Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Churchill Island Heritage Farm Newhaven, Victoria

Churchill Island Heritage Farm covers 57 hectares and boasts a historic working farm with ‘hands on’ farming demonstrations reminiscent of a bygone era. Sheep shearing, cow milking and working dog demonstrations run every day except Christmas day and are included in the entry fee. Carriage rides operate during school holidays and special events. Churchill Island is easily accessible by an all-vehicle bridge from Phillip Island.First walked by Bunurong/Boonwurrung Aboriginal people, the island has an important place in the history of European settlement in Victoria. There are also restored historic buildings from the 1860s and 1870s, lovely gardens, ancient Moonah trees, wetlands, a visitor’s centre and a licensed café.

The Island forms part of the Churchill Island Marine National park and the waters and mudflats surrounding Churchill Island are listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. Two island circuit tracks offers magnificent views across Western Port Bay and provide excellent bird viewing (Royal Spoonbills, Pied Oyster Catchers, ibis, gulls, herons and pelicans). There are also views of Tortoise Head and French Island. The whole island is heritage listed with Heritage Victoria and the buildings are classified by the National Trust.

Links

Contact Information

location
246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven VIC 3925 (map)
phone
+61 03 5956 7214; 03 5951 2800

Contact

Opening Hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Entry Fee

Adults (16yrs+) $12.25 Children (4-15yrs) $6.15 Australian Pensioner(ID required) $8.55 Family (2A +2C) $30.65

Location

246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

View on Google Maps

This collection forms the basis for the operations of Churchill Island Heritage Farm, which is located on Churchill Island, where in 1801, during a survey of Western Port Bay, Lieutenant James Grant built a cottage, cleared land and planted the first wheat and corn crops grown in Victoria, using seeds provided by John Churchill. The working farm features a homestead, built by Samuel Amess, a one-time mayor of Melbourne who purchased the island in 1872, together with cottages built by John Rogers in the 1860s and associated outbuildings. As well as the heritage buildings, the collection includes agricultural machinery, implements, and tools, special collections of farm engines and dairy equipment, and historical photographs. The collection is managed by Churchill Island Heritage Farm curator.

Significance

This collection documents early Victorian rural life and agriculture, and the history of the site where crops were first grown in Victoria in 1801; includes also information on the various owners of the island and Government ownership from 1970s.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

936 items with images

936 items with images

Photograph of a resting working horse

Key words

churchill island
photograph

Photograph of a Clydesdale in harness being held by a man partially out of frame.

Historical information

Churchill Island Heritage Farm has a large photograph collection dating from the nineteenth century.

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue number written on reverse in pencil Written in pen on reverse 'Resting working horse + handler C.I. Easter Festival 30/3/2013'

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Billie Wilson on Tractor

Key words

churchill island
photograph

Black and white photograph of a women driving a tractor on a muddy ground with wooden/corrugated steel buildings in the background.

Historical information

Churchill Island Heritage Farm has a large photograph collection dating from the mid-nineteenth century to the last decade. This series of photographs show candid pictures taken by previous residents of the Island.

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue number written in pencil on the reverse. 'Think it is Billie Wilson on Tractor' written in pencil on reverse. 'c.1941' written in pencil in different hand on reverse. 'Kodak Print' stamp on reverse. '6''29' stamp in blue ink on reverse

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Photograph of group of people

Key words

churchill island
amess house

Black and white photograph with white border of a group of seven people standing near Amess House gathered around a partial view of the cannon.

Historical information

Churchill Island Heritage Farm has a large photographic collection dating from the nineteenth century to the present.

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue number written on reverse in pencil

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

wedge

Key words

timber splitting
churchill island heritage farm
olinda
shady creek
blacksmith made
wilfred dungan collection

one of three wedges cut from one piece of steel. No relief grooves.

Historical information

Used in conjunction with other wood splitting/cutting tools donated by Wilfred Dungan

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Photograph of group gathering hay

Key words

churchill island

Black and white photograph of man manually raking hay in the foreground, a woman driving a horse gathering hay in the background with a windmill in the background

Historical information

Churchill Island has a significant photograph collection dating from the nineteenth century.

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue number written in pencil on reverse. Stamped on reverse 'Josanne Broer Copyright 2000 59525700 0411234914'

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Photograph of men loading a cart from the ferry

Key words

churchill island
farming

Black and White photograph of men loading a horse drawn cart from a ferry tied up to a jetty on Churchill Island.

