Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed with Heritage Victoria and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven VIC 3925 (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214; 03 5951 2800

Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

330 items with images

330 items with images

spoon drill bits X 2

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

For use with woods that splinter. Paint spots. For use in auger.

Inscriptions & Markings

14.5 cm long: NEUMANS GERMANY

saw set

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Steel. Complete including spring. No manufacturer. One paint trace.

Combination spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Broken one end. Small box spanner and broken open spanner one end, square box spanner with two open spanners at other end. Rusted.

Inscriptions & Markings

1_06

Fishing Reel

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wood and brass (shark?) fishing reel. Probably hand-made. Wound with original cord fishing line. Has separate brass winder handle (see 0296.2)

Historical information

E H "Ted" Jenkins was the paraplegic son of Harry Jenkins who bought Churchill Island in 1936 as an interest for Ted. Ted lived on Churchill Island at various times with his nurse Sr Margaret "Jimmy" Campbell, e.g. second world war when they ran a shorthorn dairy farm, and at other times lived in their home in Melbourne. Ted was keen on 'ham' radio, and had many friends from his school who became life-long friends and frequent visitors to him on Churchill Island.

Significance

This fishing reel and handle are the only objects, apart from photographs, that belonged to Ted Jenkins which are currently in the CI collection (3.12.2014)

Inscriptions & Markings

"E H Jenkins 1943" etched on one side. "Click on" etched on one side.

Model Ship - Lady Nelson

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

1:24 scale model of the Lady Nelson (c.1801) made from cardboard, wood, cord, string, wool. Carvill Hull black ochre-yellow colour, brown timbers. Masts fawn with black trim and fittings. Lifeboat hull clinker built black and white. White inside, brown floor. Brown oars x 4. Tied onto Lady Nelson deck. LN flags: jack on stern gaff yard, and Royal Naval pennant on peak of rear mast.

Historical information

The Lady Nelson was the first decked ship to enter Western Port at the beginning of 1801, captained by Lt James Grant, who named Churchill Island after a man in Dawlish, Devon who gave him a quantity of a variety of seeds, including wheat, which he sowed on CI. Lady Nelson returned at the end of the year under the command of Murray, who reported that most of the seeds had grown. He harvested the wheat to feed to the swans they had on board for fresh meat. Friends of Churchill Island Society commissioned the building of the model ship from David Lumsden, who built it for FOCIS for the cost of materials.

Significance

See historical information for the significance of the Lady Nelson to Churchill Island.

Inscriptions & Markings

"LADY NELSON" on stern white lettering on black.

Ring Spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Octagonal ring spanner to go with Essex car, therefore to go with milk cart wheels, see cat # 0158

lace trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Length of wide lace trim with dots on net ground and selvedge edge, other edge complex scallop. Machine made

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

Bill hook

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Rough pine handle with many borer holes. Commercially made (no ID) cast in socket one end, strap iron riveted other end. Cast blade.

Handwritten notes on paper

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Notes handwritten in pencil on paper regarding fertilizer amounts in 100 weight bags per paddock, 11 paddocks. Dated 1959. Assumed to be written by Harry Jenkins

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

The document demonstrates Harry Jenkins interest and committment to farming on Churchill Island and provides information on farming of the era.

Block plane

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Wooden smoothing plane with handle. Adjustable via wedge. Borer holes in handle.

Inscriptions & Markings

Ward blade. Plane made by Mathieson & Son Glasgow Best Guaranteed.

Lace Piece

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine embroidered (lace group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Lace Piece trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Machine lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Hay rake

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Burgundy hay rake, yellow wheels, double row of rakes.

Historical information

More modern than other rake in collection

Driving shaft

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Overhead driving shaft with 3 wheels for shearing machines

Forge blower

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Forge blower painted red

Milk cart

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Unpainted wooden milk vendor cart, rubber inflatable tyres ( perished)

Inscriptions & Markings

"Milk Vendor" painted on right side

Small crochet round pieces x 4

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand crochet (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (4)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Supper Cloth

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Linen supper cloth with drawn thread 55mm from edge all around, 2 rows of drawn thread with petals 130 mm from edge and 175mm from edge. Drawn thread at corners showing petals and whorls. White. Butterflies embroidered at alternate diagonal corners. Letters "M" and "A" at the other alternate diagonal corners. White embroidery on white linen. Butterfly motif.

Historical information

Supper cloth embroidered by Margaret Amess, youngest child of Samuel and Jane Amess. Margaret Amess gave the supper cloth to Mary Clay, aunt of the donor.

Inscriptions & Markings

"M" "A" in diagonal corners.

Farrier's nippers/nail pullers

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Blacksmith's made black iron complete. Split end one handle; knob end other handle

Inscriptions & Markings

Stamped: "7"

Super spreader

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Horse drawn, burgundy and white hopper, unpainted shafts, rubber wheels

Swingle trees

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Two horse swingle trees hinged either end of one long swingle tree. Unpainted timber, metal fittings

Block plane

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

US elm base.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Millers Falls Warranted" on blade. "M.D.W" carved on side

Handwritten notes on paper

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Handwritten notes in pencil on paper, with names of six cows and milk quantities, morning and evening, and butterfat. Dated 14th September 1944. Assumed author Harry Jenkins.

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artefacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

The note demonstrates Harry Jenkins' interest in the farm and thorough approach to farming. It also provides information on farming of the era.

length of lace trim

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

machine made undulating floral design on net ground

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929

spanner

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

open ended cast spanner. Heavy duty. Handle has 2 small drill holes

Inscriptions & Markings

7/8 on jaw

White cotton boudoir cap

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Boudoir cap for keeping curlers in place. Acceptable to wear with visitors. Used at night to keep hair neat. (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12). See photos (3).

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "White cotton handmade lace mob cap"

Cigar holder

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Silver holder for 4 cigars awarded to Dr Harry Jenkins, owner of Churchill Island 1936-63.

Historical information

The item was awarded to Dr Harry Jenkins for a motorcycle race. Jenkins was a Great War air ace and racing driver and had a dental practice in Collins Street Melbourne. He owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

This trophy demonstrates Harry Jenkins's reputed love of motor sport, speed and competition.

Inscriptions & Markings

Engraved on centre 2 sections: MOTOR CYCLE CLUB OF NSW SCRATCH RACE 4 HP AND OVER H JENKINS 16-2-10 Also Hallmarks SYDENHAM PATENT 2272 A S

Lace Insert

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Chemical lace (Lace Group Embroiderers' Guild 1/3/12). See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Package contains note: "FICHU c1860/70 (hand made)

wedge

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

One of three wedges cut from one piece of steel. Blacksmith made.

Historical information

Used in conjunction with other wood splitting/cutting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan

Bed jacket

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Motifs hand sewn on to machined net; bobbin tape on seams (NGV) Princess machine lace machine made motifs hand-appliqued on (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (4) See also 0086 cuff.

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Machined lace bed jacket. Janet Amess 1860. From Kel Bright Collection with separated cuff".