volunteer Jeff Cole's Aunt May Hart, a very stylish woman of the 1920s, keen on horse racing.

Inscriptions & Markings

CAPE LAMB (?)/ MURRAY GLOVES/6 1/2/ MADE IN AUSTRALIA stamped inside left glove. $15 hand written inside left glove. "721" stamped inside left glove. "20"stamped inside right glove.

Neck piece with front ruffle attached

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine embroidery (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Comet Windmill

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Windmill on metal stand "COMET" painted on silver vane. Restored in 1980s.

Historical information

Comet Windmills was founded in Rockhampton, Queensland in 1879 by Sidney Williams. The Comet became known as "Australia's Leading Mill". The company survived two world wars and three generations of the family and was sold in 1992 and terminated in 1998.

Significance

Probably the oldest working mill of its model in Gippsland

Level

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Paint spots and wear at grooves. Wood, glass bubbles, brass cover over bubble. Round maker's seal missing.

lace trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Irish crochet handmade lace trim, ivory

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine made lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

mallet

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Rough sawn replacement handle. Block has 2 rivets right through block on either side of handle. Chunk out of block on one side.

Thread cutter

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Thread cutter with two handles. Adjusting screw inside jaw

Inscriptions & Markings

"V" punched in. Die: "7/16 V"

Iron wheel

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Unpainted iron whell designed for heavy loads

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Sulky wheel right

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Pair of matching black sulky wheels with red hubs

camp oven

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

3 legged round camp oven with lid and 2 side handles. Pitted with rust.

Historical information

Purchased at clearing sale

flat box spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

flat box spanner, surface rust

Inscriptions & Markings

JENBRO

tape measure case

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Leather and brass circular case. No measuring tape inside. Stitched case.

Inscriptions & Markings

JOHN RABONE & SONS BIRMINGHAM ENGLAND. "Cemetary" scratched on back.

spoon drill bits X 2

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

For use with woods that splinter. Paint spots. For use in auger.

Inscriptions & Markings

14.5 cm long: NEUMANS GERMANY

Furphy Water Cart

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Furphy water cart, unpainted with traces of red on embossed end

Historical information

Furphy carts were an important item in Australian agriculture, leading to the addition of the word "furphy" a misleading rumour (originally as spread from gossip around the water cart).

Inscriptions & Markings

On side of tank in black paint "CHRURCILL ISLAND" Embossed on end: Furphy water cart; makers Furphy & Sons, Shepparton and other inscriptions.

lace pieces X 2

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Two triangles of lace cut from a larger piece, machine made, floral and leaf decoration

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

Paling/shingle cutting blade

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

well used blacksmith made. No handle

Diary

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Small black diary "Daimler" 1955? Appears to include camera settings for photos including bridge.

Historical information

Notebook containing camera settings of pictures including the bridge.

Hand Shears

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Spring double handled hand shears for shearing sheep.

Inscriptions & Markings

"HIND'S PATENT DOUBLE HOLLOW GROUND BURGAN AND BALL PATENT NO. 294 (inside a shield with a crown on top) MADE IN ENGLAND"

3D Viewer

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

wood and glass viewer to give three dimensional image from two identical photos placed in slot at other end to eye pieces

Historical information

May have been used by Amess or Jenkins families?

twist drill bits X 8

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

A variety of sized drill bits, surface rust.

Single furrow mould board plough

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Single furrow triangular mould board plough painted green

Lace Fragment

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine net for embroidering on (lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis. Keywords janet amess lace collection; lace; churchill island Statement of Significance

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

cattle ear punch

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Steel. Two handled. Return spring missing. Apple shaped punch

Paper document report - BORDESAN

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Paper document report, carbon copy, foolscap, on 'Bordesan', a colloidal suspension of a highly fungicial copper preparation, written by J.D. Riedal-E. de Haen A.G., Chemical Works, Berlin-Britz, Germany, and a memo from S.W. Peterson & Co. Ltd, Sydney Office to Mr. Sutcliffe, Melbourne. 15 pages

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

The document demonstrates farming and fungicide methods of the era.

Inscriptions & Markings

Bordesan, J.D. Riedel-E. de Haen A.G., Churchill Island, S.W. Peterson & Co Ltd

Scythe

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Cast steel blade. Hole on back and of blade for hanging. Steamed handle (may not be original). Complex pipe/nut washer and five metal shims keeping blade on handle.

Historical information

Donated by Wilfred Dungan on behalf of the Dungan family Collection originally used on the property of the late Dr Rae Dungan in Falls Creek Rd Olinda, purchased in the late 1930s from Olinda pioneers Harry and Minnie Holden. Also on the property of late May Farndon of Farndon’s and Falls Rd Mt Dandenong – aunt of Dr Rae William Dungan and also an early pioneer. Family holidays and weekends involved use of these sorts of farm implements plus working with horses. Post-war, the Olinda hand tools and machinery moved to the Shady Creek, Nilma North area where bush, pasture and cows had replaced the Olinda property. Wilfred well remembers being on one end of the crosscut saws cutting fence posts, logs and timber under “the tireless and vocal instruction” of a red headed local Darnum Rd legend called Harry Collyer. “He drove an old Rugby car and nearly pulled me through the logs with every cut!”

Inscriptions & Markings

From tip: BEST CROWN NATYZACKS STELLAR GR?AS (S) SHEFIELD. Near handle: image of figure on horse.

Iron bound wooden mallet

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Round wooden handle. Large head with metal band at each end. Some paint stains.

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine made pretending to be Valenciennes (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

lace piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

length of lace, machine made, geometric design with two selvidged edges, repeat motif of ovals surrounded by crosses.

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

Swingle tree and jinker pole

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Black pole, double black swingle trees; from Jinker?

Potato digger

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Single row potato digger with upward prongs on digger and depth adjuster at rear. Green/blue with red wheels

Significance

Unusual piece

camp oven

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

oval shaped camp oven with swinging handle on body. Lid with D handle on top. Lip handle on one side of rim. Surface rust. Corrosion on edge of lid.

Historical information

Purchased at clearing sale

Inscriptions & Markings

CLARKE AND CO. With name there is a diamond cartouche with a tower and drawbridge and flag on top, "I" and "J" either side of tower. 4G under (four gallons)

lace collar

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Maltese bobbin (NGV) Bedfordshire Cluny style hand made plaited lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Camisole

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine lace insertions; silk embroidery (NGV) silk net, machine embroidery (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (5)Packaged with note; "hand embroidered cotton camisole c 1870"

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.