Historical information

Churchill Island Heritage Farm has a large photograph collection dating from the mid-nineteenth century to the last decade. This series of photographs show candid pictures taken by previous residents of the Island.

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue number written on reverse in pencil. Handwritten on reverse 'CHURCHILL ISLAND SIDE - JETTY & loading the cart'

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Group photograph sitting on bench

Key words

churchill island
harry jenkins

Black and white photograph with white border showing Joan Evans (nee Curtis), Doug Finlason, and Harry Jenkins sitting on a bench with Ann Smith on a small trailer.

Historical information

Churchill Island Heritage Farm has a large photographic collection dating from the nineteenth century to the present.

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue number written on reverse in pen/pencil Hand written on reverse in pen 'On seat in front of the olive tree. From left JOAN CURTIS (LATER JOAN EVANS) DOUG FINLASON HARRY JENKINS Young one in front is ANN SMITH DATE AROUND 1951' Written on reverse in pencil '0617.13' 'L052'

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Black and white photograph of three men on a cannon

Key words

churchill island
cannon

Black and White photograph of Mal McCartney, Guy Evans, and Gid Ashley posing around the cannon with the Norfolk Pine and Amess House.

Historical information

Churchill Island has a large photograph collection dating from the nineteenth century. This series consists of candid photographs of everyday life taken by previous residents of the island.

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue number written on reverse in pencil. Handwritten in pen on reverse: '1940. CANNON SHOWING NUMBER OF CANNON BALLS. MAL MCCARTNEY GUY EVANS GID ASHLEY'

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Negative of family standing near the cannon

Key words

churchill island

Negative of a man standing next to the cannon with a group of people in the background

Historical information

Churchill Island Heritage Farm has a large photograph collection dating from the nineteenth century

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Potato digger

Key words

farm machinery
digging
harvesting
potatoes
prize
horse drawn

Potato digger, ground drive, single row

Significance

Typical of machines used in Gippsland

Inscriptions & Markings

Patent potato digger, winner of the first proize of 20. Martin's Cultivator Co, Stamford

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Photoraph of the 'FOCIS' display in the Visitor's Centre

Key words

churchill island
photograph

Photoraph of the 'FOCIS' display in the Visitor's Centre with signs for the 1993 Photo Competition Spring Festival with winning entries from 1992

Historical information

Churchill Island Heritage Farm has a large photograph collection dating from the nineteenth century.

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue number on reverse in pencil.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Hand drawn map of Churchill Island

Key words

churchill island
purchase
harry jenkins
jenkins
margaret campbell
sister campbell
real estate
solicitor

Hand drawn map in pencil on paper of situation and measurements of land contained in Vendor's Title. Attached to solicitor's letter catalogue item No. 0108.1

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

This document is an example of a hand drawn map of the era, measured in links.

Inscriptions & Markings

[signed] Hen B [bottom right hand corner]

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Final Statement re Estate of late Mrs Anna Hannah Gahan

Key words

mrs. anna hannah gahan
alice gahan
alice jenkins
harry jenkins
churchill island
gahan
jenkins
statement

Paper document, Final Statement re Estate of late Mrs. Anna Hannah Gahan, relative of the wife of Harry Jenkins, Alice (nee Gahan), itemizing receipts and disbursements, dated 24/4/1936. Original typed.

Historical information

Dr Harry Jenkins owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.

Significance

This item demonstrates values and costs of era.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Photograph of dog running towards horse ploughing

Key words

churchill island

Black and white photograph of dog running towards horse ploughing

Historical information

Churchill Island has a significant photograph collection dating from the nineteenth century.

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue number written in pencil on reverse. On reverse in pencil 'Think this is the Boys Home (Phillip Island) end of the low tide crossing' 'c 1938' ''Jock' the sheep dog'

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Photograph of Highland Cattle

Key words

churchill island

Black and White Photograph of two Highland Cattle grazing in a paddock enclosed by a wooden fence, behind a sign reading 'F.O.C.I.S. Highland Cattle Fold - Churchill Island.'

Historical information

Churchill Island Heritage Farm has a large photograph collection dating from the nineteenth century. This series provides an insight into the early days of Churchill Island as a Conservation site.

