Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed with Heritage Victoria and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven VIC 3925 (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214; 03 5951 2800

Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

330 items with images

330 items with images

Wool press

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

All metal wool press, black

Pick, Miner's

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Short top end of head. Commercially made/ Well worn. Handle repaired1) automotive wire 2) electrical tape repair. Painted red, end split.

Iron wheel

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Painted white, iron whell, possibly from seeder; some surface rust

Thread cutter

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Thread cutter with two handles. Adjusting screw inside jaw

Inscriptions & Markings

"V" punched in. Die: "7/16 V"

Centre bits X 2

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

For making dowel joints for furniture. Paint spots and surface rust

Potato digger

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Single row potato digger with upward prongs on digger and depth adjuster at rear. Green/blue with red wheels

Significance

Unusual piece

Grain hopper/grinder

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Yellow wooden hopper on black grinder with blue parts mounted on green stand. Attached by belt drive to Sundial engine

Mallet

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

No handle, oblong handle slot unused.

Tin snips

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Straight blades. Damaged end of one handle. Surface rust.

Pole and swingle tree

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Unpainted timber pole; single metal swingle tree, surface rust

LACE TRIM

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lenth of lace trim with scalloped edge and straight selvedge edge, floral design on net ground. Machine made

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

wedge

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

one of three wedges cut from the same piece of steel. No relief grooves

Historical information

Use in conjunction with other wood splitting/cutting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan

cross cut saw

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Two handled cross cut saw. One manufactured handle and one bush replacement wedged with three inch nail. 6 broken teeth. Rivets for handle broken off at home-made end. M shaped tooth profile.

Historical information

Donated by Wilfred Dungan on behalf of the Dungan family Collection originally used on the property of the late Dr Rae Dungan in Falls Creek Rd Olinda, purchased in the late 1930s from Olinda pioneers Harry and Minnie Holden. Also on the property of late May Farndon of Farndon’s and Falls Rd Mt Dandenong – aunt of Dr Rae William Dungan and also an early pioneer. Family holidays and weekends involved use of these sorts of farm implements plus working with horses. Post-war, the Olinda hand tools and machinery moved to the Shady Creek, Nilma North area where bush, pasture and cows had replaced the Olinda property. Wilfred well remembers being on one end of the crosscut saws cutting fence posts, logs and timber under “the tireless and vocal instruction” of a red headed local Darnum Rd legend called Harry Collyer. “He drove an old Rugby car and nearly pulled me through the logs with every cut!”

Bag lifter

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

metal, surface rust, 2 arms with semi-circle lift at one end

drainage pipe

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Section of terracotta pipe broken at both ends.

Historical information

Found on Churchill Island. Possibly used for dairy drainage?

Neck piece with front ruffle attached

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine embroidery (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Scoop

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Mud scoop

Historical information

Recovered from San Remo property.

Inscriptions & Markings

Gaston

Paper Map

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand drawn map in pencil on paper of situation and measurements of land contained in Vendor's Title. Attached to solicitor's letter catalogue item No. 0108.1

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

This document is an example of a hand drawn map of the era, measured in links.

Inscriptions & Markings

[signed] Hen B [bottom right hand corner]

Cigar holder

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Silver holder for 4 cigars awarded to Dr Harry Jenkins, owner of Churchill Island 1936-63.

Historical information

The item was awarded to Dr Harry Jenkins for a motorcycle race. Jenkins was a Great War air ace and racing driver and had a dental practice in Collins Street Melbourne. He owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

This trophy demonstrates Harry Jenkins's reputed love of motor sport, speed and competition.

Inscriptions & Markings

Engraved on centre 2 sections: MOTOR CYCLE CLUB OF NSW SCRATCH RACE 4 HP AND OVER H JENKINS 16-2-10 Also Hallmarks SYDENHAM PATENT 2272 A S

lace trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

machine made lace trim made to look hand made. Some stretchiness

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

Seed drill

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Burgundy seed drill with cream wheels converted to tractor towing with blue metal towbar

Auger bits X 13

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Surface rust, some paint spots. Sizes stamped on.

Lace Trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine Lace (Lace Group Embrioderers' Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Package with note "LIMERICK LACE TRIMMINGS"

Winnower

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand operated winnower with handle and hopper unpainted

Journal of Churchill Island farm expenditure 1941-2

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Journal with red title print and red spine showing farm expenditure 1941-2.

Historical information

Record of farm expenditure, 1941-2 for Churchill Island farm owned by Harry Jenkins 1936-1963.

Significance

Shows historic farm activity on Churchill Island

Paper Statement re Estate - Final Statement re Estate of late Mrs Anna Hannah Gahan

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Paper document, Final Statement re Estate of late Mrs. Anna Hannah Gahan, relative of the wife of Harry Jenkins, Alice (nee Gahan), itemizing receipts and disbursements, dated 24/4/1936. Original typed.

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

This item demonstrates values and costs of era.

Inscriptions & Markings

Mrs. Anna Hannah Gahan, Alice Gahan, Alice Jenkins, Harry Jenkins, Churchill Island

SICKLE

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Right handed sickle. Blade painted black. Handle varnished

Level

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Paint spots and wear at grooves. Wood, glass bubbles, brass cover over bubble. Round maker's seal missing.

hand shears

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

hand shears with single spring, surface rust, unused, unsharpened

Black beaded/sequined trimming

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

2 layers - one strong background with fine top layer with beadwork - hand or machine? (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Black beaded trimming (hand beaded)".