Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed with Heritage Victoria and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven VIC 3925 (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214; 03 5951 2800

Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

332 items with images

332 items with images

lace trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Length of wide lace trim with dots on net ground and selvedge edge, other edge complex scallop. Machine made

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

Hand Auger

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Auger for working wood

Historical information

Alexander Mathieson & Sons Ltd ('& Sons', after c. 1890), of the Saracen Tool Works, Glasgow, advertised as 'manufacturers of planes, mechanical, engineering and edge-tools'. They received 'prize medals' at the London, Melbourne and Edinburgh International Exhibitions of 1851, 1862, 1880 and 1886, in their 'quest for perfection in tools'. Mathieson's vast output included specialised craft implements for coopers, ship's carpenters, tinsmiths and wheelwrights. The firm originated when master plane-maker John Manners opened premises in Saracen Lane, Glasgow, in 1792. 4 Alexander Mathieson (c. 1797–1852) took over his business in 1821, which he gave as the foundation date of his firm. He was later succeeded by his son, Thomas A. Mathieson (1822–1899), a prominent Glasgow magistrate and preceptor of Hutcheson's Hospital charitable institution. In 1854, Mathiesons moved to East Campbell Street, and had opened branches in Edinburgh, Dundee and Liverpool by 1876. The third generation comprised Thomas O. and James H. Mathieson (born 1867), the latter being a Glasgow bailie (councillor), whose estate totalled an enormous £150,939 in 1926. Mathieson's hand- and small machine-tools (e.g. bandsaws and beading machines) were exported worldwide, especially their 'heavy duty auger bits used... for boring railway sleepers'.

Inscriptions & Markings

Mathieson Glasgow (crescent moon trade mark) 2 1/4 " bore

Wool press

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wooden wool press with metal frame and mechanism

Wool Press

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

All metal wool press, unpainted, surface rust

twist drill bits X 8

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

A variety of sized drill bits, surface rust.

Wool press

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

All metal wool press, black

Stationary baler

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Stationary baler red, attached to green engine, white wheels

Inscriptions & Markings

"H.V. McKay, Massey Harvester, Sunshine" in white paint, white scroll mark

Lace Piece trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine made lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Handwritten notes on paper

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Herd notes. Handwritten notes in pencil on paper (lined) with script running across lines, with names and ages of herd.

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artefacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

The document demonstrates Harry Jenkins interest and committment to farming on Churchill Island and provides information on farming of the era.

wedge

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

one of three wedges cut from the same piece of steel. No relief grooves

Historical information

Use in conjunction with other wood splitting/cutting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan

Handwritten notes on paper

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Handwritten notes in pencil on paper, with names of six cows and milk quantities, morning and evening, and butterfat. Dated 14th September 1944. Assumed author Harry Jenkins.

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artefacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

The note demonstrates Harry Jenkins' interest in the farm and thorough approach to farming. It also provides information on farming of the era.

Adze

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Fairly modern standard adze

Historical information

Hytest is regarded as best Australian brand of axe.

Inscriptions & Markings

Hytest

Iron wheel

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Unpainted iron whell designed for heavy loads

Iron wheel

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Painted white, iron whell, possibly from seeder; some surface rust

cross cut saw

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Steel. Designed with bow in middle of blade. Small offset. Original ends in good conditions. No handles.

Medal - Australian Grand Prix 1st D Class 1929

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Silver shield shape medal with scroll detail, circular shape at bottom with blue border. Pin on back. Attached to blue ribbon.

Historical information

Won by Harry Jenkins, owner of Churchill Island (1936-1963), at Australian Grand Prix, Phillip Island, 1929, 1st Place, D. Class. Dr Jenkins was a Collins St dentist, but also an adventurer and road car racing enthusiast.

Inscriptions & Markings

Engraving on front of medal. "AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX / 1929 / 1st D. Class / Won by / H. JENKINS" Makers Mark "STGSU" Engraving on circular blue border "VICTORIAN LIGHT CAR CLUB"

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Chemical lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Seal fur strip

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

See photo

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis. Keywords janet amess lace collection; lace; churchill island Statement of Significance

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

razor strop

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Double sided, two strips. Metal ring one end, padded stitched handle at other. Horse hide.

Inscriptions & Markings

KEEN KUT GENUINE HORSE HIDE

Box spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Blacksmith made from bar stock with collar extension piece added on

Inscriptions & Markings

1 1/2

Thread cutter

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Thread cutter with two handles. Adjusting screw inside jaw

Inscriptions & Markings

"V" punched in. Die: "7/16 V"

Dining Table Cloth

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Damask dining table cloth, off-white, stitched motifs throughout of leaves and sprays. Hand stitched hem.

Historical information

Owned by Margaret Amess, youngest child of Samuel and Jane Amess. MA gave the cloth to Mary Clay, aunt of donor, who had been MA's maid prior to marriage.

Significance

Owned by Margaret Amess, youngest child of Samuel and Jane Amess. MA gave the cloth to Mary Clay, aunt of donor, who had been MA's maid prior to marriage.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inked black "M Amess" (ss smudged) in one corner.

tennon saw

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Cast steel blade and walnut handle. Surface rust and some paint spots on blade. "Nonpariel" brand. Elephant trade mark on handle and blade.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Nonpariel" brand. Elephant trade mark on handle and blade. W T Jackson Sheffield.

Counter-sinking bits X 5

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Various bits - paint marks, surface rust

Lace Piece trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine embroidered (lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Cast iron. Thick. Drill mark on handle and various strike marks.

Inscriptions & Markings

"7/8"

log splitting wedge

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

well used, slight surface rust. Octagonal shaft to collar then wedge. Top badly burred over from use.

fishing reel handle

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

brass handle with turned wooden handles either end, brass flat and slightly tapered each end, hole in centre for attaching to reel.

Historical information

E H "Ted" Jenkins was the paraplegic son of Harry Jenkins who bought Churchill Island in 1936 as an interest for Ted. Ted lived on Churchill Island at various times with his nurse Sr Margaret "Jimmy" Campbell, e.g. second world war when they ran a shorthorn dairy farm, and at other times lived in their home in Melbourne. Ted was keen on 'ham' radio, and had many friends from his school who became life-long friends and frequent visitors to him on Churchill Island.

Significance

E H "Ted" Jenkins was the paraplegic son of Harry Jenkins who bought Churchill Island in 1936 as an interest for Ted. Ted lived on Churchill Island at various times with his nurse Sr Margaret "Jimmy" Campbell, e.g. second world war when they ran a shorthorn dairy farm, and at other times lived in their home in Melbourne. Ted was keen on 'ham' radio, and had many friends from his school who became life-long friends and frequent visitors to him on Churchill Island.

Seed Drill

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Horse drawn seeder faded red with white wheels suitable for large seeds eg. corn, beans, peas.

Lace piece border on net

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine Lace (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12) Copy of Limerick lace. See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Note in package "LIMERICK LACE TRIMMINGS"