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue number written on reverse in pencil

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Furphy Water Cart

Key words

farm machinery
water
furphy cart
horse drawn

Furphy water cart, unpainted with traces of red on embossed end

Historical information

Furphy carts were an important item in Australian agriculture, leading to the addition of the word "furphy" a misleading rumour (originally as spread from gossip around the water cart).

Inscriptions & Markings

On side of tank in black paint "CHRURCILL ISLAND" Embossed on end: Furphy water cart; makers Furphy & Sons, Shepparton and other inscriptions.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Photograph of farm machinery

Key words

churchill island

Black and white photograph with white border of farm machinery with a stand of trees and the Churchill Island shoreline in the background.

Historical information

Churchill Island Heritage Farm has a large photographic collection dating from the nineteenth century to the present.

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue number written on reverse in pencil

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Photograph of school planting group

Key words

churchill island
planting group

Black and White Photograph with irregular white border of group of school children planting. View on Churchill Island overlooking the water. Caption: 'The children are planting gum trees near the coast overlooking the housing estate on Phillip Island'

Historical information

Churchill Island Heritage Farm has a large photograph collection dating from the mid-nineteenth century to the last decade. This series of photographs show the restoration and building of the Churchill Island precinct and the enormous amount of collaboration and work that went into the development of the heritage area.

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue number in pencil on reverse

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Bed Jacket, Cuff

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
janet
amess
bed
jacket
cuff
garment
clothing
princess
machine
bobbin

Cuff from 0086. Motifs hand sewn on to machined net. Bobbin tape on seams (NGV) Princess machine lace. Machine made motifs hand appliqued on (Lace group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12). See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

Packaged with note: "Limerick lace bed jacket Janet Amess 1860 from Kel Bright collection with separated cuff".

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lace Trim

Key words

churchill island
lace
janet amess lace collection
amess

See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Pair gloves

Key words

gloves
ladies gloves
pigskin gloves
fashion
churchill island heritage farm

One pair tan ladies pigskin gloves. Three lines of stitched decoration on back of both gloves

Historical information

Belonged to CIHF volunteer Jeff Cole's aunt May Hart, a very stylish woman of the 1920s, keen on horse racing

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Garden barrow

Key words

farm machinery
barrow
hand operated
hand made

Handmade garden wheelbarrow with wooden flat tray and single metal wheel

Historical information

Found in Amess Barn 1980s;

Significance

Typical of local farms

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lace Trim

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
amess
machine

Machine lace (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (2)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

SICKLE

Key words

sickle
harvesting
churchill island heritage farm

Right handed sickle. Blade painted black. Handle varnished

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

spanner

Cast iron. Thick. Drill mark on handle and various strike marks.

Inscriptions & Markings

"7/8"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Photograph of pine trees surrounding a pasture

Key words

churchill island
landscape

Black and white photograph with white border showing a group of large pine trees surrounding a pasture. Squat plank benches line the open field.

Historical information

Churchill Island Heritage Farm has a large photographic collection dating from the nineteenth century to the present. This series of photos comes from an album entitled 'Aspects of Churchill Island'.

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue number written on reverse in pen/pencil

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Photograph of a cow

Key words

churchill island

Black and white photograph with white border of a cow standing in front of a barn

Historical information

Churchill Island Heritage Farm has a large photographic collection dating from the nineteenth century to the present.

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue number written on reverse in pencil

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Black and white photograph of horses and cart

Key words

churchill island
amess house
barn
horse

Black and white photograph of a horse, a foal, and a cart in front of a leaning tree with a barn on the right side.

Historical information

Churchill Island Heritage Farm has a large photograph collection dating from the mid-nineteenth century to the last decade

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue number written in pencil on reverse. On reverse in pen '1939 Building on right is the old hay barn'

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Lace Fichu

Key words

janet amess lace collection
lace
churchill island
janet
amess
bobbin
maltese
silk
embroidery

Bobbin silk (NGV) Maltese silk bobbin lace 6 petal tallies (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12) See photos (3)

Historical information

The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are: Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island. Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.

Significance

The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.

Inscriptions & Markings

packaged with note "Fichu Maltese Lace c 1865"

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven

Photograph of horse pulling cart raking hay

Key words

churchill island

Black and white photograph of horse pulling a cart raking hay.

Historical information

Churchill Island has a significant photograph collection dating from the nineteenth century.

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue number written in pencil on reverse. Stamped on reverse 'Josanne Broer Copyright 2000 59525700 0411234914'

Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Newhaven